Ibanez SA160QM Trem post distance?? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez SA160QM Trem post distance??

Hm. I have this wacky idea of using a SA160QM body for a project, but I wanna know the trem post distance, cause I wanna get a wilkinson trem for my body..

Anyone know if a Wilkinson trem (like on Carvins) would be a direct replacement? Or anyone know where I can get a SA160QM body?? lol

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 07:36 AM

Re: Ibanez SA160QM Trem post distance??

This has come up a few times in the past -- the SAT trems have a non-standard trem spacing and the Wilky will NOT swap directly. However, the first year of the SA160 had a TZ trem which did have standard spacing. Those are harder to find though.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Hm.. I need a QM top one, so unless the first year of those had it, its pointless to me.

Is the SAT trem decent? Is there ANYTHING that swaps into the trem posts?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 02:04 PM

The catalogs show this:
2000: SA160 with TZ30 trem, but no quilt top
2001: SA160QM (quilted maple) in amber, but with SAT30 trem

At one point, I tried to find something to swap with the SAT30 but had no luck. The trem is decent if set up well (riding ~flat, lubed etc). BUT the metal aint the greatest, so the contacts points can wear and get dull. Then you have problems...
Bert
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 06:12 PM
dex

Don't take my word for it or anything but I always thought the spacing of the SAT30 trem matches the FR trems at 74mm (not sure what " that is) so something like a flat mounted FR or any licensed derivative should work.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

I think due to wanting a Wilkinson pretty bad, and pretty much only that, I will look at using another body. Might have to go the warmoth way, and spend huge chunks of money just to get a nice quilt top =[
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 10:00 PM

dex could be correct about that -- I only tried to find another non-locking trem that would match the SAT30. So I'm not sure about the FRs
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

I actually did get a PM from someone, showing pics of him doing this mod, but he had to use a dremel and replace the post i think.. so its possible, but I think im just gonna look for a quilted strat body elsewhere, and forget about wanting an S body =[

Tags
quilted maple , strat body , wilkinson trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode