Ibanez screws itís S buyers over again.. - Page 16 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #226 of 237 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 02:25 AM

Re: Ibanez screws itís S buyers over again..

Aside from the raging debate, I think the S320 would make a great beater guitar. It's bound to be on the cheaper side with a model number of 3xx, and you get a nearly blank fretboard and a ZR trem!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #227 of 237 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 02:42 AM

Wow, interesting thread.....I really like my S 7420 alot. Even though it sports a Lo-Trs, it's a well made MIJ guitar. I really love it, the trem has given me no problems at all. I do like the older S 540s and the necks are nice on those. I still think the new S guitars are pretty nice however.....
post #228 of 237 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 03:37 AM

I think Ibanez will be smart enough to make a quality S once again, at least with their Prestige model. I mean, honestly, I debated this for a long time before purchasing my first Prestige S. I just decided to go with MIJ because of the QC issues on the Korean guitars. No way in hell am I going to spend over a grand on a guitar that is going to need mods anyway.

There are a lot of "spotlight" guitarists that are drawing a lot of attention to the S - the most notable being Herman Li, followed by Paul Waggoner of 'Between The Buried And Me' and Oli Herbert of 'All That Remains'. A lot of guitarists, especially beginners, are looking up to these guys and want that same mojo from the guitars that they sport on stage.

Ibanez will do it. It may take them a couple of years, but they'll do make another quality MIJ Prestige S. If anything, they'll do it just to keep some customers buying their products, which SHOULD be their ultimate goal.
post #229 of 237 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccabekyle View Post
I think Ibanez will be smart enough to make a quality S once again, at least with their Prestige model. I mean, honestly, I debated this for a long time before purchasing my first Prestige S. I just decided to go with MIJ because of the QC issues on the Korean guitars. No way in hell am I going to spend over a grand on a guitar that is going to need mods anyway.

There are a lot of "spotlight" guitarists that are drawing a lot of attention to the S - the most notable being Herman Li, followed by Paul Waggoner of 'Between The Buried And Me' and Oli Herbert of 'All That Remains'. A lot of guitarists, especially beginners, are looking up to these guys and want that same mojo from the guitars that they sport on stage.

Ibanez will do it. It may take them a couple of years, but they'll do make another quality MIJ Prestige S. If anything, they'll do it just to keep some customers buying their products, which SHOULD be their ultimate goal.
I see that from a different veiw, those beginers are the main S demographic and they dont need top quality. If they dont buy an S theyll probably buy a MI indonesia LTD instead.
post #230 of 237 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 06:46 AM

Reviews: 4

You will all hate me now but....

Reading this thread was fun
post #231 of 237 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 10:52 AM

I tried a couple of new "S"'s and that they were nice. Very playable, comfortable, and they look good too.
post #232 of 237 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti View Post
I tried a couple of new "S"'s and that they were nice. Very playable, comfortable, and they look good too.
Me too, but I don't think I ever played an old S
post #233 of 237 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 06:22 AM

Reviews: 2

Man I was thinking about buying a new S series guitar. I'll think about it again. Maybe a RGT220 is better option. I'll think about neck-thru guitars.

S series screw you!

I'll go for something else.
post #234 of 237 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 08:08 PM
Dee

Just buy an old S or Gambale model.
post #235 of 237 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 10:57 AM

This is an Old thread...

You can buy a new MIJ 24 fret S series guitar now. Though some people have complained about sustain problems with those.

Or do as Dee suggested...buy an old MIJ 22 fret or Gambale.
post #236 of 237 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 02:49 PM

I love the wizard II, i love the ZR. I hate that most of them are MIK, i hate that theyr r thicker than they used to be, i hate the new neck pocket, i hate the lack of quality control, and i hate the new colors.

I just want a 540. Is that to much to ask ibanez. I want a lime green, hot pink, or electric yellow. I like the old personality of the S. They used to be wierd little shred machines not clunky metal ****. I'll buy atleast three of them if they reissue the 540. I love the new RG 550. Everyone forgets about the S though.
post #237 of 237 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantesstudio View Post
i hate the new neck pocket
I will just copy my post from other forum...
About Wizard II radius & ZR Tremolo:

I don't have any problems with Wiz II radius.

Neck joint photos sucks, we made them after test, in our houses (my friend lives in other city, I don't have a time to meet him now)

So, some ppl say, that korean guitars are heavy etc. OK, its your opinion.
That's my opinion:
s2170 / 540s

Tone: no big difference, s2170-more bite, more bass, longer sustain, 540s- more mids& treble detail (anyway pickups were different, s2170 - stock dim/ibz, 540s - dimarzio super 3/ bill lawrence 500L, maybe XL)

Weight: 540s is only little heavier than s2170 (s2170 body is 5mm slimmer!), anyway i've got ebony finish, it's veneer(0,3mm I think), but ebony is very dense, it could add some lbs

Neck: s2170 is heavier than 540s, 540s has got better shape but wizard II is playable too

Bridge: ZR >>> Lo pro. easier maintentance(intonation etc), double bends, doesn't need D-Tuner to make drop D (d-tuners aren't flawless, ZR fine-tuners work ok),
I like screwed in whammy bar (like in original floyd rose bridges)
cons: strange feeling if heavily used (ZPS system)

Price: used 540 >> used korean prestige.
I have paid 1300$ (including taxes - 25% !!!, shipping etc). My friend - 680$.
So...if you don't need ZR tremolo advantages and original finish options of s2170 go for 540s or non-prestige korean model.
S2170 is overpriced, but I like it (finish&zr trem is awesome). Killer sustain (better than 540) (maybe it's all about pickups)

Tags
basswood guitar , basswood guitars , bridge pup , bubinga neck , electric guitar , equipped guitar , fat strat , fender strat , fender strats , frank gambale , fret guitar , fret guitars , fret neck , fret necks , fretboard radius , gambale model , guitar shop , humbucker guitar , ibanez dealer , ibanez guitars , ibanez neck , jem neck , jem neck profile , korean guitar , les paul , locking nut , locking stud , locking studs , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , maple necks , neck finish , neck joint , neck thru , neil zaza , playing guitar , prestige guitar , prestige guitars , prestige wizard , pro edge , prs guitar , prs guitars , scarf joint , seymour duncan , shred machine , thicker necks , tung oil , warped neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode