Ibanez SA220FMT - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Ibanez SA220FMT

Hey guyz i am new here name is hamad i am real happy to be here i just need some help please i am not that well exprienced i just ben playin for 5 yrs now, i have a sa220fmt i had for about 2 years now and since i bought till now it doesnt stay in tune espiecly the g and b strings i tried everything i can i installed locking tuners on it(fender/schaller) it still nothing has improved and i also make sure that it has alteat 2 or 3 windings for each string so now i heard that i should change the nut to an roller nut so i found one in a guitar shop its Fender LSR Roller Nut should i get for my sa would it help guyz? and should i change the bridge? the bridge is a SAT30S i was thinking of a Wilkinson VS-100N so guyz i really love this guitar i played to DEATH i am used it now i wanna fix this tuning prob what do u think would slove this.( it goes out of tune when i do bends or use the whammy bar i dont do crazy stuff with the bar i just use for vibarto sometimes)

Thanks Alot
Hamad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 11:16 AM

Re: Ibanez SA220FMT

Hello Hamad,

Welcome to Jemsite!

Here are a few things you might try. First, you said you installed locking tuners, but then said you use at least 2 or 3 windings. If you have locking tuners, you shouldn't have any more than one winding around the post. Just pull the string straight through the hole, yank on the string to get all the slack out, lock the tuner and tune it up. Having the extra windings around the post could cause some sting slippage.

Also, the Wilkinson VS100 will not fit -- the distance between the trem posts on the SAT30 tremelo is not the standard spacing. You would have to remove the old posts and drill new holes. That is a big operation.

Before you give up, I'd suggest that you try lubricating the nut grooves, the saddles (under the strings), and the contact area where the trem knife edges meet the trem posts. If it is available in Bahrain, you can try "Big Bend Nut Sauce" for this. If it's not available, you can use some other greasy, or silicon based lubricant like "ChapStick" (lip medicine). Some people prefer graphite (pencil lead) -- that works in the nut, but doesn't work so well for the trem posts.

Also, try loosening the strings and inspecting the knife edges. If they are chipped or worn looking, you may need to gently file them smooth again. Finally, the nuts on most Ibanez guitars are shipped from the factory cut for 009 gauge strings (009 to 042). If you changed the string gauge, the strings may be binding in the nut. In that case, you may need to have a tech inspect and recut the nut slots.

Even though you don't have an Edge or Floyd Rose style trem, you should read the stuff in the Ibanez Rules tech section about setting up the trem "flat" so that the knife edges are horizontal (perpendicular to the trem posts). That requires getting the springs adjusted so that they balance the string tension. If your trem does not appear to be more-or-less level, you should look into this.

Good luck!
Bert
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

hey bret that was fast i am gonna check ibanezrules and see but do u think a roller nut would do any good? like the in the pic its an fender lsr roller nut do u think it would fit? ( i cant get alot of stuff in bahrain really) i just saw this nut in a guitar shop i thought i getting it my nut width is 43mm and so is this nut

thanks alot bro
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0990812000_xl.jpg (4.2 KB, 34 views)
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 12:48 PM

I haven't used an LSR myself, but I know that some people swear by them. Maybe someone else will chime in on that.

However, I'd try everything else first (no windings on posts, lube the nut and bridge, check the trem angle, and check the trem knife edges). In my experience, the most common causes of tuning problems are failure to stretch the strings properly (I imagine you've already done that), and binding at the nut. If you sometimes hear a little "ping" or squeak when you bend a string or wiggle the tremelo, that's a clue that the string is binding at the nut.
Bert
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy If you sometimes hear a little "ping" or squeak when you bend a string or wiggle the

thatz excatly what i am goin throw

thanks for the help bret

Tags
ibanez sa

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode