Ibanez RT (and related series) Neck Question - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez RT (and related series) Neck Question

Hi guys... thanks for creating such a great site.

I've been a long time Ibanez user/fan and have a burning question.

I have (what I believe is) a slightly modified Ibanez RT Series from the early 90's. The guitar has seen better days and I'm looking to find something to replace it. Anyway, the neck is the most important feature of that guitar and I have played a huge range of instruments but never found a match. Heck, I bought a Sadowsky thinking it would be the end-all of guitars, and I still miss that darn neck.

So what mode in the Ibanez line up offers something comparable to that perfect Ibanez RT Viper neck? Perfect slim C, perfect dims, etc etc...

Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 07:48 PM

Re: Ibanez RT (and related series) Neck Question

Wondering which model RT you have -- any binding on the neck (650 only)? Two post (450 and 650) or vintage 6-screw trem (150 only)? The necks on the 3 models varied a bit.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoskier View Post
Wondering which model RT you have -- any binding on the neck (650 only)? Two post (450 and 650) or vintage 6-screw trem (150 only)? The necks on the 3 models varied a bit.
Well, I was told this is an RT450 -- but I never was able to verify it completely as it is an **** purchase and it doesnt have any models or references anywhere on it (other than a Japan stamp on the neck plate and back of headstock). There are no string trees.

Here's a link to a picture -- sorry I don't have enough posts to put in here directly.

img138.imageshack.us/img138/7462/41174030.jpg
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 10:20 PM

Reviews: 1

I find it comparable to the JS neck (I've got an RT450).

Then again, I think the Andy Timmons series is based on the RT? So, I suppose his model is closest (I've never played any AT series).
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelo View Post
I find it comparable to the JS neck (I've got an RT450).

Then again, I think the Andy Timmons series is based on the RT? So, I suppose his model is closest (I've never played any AT series).
Thanks for this -- I noticed that the radius is a lot closer with the JS Series (not the 400mm flatboard that seems to be on most RGs).

Unfortunately, I am REALLY not a fan of locking systems and it would appear that the JS series seem to all have lockers. Bummer...
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 08:01 AM

Yeah, looks like an RT450 with a swapped pickguard and no middle single. Oddly, the neck on the RT650 has never felt like a regular Viper to me -- along with adding the binding, the fretboard radius is slightly flatter and the overall thickness of the neck is greater. I definitely prefer the RT450 and 150 over the 650.

I would agree that the JS and AT models are closest, with the JS neck being closest to an old Viper. The AT neck is unusual in several respects. Not sure if you'd consider a fixed bridge, but Rich (Ibanez Rules) has a great deal on the new JS1600 fixed bridge model right now. Fantastic guitars.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for this! I'm going to look into the JS series. I want to find one without a locking nut and with a bridge that I can limit movement of -- perhaps that JS1600 is the ticket (although a bit pricier than I was hoping for).

Any other ideas appreciated as well.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 03:19 PM

Funny that people always associate the RT's with Andy Timmons as being a "pre-AT model." The only time I've ever seen him with an RT was in the 1993 and 1994 catalogs. In both catalogs, he's holding an RT450BK, but in the '94 catalog, the pic is on the RX series page. Odd that he's not also associated with the USA Custom line, since that's what he's holding in the 1992 catalog, and what he's representing in at least one 90's era magazine ad or promo.

Everything I've seen him actually play live from the early 90's was RG based.

The AT may LOOK like the RT (actually MORE like the RX w/the rounded body edge), but they're really not close at all in tone or feel.

If somebody's got some documentation of his association with the RT other than for advertising, I'd love to see it. And I don't mean that in a bad way - I'd seriously like to see it. I did a search and found nothing but for-sale ads claiming "Andy Timmons RT-Series" and such. And that's not exactly documentation.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 04:07 PM

You're right that he actually had almost nothing to do with the RT. I also chuckle when I see old RTs called the "early Timmons model." In fact, when Andy was here for a clinic a couple of years ago, I mentioned to him that I had some old RT guitars and he couldn't remember what those were! (Seems sort of like Joe and the Power series).

Anyway, my suggestion that the OP might like the AT or JS is because those are the only two high quality (!) recent Ibys I'm aware of with a real strat-like feel. As I noted, though, the AT strays a bit from a classic strat shape in both its width and thickness profiles -- it's a little unusual. No intention to suggest that the AT evolved from the RT or anything like that.

Last edited by stratoskier; 10-11-2010 at 04:19 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 05:57 PM

stratoskier is spot on, especially with the assessment of the differences between the 650 and 450/150 necks. it's funny that ibanez just slapped the 'viper' label on a whole group of necks that feel quite a bit different than each other. even the viper profile on the rv series (the radius version of the rt) feels different than the rt450 viper, even though at first glance they look very similar. but the js series is pretty close and is definitely the closest you'll get in the current line-up.

the other option is to keep your eye on e-bay. the rt450s and rt150s will occassionally show up and they rarely go for more than $400 - $450. i've bought seven 450s off e-bay and have never paid more than $300, which is an absolute steal for japanese made fujigen guitars. you just have to ask a lot of questions about the condition of the guitar since it is nearly 20 years old at this point.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

OK, so I'm going to try to get my hands on some JS models. Which JS models have fixed bridges?

For the JS models with locking nuts, do their bridges require you to clip the ball ends off strings or do some of them accept the ball ends? Any exceptions?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 02:53 PM

i'd suggest the current js model, which is the js1600. very basic guitar: mahogony body, gotoh fixed bridge (string through body), planet waves locking tuners, 22 frets. it's basically an updated version of the js6, which was released back in 92 i believe (same year as the rt ironically).

if you like the feel of the edge trem but want a fixed bridge, you can also look for the js2000. they have a fixed bridge that is based off of the edge trem, so the strings lock in the trem and at the nut. i personally think it's overkill, but i guess you can't deny the tuning stability. with this model, you'd have to clip the ball ends. the js1600 also automatically clips the ends (not the ball end) due to the planet waves tuners. and the js6 does not have locking tuners, so it doesn't clip at all. hope that helps.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 06:19 PM

the 542R and 442R and RV470? all of these were similar to the JS body style and were non locking trem guitars. check out 92 or 93 catalogs for these....
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 06:20 PM

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 06:21 PM

or you can wait for the JS prototype that he played on the jimi hendrix experience tour. but if memory serves me correctly that one had an edge trem as well.

Tags
rt rx neck profile

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode