Ibanez RT 450 - 1994 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez RT 450 - 1994

I'm new to the forum, so, first of all, hello to everybody and thanks in advance.

I got this deal, a 94 IBanez RT 450 for about 270 bucks. All original, except the pickguard.

The owner says that's in wonderful shape.

Can you tell me if it's a good deal?

Thanks a lot,

Regards,

Ricardo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Ibanez RT 450 - 1994

If it's in good shape--that's a decent deal. Without pics or any specific info, it's really hard to tell.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
If it's in good shape--that's a decent deal. Without pics or any specific info, it's really hard to tell.
I would love to show you the link, but i'm a newbie, so i'm not allowed to post any link.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordongin View Post
I would love to show you the link, but i'm a newbie, so i'm not allowed to post any link.
I've got your back:

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 10:21 PM

It looks correct for an RT450 except the tuners have been swapped out (it should have Gotoh Magnum locking tuners which have a slot on the top of the shaft for locking/unlocking them). Also, I'd question whether that's the original bridge pickup, but it's hard to tell from the image. The poles closest to the bridge should have slotted, adjustable pole pieces. Other than that, it looks to be in good shape. For those of us that love them, $270 for a clean RT450 would be a good deal. You can always replace the tuners and guard later. These are very fine guitars and it's become harder to find good ones in recent years.

Cheers,
Bert

Edit -- also noticed the knobs have been changed (should be black), but that's definitely nothing that would bother me.

Last edited by stratoskier; 04-03-2011 at 10:27 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 10:29 PM

Reviews: 11

I'd say go for it.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoskier View Post
It looks correct for an RT450 except the tuners have been swapped out (it should have Gotoh Magnum locking tuners which have a slot on the top of the shaft for locking/unlocking them). Also, I'd question whether that's the original bridge pickup, but it's hard to tell from the image. The poles closest to the bridge should have slotted, adjustable pole pieces. Other than that, it looks to be in good shape. For those of us that love them, $270 for a clean RT450 would be a good deal. You can always replace the tuners and guard later. These are very fine guitars and it's become harder to find good ones in recent years.

Cheers,
Bert

Edit -- also noticed the knobs have been changed (should be black), but that's definitely nothing that would bother me.

Thanks for all the replies.

Sorry, but i'm portuguese and some things, got lost in translation

"The poles closest to the bridge should have slotted, adjustable pole pieces." Can you explain it to me, please. Because i surely know what that might be, but my english it's average. =)

Even with the things you've metioned, it's a nice buy?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 08:56 AM

No problem. I do not think the bridge pickup is the original Ibanez V8. For one thing, you can see how new it looks compared to the other two pickups. Also, on a V8 pickup the tops of the 6 chrome pole pieces (the round things in the pickup) closest to the bridge, should have slots in the top to adjust their height with a screwdriver. I can't see those in the image.

BUT -- if I were you, I wouldn't worry about that. I don't really like V8 pickups anyway. Many people switch them out for something different. I think $270 IS a good deal. Also, these are probably hard to find in Portugal, right?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
No problem. I do not think the bridge pickup is the original Ibanez V8. For one thing, you can see how new it looks compared to the other two pickups. Also, on a V8 pickup the tops of the 6 chrome pole pieces (the round things in the pickup) closest to the bridge, should have slots in the top to adjust their height with a screwdriver. I can't see those in the image.

BUT -- if I were you, I wouldn't worry about that. I don't really like V8 pickups anyway. Many people switch them out for something different. I think $270 IS a good deal. Also, these are probably hard to find in Portugal, right?

Hello,
Thank for your reply.

They're really hard to find everywhere, i guess. Ebay.com has one, an rt 650 and does not ship outside US. There was another one in ebay UK, but that was a RT150, with
  • Dimarzio Tonezone humbucker in the bridge position
  • Kent Armstrong HR-01 in the neck position
  • Dimarzio HS-2 in the middle position
  • High-end Wilkinson bridge/tremolo assembly with big steel block
  • Push/pull tone knob to split the humbuckers
  • Knurled black metal dome knobs
But the shipping it was really expensive and only the guitar, was about 350 dollars. So i kept away from it. But it was tempting, because it looked in wonderful shape.

So, i guess they're really hard to find, and i do prefer an "old" RT than a new SAS ou SA. =)

Thanks,
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Hello to you all!!!

I bought it but i'm going to have in the end of the week. The owner live for 200 miles away and i asked a friend who live near to get it for me.

He told me that the tuners are the gotoh. But, now i need a trem arm for the bridge.

So, i need advice. I don't have any experience with this bridge, but i have with wilkinson trem, and that's a really nice trem.

Can you please give some insight about quality of the original trem and which trem arm should i buy?

Thank you all,

Regards,
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 09:08 PM

I like the TZ-II trems a lot. I've had very good luck with them for tuning stability and feel.

The arm isn't a slide-in like most Wilkinsons. The TZII arm has a threaded end. The shaft is about 5mm diameter, but I don't what the threads are. BUT I just checked and the trem arm on a Wilkinson VSVG fits pretty tight and would work if you can't find a threaded arm that fits. I'd suggest that after you get it, make a trip to a guitar shop and find something that fits. Let us know if you can't find one!
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 10:39 PM

I like it, but I don't like the clear pick up on it.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I like the TZ-II trems a lot. I've had very good luck with them for tuning stability and feel.

The arm isn't a slide-in like most Wilkinsons. The TZII arm has a threaded end. The shaft is about 5mm diameter, but I don't what the threads are. BUT I just checked and the trem arm on a Wilkinson VSVG fits pretty tight and would work if you can't find a threaded arm that fits. I'd suggest that after you get it, make a trip to a guitar shop and find something that fits. Let us know if you can't find one!
Hello,
I guess i'll have the guitar next friday, i have a few fender tremolo arms laying around. I'll try a few next saturday and let you guys know.

Thank you for all your help.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 02:13 PM

Reviews: 4

Looks great but, I'd definitely do some modding on arrival...
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGrendel View Post
Looks great but, I'd definitely do some modding on arrival...
Hello, i wanna to, but i don't have habilities with electronics.
A have a breed and a evo without use, and i'll ask somebody to install them. But, only in May. Short on cash.

But, one thing is for sure, the guard gotta go!!! =)

Tags
ibanez rt 450 1994 japan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode