Ibanez S Neck issue - Please Help - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez S Neck issue - Please Help

Hello,

I have a late 80's Ibanez 540S that was the guitar I really learned to play on and was my main axe for years. Eventually I changed guitars and the 540 was left unplayed for some time. Well, long story short - somewhere along the way the neck broke and is broken beyond repair. So, I'm trying to find the best way to get a replacement. Ebay is fine, but I don't even know what kind of neck I need...I think the neck/body joint is different on the older models too. So, I am desperately trying to bring this guitar back to life and would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 10:35 AM

I think you can buy a replacement neck off Hoshino, if you send them your busted one. I don't know timing.

Do a search here, I think some people have done that.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

A direct Ibanez replacement is way too expensive. I don't have a problem buying a used one, but I don't know 'which' kind of Ibanez neck will work well.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 11:44 AM

I suppose any S neck should do. As long as it has 22 frets and 25.5 inch scale.

You could also call Warmoth or someone and have one made. If you were ever interested in baritones or special inlays maybe now would be your time to try something different. I know they can make baritone necks that will fit all bodies with no mods.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 11:46 AM
Vendor

Must be 22 fret, and must be the same neck joint type. You either have a neck plate or you have an all access neck joint, they are not interchangeable.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

It's a 22 fret with the plate, not the AANJ. So any Ibanez neck like that would do, or was there a specific neck for the (80's) S series?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 02:33 PM

It was a Wizard - the really thin, flat design.

If you want a great neck and don't care if it says "Ibanez", you could get a Carvin. Their new neck is kind of a cross between a wizard and a JS, but a little thicker. Ebony fretboard, your choice of frets (get the Dunlop 6100 if you like the big stuff), and it fits the pocket. It is compound radius like the JS, but flatter (like the wizard). It is thicker, but could be sanded down.

and it's graphite reinforced, so no warping.

I like mine; I just wish they'd have had the compound radius when I got it!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Interesting. Does Carvin make necks with the locking tremelo nut? I didn't see that on their site. I don't care what the neck says, I just want a good playable neck. Were you able to order a neck and just put it on, or did it require further adjustments like fret work?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattnyy
Interesting. Does Carvin make necks with the locking tremelo nut? I didn't see that on their site. I don't care what the neck says, I just want a good playable neck. Were you able to order a neck and just put it on, or did it require further adjustments like fret work?
$20 extra gets you the nut, installed. I'm pretty sure I tried it in my Saber's heel and it fit fine. It definitely does in a Radius.

The fretwork is impeccable. Let's be clear on this: the best I ever had, straight from the factory. AND the frets on my '92 are still seated perfectly, unlike the few Warmoth necks on my Yamaha Pacificas. I LOVE those necks, but the fretwork...er, um... ;-)

Quality wise, you have to spend a lot to do better than Carvin. The problem is, you can't just go play one unless you're in SoCal. They do have a liberal return policy, however.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2003, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Ok, well hopefully I can get some word back from Carvin soon. I read on the Carvin BBS that someone put a Carvin neck on an early Saber, so that's good. Another question, do I have to get holes drilled in the neck for the body joint? How about the tuners? I would have to have someone else do that, as I'm not about to attempt it. But I hope it doesn't add tremendously to the cost. What did you pay for yours after all was said and done (locking nut, painted headstock?, etc)?

Thanks,
Matt
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2003, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattnyy
Ok, well hopefully I can get some word back from Carvin soon. I read on the Carvin BBS that someone put a Carvin neck on an early Saber, so that's good. Another question, do I have to get holes drilled in the neck for the body joint? How about the tuners? I would have to have someone else do that, as I'm not about to attempt it. But I hope it doesn't add tremendously to the cost. What did you pay for yours after all was said and done (locking nut, painted headstock?, etc)?

Thanks,
Matt
Tuner holes are there. You need to do your own heel holes, because the Carvin bolt spacing is different. IIRC, the new necks have holes, *in the wrong place*. Easy to dowel & fix. Old Carvin necks didn't have these holes.

I got the black headstock, but wish I didn't. It's a plastic overlay, that made cutting for inlays a nightmare for Jeremy! I also got clearcoat on the back of the neck. Total was about $170. Now, I'd just get the nut so I could sand to profile and use a wipe on clear, like Behrens Master Gel. I also would have gladly paid their $120 for abalone blocks, but they didn't let me. I suspect it depends on the sales guy, so search the Carvin forum for the right guy to ask.

Tags
access neck joint , black headstock , carvin bolt , ebony fretboard , ibanez neck , locking nut , neck joint , neck plate , warmoth neck , yamaha pacifica

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode