Ibanez S670QM Dragon Eye Maple - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

7Likes
  • 1 Post By jono
  • 4 Post By greenman
  • 2 Post By pteropid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez S670QM Dragon Eye Maple

I've recently bought an Ibanez S670QM Dragon Eye Maple. It was spot-run done for NAMM 2018 and was difficult to track down.

I gather "spot-runs" are limited editions done for special occasions, but can anyone tell me how many copies are usually produced for a spot-run? I can't find any further information online and I'm curious. 50 copies? 100?

A gorgeous guitar!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Ibanez S670QM Dragon Eye Maple

I'm not sure on the newer models, but the rumours were that spot runs used to be done in batches of 6, from the Japanese factory at least, so numbers of 12, 24 etc were often bandied about. I don't know how many from the Indonesian factories constitute a spot run. I know that the S670QM offered Dragon Eye Burst in the UK from a number of the larger stores so I'd think a fair few. I'd also imagine with them being a lower priced model compared to some of the spot runs in the past that there is a certain economy of scale that would mean and increase in numbers.
greenman likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks jono, I didn't know that. Confusingly it's listed as a Standard model on the Ibanez website https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/model/s/ but one shop in the UK contacted them and were told it's discontinued. Thanks for the info anyway

Last edited by greenman; 02-19-2019 at 05:12 PM. Reason: spelling
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Certain guitars do get sold in limited numbers ‘out of territory’, so what previously would have been an exotic spot run can be looked up on the internet as just a colour from a different region.

If this is a regylar model in the US, it stil can be rare over here in the UK.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 04:39 AM
Contributor

Hey greenman, any pics? From what I have seen the S670QM has an absolutely stunning finish.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

JEM and Dragon. Loving them both! Replaced Lo-TRS on JEM with a GOTOH trem
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JEM and Dragon.jpg (78.9 KB, 71 views)
jono, Leviathus, pteropid and 1 others like this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Had a reply from UK Ibanez distributor who could only tell me fewer than 100 came to the UK but they didn't have a figure for how many were made for this spot-run
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 04:02 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
JEM and Dragon. Loving them both! Replaced Lo-TRS on JEM with a GOTOH trem

Man I love that finish. I swear if I didn't already have so many guitars I track one down.
Hoseki and greenman like this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteropid View Post
Man I love that finish. I swear if I didn't already have so many guitars I track one down.
I know! It's a bit gorgeous, isn't it? In some ways it would have made more sense to get a different style of guitar than the same as my JEM - HSH and floating bridge - maybe fixed bridge so I could play with different tunings. But I was seduced...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

I'm still in love with this guitar! The Dragon Eye Maple only seems to be available on the standard S621QM which has double humbuckers but no middle single-coil and has a black headstock. The S670QM headstock is flamed DEM and just adds to the classy look with the DEM body and HSH configuration. I'm loving the sound of the maple-topped mahogany body compared with my basswood JEM555. The tone's more articulate and sharp and has more character, but the Evolution pickups in the JEM are particularly excellent with pedal-driven distortion

Tags
s670qm , spot-run

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode