Ibanez screws itís S buyers over again.. - Page 3 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 237 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 05:54 AM

Re: Ibanez screws itís S buyers over again..

BTW...thanks for helping out, Rich.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 237 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 06:07 AM

I'd settle for the current wizard I spec...like on the Prestige RG. The wizard II shape and thickness just doesn't fit the S.
post #33 of 237 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 07:46 AM

My theory has allways been that MIK/I/C guitars have thicker necks because if anything goes wrong in production or the materials just arent up to scratch (which probably isnt the case here), the extra meat ensures it wont warp or bend. What all the MIK people admit is that there is less attention to detail in production and this could be the result.
post #34 of 237 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Measure BOTH pocket depths. Then measure both heels.

The Wizard will nearly never return [nearly because it is on the RG20]. When you replace as many that go bad as Ibanez did then you'd probably make the same call.
It wasn't the design so much is the wood Ibanez attempted to pass off as decent. The Bubinga strip and such should have solved it.

Why do most ALL J-customs come with wizards if they are so unstable? Or the new 20th 550s.
post #35 of 237 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 10:04 AM

the whole point of the super wizard was to be able to use lower quality (or not quarter sawn) wood by reenforcing it. The j customs probably had better quality wood and i think someone said before the j custom superwizards were slightly thicker.
post #36 of 237 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crevis View Post
the whole point of the super wizard was to be able to use lower quality (or not quarter sawn) wood by reenforcing it.
Exactly! So that problem shouldn't exist.
Quote:
The j customs probably had better quality wood and i think someone said before the j custom superwizards were slightly thicker.
I don't think they are at all.
post #37 of 237 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 12:28 PM

Given that in a super wizard neither the maple or bubinga is quarter sawn, over time it doenst have much to stop it from naturally warping no matter how reenforced it is, quarter sawn wood is the only way to stop it from warping in the long term.
post #38 of 237 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 01:09 PM

I should point out that 2005 Prestige RG Wizard is pretty much the same as my 2003 MIJ RG 450LTD Wizard II with the Prestige RG probably having slightly flatter profile while my RG has a slightly rounder profile but both about the same thickness overall.

I remember 2003 Prestige Wizards being thinner.

However, I do agree with Rich that lots of the older wizards tend to warp. I have seen here quite a few of late 80s, early 90s wizards that have warped.

As for those with the bubinga strip, I have seen some with the bubinga strip coming off slightly at the tip, much like those old strats maple necks with the walnut strip at the back. Proably that's why the stop using it and now adopting the five piece necks that go all the way to the headstock.
post #39 of 237 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 01:12 PM

It doesn't even matter. The Current prestige RG's have wizard I's, use that but with 22 frets.

Warpage??? whatever dude. I've got (2) 1pc. wizard maple necks sitting here.

They are not warped, one is sixteen years old. That's not even the point any way.

Just put the damn current Wizard I on the guitar and be done with it. I think that is all that is being said.

The Wizard II is shaped differant, has a differant radius and is thicker. This is not speculation it is FACT.
post #40 of 237 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-man View Post
IJust put the damn current Wizard I on the guitar and be done with it. I think that is all that is being said.
It has nothing to do with warping. But with cost and location.

They simply DO NOT make wizard necks in the Korea factory. Since ALL Ss are now made there TO SAVE IBANEZ MONEY, while still CHARGING THE SAME PRICE it does not get a wizard.

This is just Ibanez pinching pennies again hoping no one notices.

That neck shouldn't have never been GIVEN the wizard II name. It implies it's an improved version over the original. It is not.

If it was just the SAME neck but SLIGHTLY thicker I don't think people would mind as much. But that isn't the case. It's shaped differently as well.
post #41 of 237 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crevis View Post
Given that in a super wizard neither the maple or bubinga is quarter sawn, over time it doenst have much to stop it from naturally warping no matter how reenforced it is, quarter sawn wood is the only way to stop it from warping in the long term.
Untrue. Laminated necks are actually more stable than one-piece necks, even those made of quartersawn lumber.

The luthiers arrange the laminates so that the grain of each piece doesn't run the same direction as the one next to it; this prevents the pieces from moving with each other once they're glued together. So, if one piece tries to move, the other pieces keep it where it's supposed to be.
post #42 of 237 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-man View Post
It doesn't even matter. The Current prestige RG's have wizard I's, use that but with 22 frets.

Warpage??? whatever dude. I've got (2) 1pc. wizard maple necks sitting here.

They are not warped, one is sixteen years old. That's not even the point any way.

Just put the damn current Wizard I on the guitar and be done with it. I think that is all that is being said.

The Wizard II is shaped differant, has a differant radius and is thicker. This is not speculation it is FACT.
You want an original Wizard, what I am saying is, as of 2005, the Prestige Wizards are about the same or the same as an MIJ Wizard II. Not sure how different is a MIK Wizard II compared to MIJ Wizard II but the current Prestige Wizard is nothing like the old ones.

Two of you guitars are hardly even 1% of the S Ibanez sold. If yours is not warped fine, good for you. But they are many cases of warped wizards. Don't have to take my word for it but Rich knows what he is talking about. He has probably handled more Ibanez than most of us will in our lifetime.

As of 2005, the Prestige Wizard is the same of very close to a MIJ Wizard II. This is not a speculation, this is a FACT.

ps-Take note that I am not speaking for the MIK counterpart.
post #43 of 237 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmx23 View Post
You want an original Wizard, what I am saying is, as of 2005, the Prestige Wizards are about the same or the same as an MIJ Wizard II. Not sure how different is a MIK Wizard II compared to MIJ Wizard II but the current Prestige Wizard is nothing like the old ones.
I'd like to see something that backs this up.
Quote:
Two of you guitars are hardly even 1% of the S Ibanez sold. If yours is not warped fine, good for you. But they are many cases of warped wizards. Don't have to take my word for it but Rich knows what he is talking about. He has probably handled more Ibanez than most of us will in our lifetime.
Warped ORIGINAL wizards. Not prestige or super wizards. And again, this isn't why the S doesn't have them. It's because of cost and location. Ibanez simply wanted to make MORE money off the guitar. The S Prestige surely costs them less to make in Korea. Yet Ibanez are charging the same amount.
Quote:
As of 2005, the Prestige Wizard is the same of very close to a MIJ Wizard II. This is not a speculation, this is a FACT.
Then prove it to me. If this is the case, It's just Ibanez yet again trying to fool the masses, and I have an even BIGGER rant.
post #44 of 237 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS View Post
Untrue. Laminated necks are actually more stable than one-piece necks, even those made of quartersawn lumber.

The luthiers arrange the laminates so that the grain of each piece doesn't run the same direction as the one next to it; this prevents the pieces from moving with each other once they're glued together. So, if one piece tries to move, the other pieces keep it where it's supposed to be.
That is true, hence the common five piece or seven piece necks found on most bass guitars these days. The longer a neck is, the higher probability of warping, and multipiece construction counteracts that, eliminating the neck for quarterswan necks.

However, I believe the problem with these multipiece necks is the multipiece glue not sticking as well as it should in some cases. Played some Prestige Wizards with the thin strip of walnut sticking out slightly not due to uneven sanding but due to the strip shifting (very likely due to the hot but wet weather here). In most cases, they stay that way but I am only afraid of it spreading along the strip over time.
post #45 of 237 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke^in View Post
I'd like to see something that backs this up.

Warped ORIGINAL wizards. Not prestige or super wizards. And again, this isn't why the S doesn't have them. It's because of cost and location. Ibanez simply wanted to make MORE money off the guitar. The S Prestige surely costs them less to make in Korea. Yet Ibanez are charging the same amount.

Then prove it to me. If this is the case, It's just Ibanez yet again trying to fool the masses, and I have an even BIGGER rant.
I was surprised you didn't know since it was a topic of discussion here back in 2005 but then I realized you just joined in August 2006. It had been talked about here. Search around. I believe Rich and others here can confirmed it.

Tags
basswood guitar , basswood guitars , bridge pup , bubinga neck , electric guitar , equipped guitar , fat strat , fender strat , fender strats , frank gambale , fret guitar , fret guitars , fret neck , fret necks , fretboard radius , gambale model , guitar shop , humbucker guitar , ibanez dealer , ibanez guitars , ibanez neck , jem neck , jem neck profile , korean guitar , les paul , locking nut , locking stud , locking studs , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , maple necks , neck finish , neck joint , neck thru , neil zaza , playing guitar , prestige guitar , prestige guitars , prestige wizard , pro edge , prs guitar , prs guitars , scarf joint , seymour duncan , shred machine , thicker necks , tung oil , warped neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode