Ibanez RT450 or RG 570 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez RT450 or RG 570

Hi everyone, I am currently looking for a new guitar, preferably a not-too-expensive one, that will still deliver.
Only today someone offered me an Ibanez RT 450 and a RG 570, the RT is from 1992 and the RG from 2002, both of them for cheap.
They are both in good condition, all original, etc.
I don'T know much about the Ibanez RT, since information is scarce, and all I managed to gather is that it is a rare find and that the body is alder, so if you have any informaton whatsoever, I would be grateful.
What are your thoughts on these axes?
Greetings Ibanezrg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 06:38 PM

Re: Ibanez RT450 or RG 570

it'll boil down to personal preference. the rt series was only made for one year ('92 i believe) and the purpose was to meld the vintage styling and feel of something like a strat with the modern advances of the rg series. so you basically have ibanez's take on a strat. standard strat style trem, thicker strat style neck (similar in feel to a js neck), locking tuners (no locking nut), very vintage styling and finish. it still has 24 frets and i believe what translate to a 12" fingerboard radius, which is generally a little flatter than your typical strat.

the rg of course will have the floating trem, locking nut and the wizard neck. if those are important to you, then you may want to pass on the rt. but the rt is a fantastic guitar, very well built and it sounds great (although i put duncans in mine).

you should be able to find a catalog pic from that year around somewhere for more info on the rt. maybe someone will post it in this thread for you?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 08:53 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastachild View Post
it'll boil down to personal preference. the rt series was only made for one year ('92 i believe) and the purpose was to meld the vintage styling and feel of something like a strat with the modern advances of the rg series. so you basically have ibanez's take on a strat. standard strat style trem, thicker strat style neck (similar in feel to a js neck), locking tuners (no locking nut), very vintage styling and finish. it still has 24 frets and i believe what translate to a 12" fingerboard radius, which is generally a little flatter than your typical strat.

the rg of course will have the floating trem, locking nut and the wizard neck. if those are important to you, then you may want to pass on the rt. but the rt is a fantastic guitar, very well built and it sounds great (although i put duncans in mine).

you should be able to find a catalog pic from that year around somewhere for more info on the rt. maybe someone will post it in this thread for you?
Rastachild covered a lot of good points. I own both guitars (I think the same years as well). The RT has a "viper" neck profile, reminiscent of a JS guitar, as well as a push-pull coil tap. If you can, try out both one after another.
I find the necks are radically different and, of course, the trems make a world of difference. In the end, you might want to consider whether or not you want to deal with a floater (if that matters) versus the vintage trem, as well as a thin (RG) vs thicker (RT) neck. The only other alder-bodied guitar I own is a Washburn N2 and I find it a bit different than the basswood bodies.

Nevertheless, I always go back to my RT for heavy play.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the answers.
I will not be able to try out both guitars, since the seller lives to far away, making it imposible for me to try them out.
At the moment however, I seem to gravitate towards the RT, since, at least going by the images I got from the seller, it's a very nice looking guitar, sunburst with a dark pickguard, and I always liked the JS necks very much, as well as the H-S-H configuration of most superstrats, so I will probably go for the RT, since I already have a floater but no vintage trem...
I also read that the RT is a popular guitar for modders, and since you said you have one, I would like to ask you, if you have modified it in any way and if you know if any part of the guitar truly needs replacement.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Dammit, it's not decided yet, because someone decided to offer me a jewel blue rg 570 from 1992. Are those any different from the regular 570s?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 11:02 PM

I've seen many here say that 2002 was one of the best years for Ibanez guitars. If it were my choice i'd probably go for the '02 570 but I do prefer floaters. Just wondering, what colour is it?

Rock on!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 04:16 AM Thread Starter

It's dark blue.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 10:45 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanezrg View Post
Thank you for the answers.
I will not be able to try out both guitars, since the seller lives to far away, making it imposible for me to try them out.
At the moment however, I seem to gravitate towards the RT, since, at least going by the images I got from the seller, it's a very nice looking guitar, sunburst with a dark pickguard, and I always liked the JS necks very much, as well as the H-S-H configuration of most superstrats, so I will probably go for the RT, since I already have a floater but no vintage trem...
I also read that the RT is a popular guitar for modders, and since you said you have one, I would like to ask you, if you have modified it in any way and if you know if any part of the guitar truly needs replacement.
I haven't done many mods to it (although it is truly the RG 5XX's that are the heavy mods around here). The simple mods I have done are a pickup swap, and the original pickguard was removed before I picked it up (the original was a brown tortoise and changed to a white guard). I also changed the pots, as they were starting to sound their age. I originally wanted to do the tuners as well, but the stock tuners seem to stay fine.

In the next few months, I need to re-solder a few connections and install some new parts; namely a jack. I also want to get a black guard on it (it has a black body) and either install all white knobs/pickups (a la a pbk) or all green (like a green dot)

Tags
rg 570 , rg570 , rt 450 , rt450

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode