Ibanez S Neck - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez S Neck

Hi guys, just quickly, does anyone know if it's possible to buy an Ibanez RG neck, and fit it into an S neck pocket (I really don't want to do any routing)

The reason i'm asking, is I'm trying to get a bunch of the S570/420s and make them my own. I way prefer Maple fingerboards, but the only maple fingerboard S is bright red (not my thing) and comes with extremely dull black dot inlays. So I want to know if the neck pockets and screw holes between S and RG are likely to be compatible, so I can get an RG neck (with faaaaaaar more attractive inlays) with maple fingerboard, and wham that in my S guitars

Cheers guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 01:59 PM

Re: Ibanez S Neck

I would assume that the 24 fret RG Wizard necks will also fit in the S. IF the holes do not line up, thats an easy fix as long as they fit in the neck pocket.

Wild guess though
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 01:59 PM

Ibanez makes a Blue S570 with a Maple fretboard.

If you try something like that, check the thickness of the neck at the heal end on both guitars.
I know there have been issues with aftermarket bodies and necks stilling too low in the pocket, even when they fit nice.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 02:02 PM

Reviews: 3

I've seen S guitars for auction that had an RG neck installed and the 23rd & 24th frets sawed off. Depending on the pickup setup you may have to do something like that. I'd assume the square joint would fit on a square joint, etc. but the fretboard extension may get in the way.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

my s570 is one of the newer ones (so it's got 24 frets) so you guys recon an RG neck should fit? I've already got the guitar (with the rosewood fingerboard) so I'm purely looking to find somewhere to buy a neck from
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragsternj View Post
I would assume that the 24 fret RG Wizard necks will also fit in the S. IF the holes do not line up, thats an easy fix as long as they fit in the neck pocket.

Wild guess though
I'm not sure how knowledgeable the OP is on scale length and such, so it's important to mention unless he's doing major reconstructive surgery in the bridge area, this will only work with square heel RG necks. Yes a 24 fret AANJ neck will fit, but it will never intonate. So yes, Ibanez did make older square hell necks that should fit in the AANJ pocket. The holes likely won't line up and one of the old holes will be showing, but if you want to put maple on a current S model, that's a possibility - I used to have an old Proline neck on one of my AANJ s models, so I know it can be done. You could either find an old (and rare) 22 fret maple board from an S or Proline series, a cheaper RX maple boarded neck, or even commit the sin of cutting off the last 2 frets of an old 24 fret RG ample boarded neck.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knifehitz View Post
I've seen S guitars for auction that had an RG neck installed and the 23rd & 24th frets sawed off. Depending on the pickup setup you may have to do something like that. I'd assume the square joint would fit on a square joint, etc. but the fretboard extension may get in the way.
Sorry, you posted this while I was typing, but yeah, +1.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 04:35 PM

Just a small bump.

So with the newer 24f AANJ necks, i should be able to fit a RG neck onto an S without mods right?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlanK View Post
Just a small bump.

So with the newer 24f AANJ necks, i should be able to fit a RG neck onto an S without mods right?
Yes it should or be very very close,it will work 100%.

This is the bonus for Ibanez in manufacture now they have 24 fret S's,same neck pocket and intonation for both models S and RG.

Last edited by corey j grieve; 07-28-2012 at 05:55 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 04:10 AM

Sweet. Time to look for a AANJ wizard neck or maybe a AANJ jem neck I don't really like the Wizard II(III?) neck, too fat.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlanK View Post
Sweet. Time to look for a AANJ wizard neck or maybe a AANJ jem neck I don't really like the Wizard II(III?) neck, too fat.
Keep the body and neck from the same country if possible,the holes of Indo/korean Ibanez are different slightly different to that of real Japanese built Ibanez.
Also necks became a little wider at the neck pocket around 2006/7 so being as 24 fret sabers began around the same time try and find your neck in that same time frame to simplify the job.

Earlier necks will still work but may need a slight shimming job to keep the slightly thinner neck tight and solid.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 02:17 AM

I don't mind filling and re-drilling. So pretty much same years would be okay.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 02:46 AM

Yeah,no probs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode