ibanez s somethin or other - help dating... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2001, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

ibanez s somethin or other - help dating...

alright, ive got an older (late 80's early 90's) ibanez S-470. or atleast i think its a 470.

its got an edge on it. which is stock.
an H-S-S config with an F2 in the bridge and as far as i can tell, C2's in the mid and neck.
the cerial number is F933790.

now, from what i know, that *would mean it was made in '93 and was the 3790th one made that year. but i talked to an experienced Ibanez dude and he told me that the cerial number came out to be an '89... so im gettin a second opinion.
he also told me that the color (a semi sparkely blue that changes to purpely in certian lights) was only made for 2 years.
how much of all of this is true? *LOL* i wanna sell it, so i'd like to know as much about it as i can. howmuch would this guitar is good condition go for now adays? thanx. i really need some help so if anyone could help me out on this is would be much appretiated. thanx

JR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 04:06 AM

ibanez s somethin or other

Well, I can't tell you how much it's worth, or if the color is rare, but it's definitely an '89..

Basically, they didn't switch over to the first *two* digits until recently, a '93 would be F3XXXXXX..

The color sounds like 'Jewel Blue' (if it's dark) which isn't all that rare for an Ibanez, but might be for that model.. Ya got me on that one.. *
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 09:41 AM

Sounds like a 540, not a 470, because of the Edge & F-series (DiMarzio) pickups. *That's good - the 540 is the higher line (Japanese, not Korean, IIRC). *I think by '93 they weren't using H-S-S in 540s anymore, but H-S-H.
Yours doesn't have fretboard binding, right?

A couple went on eBay for $300-345 recently. *That's a bummer, because these guitars are better than that.

I have a Blue flame maple version of this that I'll probably part out just because it's more profitable than selling outright!
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 10:39 AM

Jesse-
I might be interested in your 540 flame...please email.
Greg
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

actually... the pu's say IBZUSAF2 and IBZUSAC2.... so i dont think there dimarzio are they?
ya its kinda a dark blue. i bought it for 400, not knowing anything about it but it was totaly worth it to me because it plays SO nice and sounds pretty dang good too. maple frettboard, no binding. so wouldnt it say DiMarzio on the pu's if they were? thanx

JR
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 02:42 PM

JR- One of the older Ibanez catalogs (94) says the IBZ pups are co-designed by Dimarzio and Ibanez USA and made by Dimarzio. *I like the buckers in that series...nice and warm, not too hot.
Greg

Tags
flame maple , ibanez catalog , maple fret

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode