Ibanez S style guitars... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2002, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez S style guitars...

do any other company/ies make S-style guitars (S/JS shape, floyd rose, 22 frets...)?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2002, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
I believe Jackson used to make the TH-1 "Stealth" which was very similar to the S series from Ibanez. That'd be my first port of call for a diffeent brand name in the S-style.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

umm...isn't there anuthing a littile more common? i doubt i'll be able to find a guitar like that here...anything that's in production now?
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoni162
umm...isn't there anuthing a littile more common? i doubt i'll be able to find a guitar like that here...anything that's in production now?
In truth, not that I know of. I think Ibanez pretty much has the market cornered on that body shape.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

the only reason i'm not interested in the Ibanez S is because of what they say about it..."The modern S is only big where it counts...around the edges, the S is beautifully tapered for light weight...". personally, i think that sucks. i want a guitar like the Ibanez S, but i want it to be full bodied.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoni162
i want a guitar like the Ibanez S, but i want it to be full bodied.
Can you be a little more specific about what features of the S series you do want?
The most obvious one is the tapered body which you say you dislike.

If you just want a guitar with double cutaways and a floyd rose and 22 frets there are plenty of Strats out there which have hardly any contours compared to an Ibanez S-series.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

well, everything seems to be great on the S, except for the fact that it's not full bodied, that's all...it just seems so comfortable. i've had experience with strats, the higher frets are a little hard to reach..
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 10:59 AM
Vendor

Your answer is in your first post, JS
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

i'm guessing they're full bodied...

i'm not too crazy about playing signature guitars, having someone else's name on my guitar...plus it's way more expensive..
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 11:37 AM

Well, if you can find an old Radius it won't have Joe's name on it and won't cost $2000, but it will be kind of hard to find.

For what it's worth, the S-series guitars don't sound small, they just look it. That body shape brings the fretboard in closer to your body, which helps some folks playability-wise. As far as I know, the good S-series (5XX) use heavier woods than the standard basswood - I think mine's alder - to make up for the smaller body. And they go for pennies here, used.

Try one out amplified and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Gray

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 4 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2002, 12:45 AM

The S series are all mahogony.For a thinner body they have amazing tone and sound a lot thicker than other"full bodied"guitars I've played.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2002, 08:52 AM

My S-series was an amazing guitar - I kinda miss it... It sounded excellent for such a small-bodied instrument, was was extremely comfortable to play. Didn't sound as good as my Jems tho'...

Cort had a series out in the mid '90s called the Viva series. These guitars had psuedo-JS contours but the body was made of silver leaf maple. They were well built and had decent hardware, tho' most people would want to swap out the pickups eventually. I really liked the one I owned - it played really well and was very comfortable. I don't know if Corts are common in Isreal (they're also distributed under the name "Tanglewood") but if they are you should keep your eyes open for one.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2002, 11:02 AM

"Often imitated, never duplicated." IMHO the tapering contours are great, although I've contemplated a custom S that had less taper to give it more fullness...and maybe a chambered body.

I think the knock-off company Raven makes similar guitars, but I don't know of anything that's as close as an S as you seem to want.

If you're serious, you might consider buying an S, selling the body, and having Brian at Universal Jems (http://www.universaljems.com/) or another luthier build you a body to your specs. I've love to see the results.
Greg

PS - musicdr...still loving the S2540!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 09:27 AM

You could try the Jackson DKMG, the body is similarlooking but it has got 24 instead of 22 frets. Just go to www.jacksonguitars.com and enjoy
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 02:50 PM

Jackson's Stealth models (there were a few, the most popluar I've seen is the Professional line EX) had 2 body shapes. One was a sabre knockoff, but one was thicker at the bottom - almost an S/Radius cross. The Jackson Concept line JDX-94 was also like this.

I just got a used Stealth EX. Nice axe. Slightly lighter than the sabres, as they're alder or basswood instead of mahogany. I'm up to 14 now...gonna clear the stable this fall...

Tags
body shape , double cutaway , floyd rose , locking trems , piezo bridge , quilted maple , signature guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode