Ibanez JEM Forum banner

ibanez rx350? what is it?

13K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  adamlee011 
#1 ·
Hey all,

One of my friends here knew that I've been looking for an ibanez for a good while, so he's been trying to convince me to buy his rx350. I never saw or heard of it before, anyone know about it? He's off in college, so he only showed me pics of it. He bought it used based on feel and tone, so he doesnt know much about the specs.

So, here's what I'd like to know:
He told me that the neck was very thin and wizard-like, what do you think?
What kind of wood is it made out of?
How would it compare to an 80s/90s rg550 if I had bought one of those?
My pal plays 80s type metal, while I prefer more modern metal. Will this guitar
(with pickup changes) do metal? For one, I've just been getting into bands like Nightwish and Sonata Arctica

Thx for the help =D

#6 ·
I registered just to post this. I realize this is a very old thread but if you happen to come upon it like I did, this may be useful. To know about the rx350. There were budget models like the rx20 and such but the 350 is one of the best guitars I own. Ive had it for 15 years or so. At the time I spent about 450 us for it. I recently found some being solD for over 1200. They just don't make them like this anymore. At least not as an average model. The materials and craftsmanship are more the type you would expect of a j custom or prestige. The body is one solid piece of American maple. The neck and fret board are both maple. It has an rg like body that is contoured more like a strat. The play on it I wonderful. The pickups are dimarzio copies made by Ibanez and sound fantastic. It has a push pull coiltap in the tone knob. Mine has a trans blue finish and the woodgrain underneath is flamed in some places. Wonderful instrument. Absolutely NOT something I would pass on if I found one for less than 500.

#8 ·
I recently dug up the catalog for these. They were only made like 2 years between the ex and grx. The paint options were different each year. The push pull strangely was not mentioned but it was listed on the jem for that year. Or maybe it was an rg or rx650 that listed it as the same feature from the jem. I don't recall. But it was absent in the description of the rx350. Apparently they made a 12 string. I believe it was called the rx355. I bet that's a rare bird indeed. I've changed the pickups on all my ibanez guitars except for this one. No need. They're very high output and versatile. Ceramic in the bridge and alnico in the neck. Only info I found on the pickups is that they're ibanez but they're very obviously a DiMarzio design. Possibly even dimarzio manufactured and ibanez branded. Whatever the case, they've served me well for 27 years now. I'm planning to swap all the hardware for gold and locking tuners. Not that it needs it. Purely asthetic. And the new version of the Wilkinson by gotoh has a pop in arm fixing the one flaw in the original. And it's a bit slicker and less bulky looking. The thing is rock solid. Unbelievably stays in tune better than anything in my large collection and the neck never needs adjustment. That might be from surviving a house fire though. Came very close to losing her.

#10 ·
Project RX ULTRA coming along. Evo gold frets, Wilkinson by gotoh vs100, gotoh locking tuners, all gold hardware, internal roland gk kit with switching jack and custom dual gang volume pot I made so the circuit is completely stock when plugged into the 1/4" jack. It was just time. After 27 years, the frets needed I be done and the screw in whammy bar started breaking through the soft sustain block. Also, I always used an external gk2a on it and have dreamed for years of making it internal. Basically everything I dreamed of doing to it over the years when it finally came time to do a full resto.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.