ibanez stock pickups - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

ibanez stock pickups

Why does ibanez load the majority of their guitars with terrible pickups? From a business perspective I would love to understand it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 01:10 AM
Sho

Re: ibanez stock pickups

They're fine, matters what you like.

From a buisiness perspective, if you make your own pickups it's less money. Therefore, more money in their pockets.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 01:38 AM

They know most people are going to change them out anyway. It let's us not waste money and choose exactly what we want to put in there.
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 06:01 AM

Reviews: 1

I will say one of the hottest/best sounding pickups I have every heard, are the V8/V7's with a magnet swap, they sing like nothing else I have ever heard!
And the QM1/QM2's I had in an S1625 I just traded off twords a Jem, sounded awesome also.

Last edited by Jamm'n Jimmy; 12-15-2011 at 06:42 AM.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 07:22 AM

I think the Dimarzio IBZ's are really good. I'm only finally changing them out after 3 years because I never had a reason to. I'm only taking them out because they're going in a different guitar.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut View Post
Why does ibanez load the majority of their guitars with terrible pickups? From a business perspective I would love to understand it.
Are you talking about new or old guitars? Because the DiMarzio-made IBZUSA pickups that were in the 700 Series and the Roadstar Pro line were amazing.

As far as why they might do it today, you can cut a lot of production cost by going with a part that you're having manufactured in China over a vended part. If Ibanez pays $50 for a DiMarzio pickup, they might pay $1 for some Chinese pickup. I'm completely not making that up. I used to be an engineer and I'd sit in the costing meetings where we were switching our sourcing from vended parts to parts were were having made by some no name company out of China. It was eye opening.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 10:50 AM

Reviews: 21

It's all a matter of choice but, yes, it seems it would make more sense to install pickups that most people like. On the other hand, it might be cool for some to save that money if they don't like the top-of-the-line pickup that comes with a given model. The PGM301, 300RE and 100RE comes to mind. Maybe someone doesn't like the PAF Pro that comes in the bridge and wants to swap it out for a Tone Zone. Why not put a cheapo in (hypothetically speaking of course) and save the customer some money if they're only going to swap them out anyway. The ill-fated Jem505 comes to mind as well.
I really like some of Ibanez's stock pickups; particuarly the Dimarzio/IBZ's, the V2, and even the breifly poroduced "Designed by EMG" passives. Call me nutty but I also like the stock AH1 and AH2 that came with my RG7321. I might replace them eventually with Blazes but I might just leave them in.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 02:36 PM

Reviews: 11

Where they lack in pickups, they're able to make up for in quality trems, tuners, nuts, etc.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 06:40 PM

I think its just marketing. They can sell you an RG570 for $900, they can throw in a set of Dimarzios (which cost $100 each) into a JEM which is essentially the same thing with some Vai-isms and charge you $2400 or more and you think you're getting something special.

That being said the stock IBZ-USA pickups on my '91 RG770 sound great to my ears.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Specifically i've owned 2 that came stock with absolutely terrible pickup. An rg520 (I think v7/v that sounded like horrible mush with presence or definition, and an rg2550 that came with a dimarzio ibz set that really didn't sound much better. Don't get me wrong I didn't really want to make a thread to bitch about ibanez pickups.. I just wanted to understand the why. You buy an esp, you get emgs or duncans. You buy a midrange or high end jackson, you get emgs or duncans, but you buy a mid range or even lower high end ibanez and its the standing joke that you gotta add another $150 to $200 for pickups..
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitvai1 View Post
I think its just marketing. They can sell you an RG570 for $900, they can throw in a set of Dimarzios (which cost $100 each) into a JEM which is essentially the same thing with some Vai-isms and charge you $2400 or more and you think you're getting something special.

That being said the stock IBZ-USA pickups on my '91 RG770 sound great to my ears.
While I do believe the Jem is a bit overpriced, you're overlooking something else your money is going towards. The builders with the most experience are the ones working on these. These guys make more money and spend more time on each guitar. Ibanez has to make that back by charging us a little extra. Also, with every lower prestige model, there's always something that makes it not perfect. Every Jem I've seen (granted it hasn't been that many) has been flawless and consistent.

Quote:
You buy an esp, you get emgs or duncans. You buy a midrange or high end jackson, you get emgs or duncans, but you buy a mid range or even lower high end ibanez and its the standing joke that you gotta add another $150 to $200 for pickups..
As I mentioned earlier, I do like the Dimarzio/IBZ's. But you're right, I can spend $800 on a guitar and get EMG's. The IBZ's can't compare to those or real Dimarzio's. Ibanez does put real Dimarzio's in their X series. Its definitely time for that to spread to other lines. As long add we keep buying their guitars, though, Ibanez doesn't really have an incentive to upgrade the pickups.

Last edited by xXLinkageXx; 12-15-2011 at 01:51 AM.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 01:48 AM

Reviews: 2

I think Ibanez has actually come full circle on pickup manufacturing. It's no mystery that the USA F and C series of the '80's and '90's were the (subjectively speaking) best they ever made...hell, they were hot-rodded DiMarzio's, Of course they were good....LOL. From '94-'03, when Ibanez sales were through the roof and profits were at an (assumed) all time high it made sense to switch to "in-house" designs. They could maximize profits even more while their guitars were being gobbled up faster than twinkies at a fat-farm. The last decade has shown a steady decline in sales so they need some "bait" to draw in otherwise hard to make sales. The V-series pups have gotten better over the years, although they never fixed/changed the ridiculous specs of having ceramic magnets in the neck (V7) and alnico5 in the bridge (V.......I'll never figure that out. The DiMarzio/IBZ pups seem to be getting better as time goes on as well (compare a set from '05 and a set from '09 and you'll hear the difference in clarity).

On a side note: If the Premiums are a sign of Ibanez' intention to add higher quality to affordable guitars, I'm guessing this same business model will carry through to their pickup division.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 04:05 AM

To be very honest, my inf1/2 sound AMAZING with 10s on them.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 06:49 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
I think Ibanez has actually come full circle on pickup manufacturing. It's no mystery that the USA F and C series of the '80's and '90's were the (subjectively speaking) best they ever made...hell, they were hot-rodded DiMarzio's, Of course they were good....LOL. From '94-'03, when Ibanez sales were through the roof and profits were at an (assumed) all time high it made sense to switch to "in-house" designs. They could maximize profits even more while their guitars were being gobbled up faster than twinkies at a fat-farm. The last decade has shown a steady decline in sales so they need some "bait" to draw in otherwise hard to make sales. The V-series pups have gotten better over the years, although they never fixed/changed the ridiculous specs of having ceramic magnets in the neck (V7) and alnico5 in the bridge (V.......I'll never figure that out. The DiMarzio/IBZ pups seem to be getting better as time goes on as well (compare a set from '05 and a set from '09 and you'll hear the difference in clarity).

On a side note: If the Premiums are a sign of Ibanez' intention to add higher quality to affordable guitars, I'm guessing this same business model will carry through to their pickup division.
Swap'em yourself, best hour of time I have ever spent!
I was about to swap them out for dimarzos on my 08 RG1570, until I read a post on here, and during a string swap, I swapped the mags, was very easy to do, and DAMN do they sing now!
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 08:28 AM

Reviews: 21

I love the V2 pickup. I pulled it out of my RG550 20th and put in an EVH Frankenstein but found myself missing the V2 a lot and put it back in. I wish Ibanez or Maxxon would sell it aftermarket, especially with different color bobbins. Then again I seem to be an odd-ball on this as most people with a 20th RG have switched out their pickups.
The Dimarzio/IBZ's are great too. If I were to buy an RG920 Premium I'd more than likely leave those in as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode