Ibanez, Suhr Modern, or EBMM Majesty? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 05:00 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez, Suhr Modern, or EBMM Majesty?

So, I have the unique situation that after I was originally going to purchase the new JEM77pbfp (but came away a little disappointed at the time) my wife, a week or so later, saw me looking at a Suhr Modern Pro on a vendor site, and gave me the go ahead to buy one (she thought it looked stunning). So here's my question for the Ibanez crowd:

I have about a 3k budget with this. I play a lot of vintage rock/shred, as well as tunes that need great cleans, but also joined up with a prog metal band earlier this year (currently writing/rehearsing to record an EP and play as an opening act this summer). I'm really tempted, from everything I've heard about the Suhr Moderns to get one. It would be swamp ash w maple cap/neck/fretboard w the Gotoh Floyd. However, I'm not sure it could handle prog rock/metal, and so have been eyeing a 6 or 7 string Majesty. Which would you choose, or would you recommend an actual (not premium) JEM or J-Custom?

I've been comparing specs and running down so many guitars since she gave me the go that my head is spinning, lol. The Majesty has better features, imo, but looks like ass. Also, I have three basswood/maple capped guitars with rosewood fretboards already, so am interested in a tonally different swamp ash body with maple board, or the mahogany through with ebony board on the majesty. Thoughts? Can Suhr Moderns play prog/shred convincingly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 07:12 AM

Re: Ibanez, Suhr Modern, or EBMM Majesty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlute View Post
Can Suhr Moderns play prog/shred convincingly?
https://youtu.be/rP4eIMc5VFw?t=2m37s

https://youtu.be/gB6BkaI-KIs

https://youtu.be/e2t6OIa4d-c
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 07:19 AM

I'd go with the Majesty hands down. Everything that you're considering are top notch guitars, but in terms of overall tonal options and sound quality, I just think the Majesty is one of the best guitars ever made. At first I didn't like the look, but it's really grown on me. The Suhr and Ibanez could do prog fine, but neither will give you as many options, and do them convincingly as the Majesty.

The Majesty has a piezo, coil taps, gain boosts, and a slew of different pickup blends and options that can get you just about any tone you need, and between the Piezo and the magnetics, the clean sounds are heavenly. I'm a huge fan of the Illuminator pickups in my JP13 too, and the music man tremolo is probably my all time favorite tremolo now. Not to mention that the guitar just sounds awesome, and the upper fret access is unrivaled.

Not to mention, you'll likely save $1000 or so if you're looking at buying new. The JC and Suhr costs are through the roof, and you can come out under $3k for a 7 string Majesty, and well under $3k for a sixer! Now, if you're really looking for a figured top, the Majesty currently can't get you there. But I'd still go Majesty
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 08:15 AM

Majesty is gorgeous, i wish they were that cheap in the UK, just checked and the same model would be the equivalent of $4500
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 04:36 AM

Suhrs are great but a little bit overrated imo. I'd say majesty, or an ESP.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 04:58 AM

I've owned tons of EBMM and Suhr including guitars built for endorsers.

I would still buy a vintage Jem in player's condition. Honestly, the G&L stuff is amazing too for the money if you want something more strat flavored.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatr View Post
Suhrs are great but a little bit overrated imo. I'd say majesty, or an ESP.
ESP is far more overrated than Suhr.

To Archlute:

I agree with Stealth. Find a used player's JEM and you'll be much happier.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Checked a few dealers for both the Majesty and a few JEMs. Nobody had what I was looking for, and wouldn't for some weeks. I ended up purchasing a Suhr Modern that Humbucker Music had in stock. It's a really great playing/great sounding guitar with a swamp ash/maple body and maple neck that nicely compliments my RG's basswood body w rosewood fretboard. It also means the RG can work as a nice backup.

The Majestys that came in later were great also, but I think I'll probably get a 7-string in Iced Crimson for something completely different. Then work on a JEM after that. I'll put up a pic later.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I have about a 3k budget with this. I play a lot of vintage rock/shred, as well as tunes that need great cleans, but also joined up with a prog metal band earlier this year (currently writing/rehearsing to record an EP and play as an opening act this summer). I'm really tempted, from everything I've heard about the Suhr Moderns to get one. It would be swamp ash w maple cap/neck/fretboard w the Gotoh Floyd. However, I'm not sure it could handle prog rock/metal, and so have been eyeing a 6 or 7 string Majesty. Which would you choose, or would you recommend an actual (not premium) JEM or J-Custom?
I have a Suhr Modern 7 in almost these exact specs (flamed maple top, swamp ash body, roasted birdseye neck and fretboard). Thing's absolutely awesome. I ordered it with a 7V and 7+ pickup, and it actually had a surprisingly Les Paul like thickness to it. These days it has a set of Bareknuckle Rebel Yells in it, and it's a great "superstrat" sort of sound, absolutely capable of shred and prog.

Not the greatest playing or recording, and I'm pretty sure these were still the 7V and 7+ and not the Bareknuckles, but here's mine in one of the Jemsite solo contests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKkogts2ca4

That said... While I'd prefer a regular JP over the Majesty purely on cosmetics, pretty much anything you're looking at is a GREAT instrument. Just find one with a neck you like and an unplugged resonance that you get on with, and grab it and swap pickups until the sound's what you're after.

Last edited by Drew; 04-16-2015 at 10:04 PM.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Checked a few dealers for both the Majesty and a few JEMs. Nobody had what I was looking for, and wouldn't for some weeks. I ended up purchasing a Suhr Modern that Humbucker Music had in stock. It's a really great playing/great sounding guitar with a swamp ash/maple body and maple neck that nicely compliments my RG's basswood body w rosewood fretboard. It also means the RG can work as a nice backup.

The Majestys that came in later were great also, but I think I'll probably get a 7-string in Iced Crimson for something completely different. Then work on a JEM after that. I'll put up a pic later.
Gratz on your new guitar.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
ESP is far more overrated than Suhr.

To Archlute:

I agree with Stealth. Find a used player's JEM and you'll be much happier.
The ESPs I got are amazing. One is a 2009 f standard and the other is a 2011 sirian eclipse, they have not needed a setup since I bought them, which is amazing especially for the 6 year old f. Low action, no fret buzz even unplugged. And they were bought new 950 and 1300au$.
The f is neck trough with fantastic high fret access and a lightweight balanced body.
The sirian has such a long sustain I have not heared on any other guitar, and sounds amazing with the dimarzios it came with. I honestly can't ask for more in a guitar.
These are of course MIJ esp not ltd. I've found others to be a better value compared to the ltd range.

Last edited by hatr; 04-19-2015 at 09:31 PM.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 10:27 PM

Reviews: 13

The Majesty is the ugliest guitar I've ever seen, and to make things worse, it only works with batteries: if your battery dies, the circuit won't work, and you're doomed, just like the JP13 circuit.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

A shot before tear down last week. What I'm noticing about the swamp ash/maple combo that I like so much is that, while this guitar does the dirty just as well as my basswood RGs, the cleans are phenomenal. So much clarity and shimmer. This one's a player and keeper (while I work on the EBMM/JEM for later....). The jumbo SS frets make tapped notes pop off the fretboard without any effort at all. Love it.

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 10:38 AM

Archlute:

I LOVE SS Jumbo frets. My Carvin has em and they are just amazing. Playing half step down with a 25 inch scale neck though, vibrato just appears out of thin air

Glad to hear you're liking you're new guitar. When are we gonna get some sound demos?
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
I have a Suhr Modern 7 in almost these exact specs (flamed maple top, swamp ash body, roasted birdseye neck and fretboard). Thing's absolutely awesome. I ordered it with a 7V and 7+ pickup, and it actually had a surprisingly Les Paul like thickness to it. These days it has a set of Bareknuckle Rebel Yells in it, and it's a great "superstrat" sort of sound, absolutely capable of shred and prog.

Not the greatest playing or recording, and I'm pretty sure these were still the 7V and 7+ and not the Bareknuckles, but here's mine in one of the Jemsite solo contests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKkogts2ca4

That said... While I'd prefer a regular JP over the Majesty purely on cosmetics, pretty much anything you're looking at is a GREAT instrument. Just find one with a neck you like and an unplugged resonance that you get on with, and grab it and swap pickups until the sound's what you're after.
Hey man, thanks for that link - and great playing! I somehow overlooked that when you first posted it.

Yeah, the sound you're getting on that recording is a lot like what I get from my own, using a Mark V. A nice, smooth tone with an underlying growl, and very clear.

Tags
j-custom , jem , majesty , prog metal , suhr modern

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode