Ibanez S320 review - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez S320 review

Can someone tell me please before I buy what the sound and playability of a new Ibanez S320 is like?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 03:51 PM

Re: Ibanez S320 review

Before i bought the S670 I played on a S320 and on a S7320. I found the S320 to be a little bit lower on quality than the S670. The particular guitar I played wasn't very well setup either. That said, the pickups are the same and they sound ok. The neck pup has a cool tubular sound, but I don't care that much for the bridge pup. I hope to change them in the not too distant future though.

The bridge is pretty cool. From what I gather, the best model from Ibanez apart from the Edge models. Stays in tune perfectly, and I found it easy to work with. Maybe a bit more stiff than the other models though, because of the spring system.

The playability on my S670 is really great. Quick neck, and doing bends is really easy. Maybe could have a bit more sustain. Easier to play then on my strat, but mostly because of the bridge.

My main gripe with the s320 though is the finish. I found it really weird under my fingers and gave the whole guitar a cheap aspect. Would be better if it was just matte black.

I guess it's a good guitar if you are tight on money. But I would try and get a S470 at least for the finish. If you have any other questions, fire away.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 08:10 PM

I have this guitar. It is my most favourite axe I've owned so far. That said, I am having problems with a very buzzy bridge right now, and the jack socket doesn't like certain leads (because of the housing and how it fits into the cavity), but I'm having it all set up and pickups replaced very soon. I can get super fast machine gunning style riffs from this, and that's the important thing for me.

The finish is 'cheap' but it just means I don't have to spend time polishing it, and I'm happy for it to take a few knocks should I take it out on the road.

I'd also prefer some inlays instead of just the 12th fret.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 11:18 AM
A_J

Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster

My S320 is currently my favorite.. I may have lucked out but the one I got was set up great, plays like a dream. It made me fall in love with the Saber models. I ended up also picking up a S470 later, but that one was assembled by a drunk, so I'm in the process of giving it a full rebuild. Point being, look for a well setup example, from what I've seen some are well built, some may be slapped together.

Anyway, on the S320, for me the lack of fretboard inlays actually improved my playing.

The ZR trem is cool too. I'm was normally a hardtail guy and had given up trems a while ago - too much hassle for how much I actually use them - but the ZR is very stable and the ZPS suits my style well. You may not like the ZR feel if you're used to standard Floyd Rose types, but I find it smooth as butter.

And the finish isn't my favorite, but compared to the S420 it seems a bit lighter and better balanced.. I'm thinking the lack of a thick lacquer makes a subtle weight difference.

My only gripe on the S320 would be the pickups - good, but not great, they will be getting swapped out. But that can be said about a lot of stock factory pickups.

I say do it, but hopefully you can try in person before you buy. The one I snagged is the easiest playing guitar for me that I've run into.. but now I'm a Saber junkie :P

Last edited by A_J; 01-10-2010 at 01:26 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode