Is the Ibanez string spacing like Gibson or wider like Fender Strat? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

Is the Ibanez string spacing like Gibson or wider like Fender Strat?

I don't own an Ibanez, just want to find out the string spacing. I feel the Fender Strat spacing is very wide and hinder running fast rift compare to Gibson. And I wonder a lot of the famous fast picking guitarist favoriting Ibanez. What is the reason?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 04:25 AM

Reviews: 120
Re: Is the Ibanez string spacing like Gibson or wider like Fender Strat?

He most popular Ibanez electrics (RG/S, etc) are F spaced. You really shouldn't have any issues with fast runs due to strings being ever so slightly wider apart.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 06:51 AM

I and many others find the wider string spacing actually improves the feel of the guitar for fast picking runs.

A generally good rule of thumb, I find, is to assume that anything a Gibson les paul does, is a bad piece of design when it comes to ease of playing. The neck joints aren't strong enough, the cutaways are terrible, the bridge is too high, the string spacing too narrow, the headstock angle is too much, etc etc etc.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 07:26 AM

lol. do you really think you can compare Gibson and Fender with ibanez? i have Ibanez guitar and it's really low class when there is gibson and Fender ...
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 07:39 AM

LOL. Do you really think you can compare Gibson and Fender with Ibanez? I got a Squier and an Epiphone, both are really low class compared to my J-Custom.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloneuniv View Post
lol. do you really think you can compare Gibson and Fender with ibanez? i have Ibanez guitar and it's really low class when there is gibson and Fender ...
Funny, I'd put my Prestige up against my Gibson Explorer and American strat any day. While each guitar is different in what they do, the fit, finish and over all quality of the my Ibanez is right there with the "big boys".
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 12:22 PM

The string spacing is actually a CH wider than a strat on most RGs and the like.

on an aside: to compare RG shredder guitars to strats and LPs is silly. They were designed and built for different tasks altogether. We should be past this by now.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Oh, I see--you must own an old Ibanez RG-270 and are comparing that turd to a Gibson LP Custom--a high- class, overpriced turd. FYI--a higher price tag doesn't equal quality. If you want a baseball bat neck, then go spend three grand on a top-of-the -line Gibson. Apples and oranges, dude. To echo what the others have stated, they are all built for different purposes. Hell, I'd even be bold enough to say any of my 500 series Ibbies are built better and play better than anything Hibson has ever put out. I even hotrodded a LP knock-off years ago to prove a point to a buddy. In the end, after spending about 175 for the guitar and roughly $300 in upgrades--my knock-off blew his real LP Standard away.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 01:19 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
you are a ****ing idiot. gtfo imo.

first post... what a stunner.

Gibsons and fenders have dropped significantly in quality, while ibanez has stepped up exponentially. Every "cheap" Ibanez is as good as an american standard strat thats built nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Oh, I see--you must own an old Ibanez RG-270 and are comparing that turd to a Gibson LP Custom--a high- class, overpriced turd. FYI--a higher price tag doesn't equal quality. If you want a baseball bat neck, then go spend three grand on a top-of-the -line Gibson. Apples and oranges, dude. To echo what the others have stated, they are all built for different purposes. Hell, I'd even be bold enough to say any of my 500 series Ibbies are built better and play better than anything Hibson has ever put out. I even hotrodded a LP knock-off years ago to prove a point to a buddy. In the end, after spending about 175 for the guitar and roughly $300 in upgrades--my knock-off blew his real LP Standard away.

succeessful troll is susccessful dude.

we need to not let it get to us As much as he is
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
you are a ****ing idiot. gtfo imo.

first post... what a stunner.

Gibsons and fenders have dropped significantly in quality, while ibanez has stepped up exponentially. Every "cheap" Ibanez is as good as an american standard strat thats built nowadays.

Really? I think Ibanez has dropped significantly in quality just like all the others. To the point the newest Ibanez I own (other than the luthite btb bass I have which kind stinks) is an '89 RG750, and oldest being a 74 Concord.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 01:51 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikron View Post
Really? I think Ibanez has dropped significantly in quality just like all the others. To the point the newest Ibanez I own (other than the luthite btb bass I have which kind stinks) is an '89 RG750, and oldest being a 74 Concord.

no way dude. rg350dx is better built then american standards. the inlays and binding are better quality and even the pickups are stronger which is really sad i think music man is the only american company that hasnt comprimised on quality in the past decade. Subjective opinion of course.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
A generally good rule of thumb, I find, is to assume that anything a Gibson les paul does, is a bad piece of design when it comes to ease of playing. The neck joints aren't strong enough, the cutaways are terrible, the bridge is too high, the string spacing too narrow, the headstock angle is too much, etc etc etc.
When I finish my time machine, I'll be sure to go back to 1952 and inform Ted McCarty of the short-commings of his design. I'll let him know that he needs to fix his design because people on a magical thing called 'the internet' say you can't shred on it. I bet he'll be thankful. When I tell him about how awesome Ibanez is, back when I'm in 1952, I'm sure his response will be "Japan...?"

This thread should have ended at post # 2.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTiger View Post
When I finish my time machine, I'll be sure to go back to 1952 and inform Ted McCarty of the short-commings of his design. I'll let him know that he needs to fix his design because people on a magical thing called 'the internet' say you can't shred on it. I bet he'll be thankful. When I tell him about how awesome Ibanez is, back when I'm in 1952, I'm sure his response will be "Japan...?"

This thread should have ended at post # 2.
Please do so. It will save generations of guitarists from having to play with raised palm position, and the notoriously frail LP headstock will be built with the correct 14 degree angle instead of the ridiculous fragile, tuning-destroying 17 degree they use now. You could also look at advising him on straight string pull, to allow less catching in the nut.

You can also inform les paul to leave notes that in the event of his death, gibson shall not release THIS abomination: http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Elec...bute-1952.aspx

Look at this guitar. See anything wrong? No? Look at the bridge. Does that look like it will ever be in any way even close to intonated correctly? I didn't think so.

Or theres the les paul fretless wonders, which came with wide, low frets. Not a bad idea, you might think? Except for one thing - Because they were flat, they had no crown with which to mark intonation. The end result was that they were forever out of tune further up the neck with nothing you could do about it apart from buy an expensive refret with normal fretwire. And despite the claims, they were never in any way similar, tonally or in feel, to a fretless, for obvious reasons.

Or you could go further and look at a Gibson SG. See that neck joint? If you were to take apart that joint you'd see, as is obvious from photos of many destroyed or disassembled SGs, that once you've routed out pickup cavities and so on, the whole neck of the SG is actually being held into the body by a glue joint about the width of your index finger.

And thats not even getting started on the fact the gibson neck angle is a ridiculous 5 degrees, which raises the bridge off the body to a degree it has to be played claw style.

Also, I never mentioned Ibanez in any way. Or shred. Ibanez guitars aren't without their flaws either, after all. Not least of which is the lack of a volute on the back of god knows how many necks, promoting sympathetic headstock vibrations which kill sustain, and of course the neck becomes tremendously easy to break. A problem that has only been solved relatively recently. I could go on. No non-custom guitar is ever going to be perfect and most customs won't be either, but theres a lot that could be fixed about a lot of guitars by design, and gibson are one of the worst offenders in that regard.

----------------
Listening to: T-Square - [Gravity #08] Explorer [foobar2000 v1.1.2 beta 4]

Last edited by GuitarBizarre; 02-08-2011 at 06:05 PM.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
It will save generations of guitarists from having to play with raised palm position, and the notoriously frail LP headstock will be built with the correct 14 degree angle instead of the ridiculous fragile, tuning-destroying 17 degree they use now. You could also look at advising him on straight string pull, to allow less catching in the nut.
The headstock angle was 17 degrees from the start. That is one of the biggest single discussion topics about Les Pauls -- the "period correct" 17 degree headstock angle. I'm sure they guys at LPF would love for you to tell them that some other angle was originally used.

Yeah, you're right, that headstock angle is the guitar's achilles heal, no arguments there. As for "raised palm position" -- no clue what you're talking about. I play Jems, RGs, and Les Pauls everyday. I switch between them seamlessly. My palms aren't doing anything different between the two.

Quote:
You can also inform les paul to leave notes that in the event of his death, gibson shall not release THIS abomination: http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Elec...bute-1952.aspx

Look at this guitar. See anything wrong? No? Look at the bridge. Does that look like it will ever be in any way even close to intonated correctly? I didn't think so.
I wouldn't need to inform Les of anything. That bridge wasn't his idea and he was against it from the very beginning (he had very little to do with the design of the guitar that bears his name). That's why it was fixed the very year after it first came out. The generations who played Les Pauls didn't have to worry about that bridge, because none of them played ones with them.

Quote:
Or theres the les paul fretless wonders, which came with wide, low frets. Not a bad idea, you might think?
No, actually I think that's a horrible idea. Those Customs were intended for jazz back when guitars were primarily a rhythm instrument. No one bent any notes, and few in those settings ever had to venture up the "dusty" end of the fretboard for their chord work.

If you want to talk about Les Pauls that had some significance on rock music, I'd point out that the 59 and 60 'bursts actually had larger frets wires than what came before, Gibson Jumbos. That and their relatively flat radius (12 inch compared to Fender's 7.5 inch) is actually what made the popular with Bloomfield, Green, Clapton, etc.

Quote:
Or you could go further and look at a Gibson SG...
No thanks. I don't care about SGs. As I'm sure you're aware, Les wanted his name off of those. I can't say I'm a fan either.

Quote:
And thats not even getting started on the fact the gibson neck angle is a ridiculous 5 degrees, which raises the bridge off the body to a degree it has to be played claw style.
Go check out some old Les Pauls and tell me how far that bridge and tail piece are off the deck. Modern production Les Pauls have this problem because Gibson is trying to build a luthier's instrument in a mass production factory. They cut corners. They don't use a full tenon which will help keep the neck angle constant.

I own a production Les Paul that has a bridge like this. Again, no idea about the "claw" stuff. I'm not radically altering how I play a Paul vs. how I play anything else. I don't usually rest my hand anywhere near the bridge though. That's the only thing I can imagine you're talking about.

Quote:
Also, I never mentioned Ibanez in any way. Or shred. Ibanez guitars aren't without their flaws either, after all. Not least of which is the lack of a volute on the back of god knows how many necks, promoting sympathetic headstock vibrations which kill sustain, and of course the neck becomes tremendously easy to break. A problem that has only been solved relatively recently. I could go on. No non-custom guitar is ever going to be perfect and most customs won't be either, but theres a lot that could be fixed about a lot of guitars by design, and gibson are one of the worst offenders in that regard.
You and I are, ultimately, on the same page. My whole point was Nineteen fifty-two. To use my favorite analogy of guitars vs. cars -- bad design or just a product of the era it was designed?

Last edited by RedTiger; 02-08-2011 at 07:52 PM.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTiger View Post
I wouldn't need to inform Les of anything. That bridge wasn't his idea and he was against it from the very beginning (he had very little to do with the design of the guitar that bears his name). That's why it was fixed the very year after it first came out. The generations who played Les Pauls didn't have to worry about that bridge, because none of them played ones with them.
Actually if you read that product page, it states specifically that Les Paul himself designed and patented that bridge.

"Gibson wanted it to wrap underneath and Les wanted to be able to palm mute the strings so he needed it to wrap over the top of the bar. When Gibsonís didnít see it his way, Les designed and patented one himself in 1952. So here it is, Les, just for you" <- From the hardware section of the product description.

So in one sense, you're right. Not gibsons idea. In another sense, you're horribly wrong, because not only did Les Paul design that crap bridge, but Gibson's original idea was even WORSE.

As for the headstock angle, I never said they hadn't used 17 from the start. In fact, my argument hinges on that being the standard angle. My stance is that said angle is WAY too sharp and causes string binding in the nut and makes the headstock fragile because the cross section of the joint is much smaller.

Regardless, my whole point is that many design decisions on gibson guitars are awful ideas.

And by claw position, I mean the bridge is way too high to be comfortable. Theres nowhere to anchor your hand and it just feels weird. If the bridge were recessed, or a flatter design to start with, I'd have no issue. Except it can't be. Because gibson use a 5 degree neck angle at the body, which is INSANE.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

fender blackie
fender wolfgang
fender dive
24fret Fender

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode