Ibanez SV-470 BK - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez SV-470 BK

Does anyone own one?Opinions please.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 02:05 AM

Re: Ibanez SV-470 BK

I have a '92 SV470 in transparent red, and it is my all around favorite player (out of the 15 or so Ibanez guitars I own or have owned). It has a deeper "viper" neck profile rather than the thin wizard found on the other S and RG series guitars. This is much more comfortable to me. The sound is very warm and musical - it has a much less metallic sound quality than the locking edge trem models. The TZ bridge works great - I set it up to float off the body about 1/8" and I have no tuning problems at all, and much less warble than a floyd style bridge. I love the pickups. The Ibanez V2 has become my favorite, and I've tried a lot of PUs. They are very smooth and rich, but they have a lot more clarity than most overwound humbuckers. The middle pickup is not my favorite - it mixes well with the hums but it has a really strong magnetic field, which causes some chainsaw side effects when set too close to the strings. This could be remedied. This is a great guitar if you are looking for something modern yet traditional. I play fusion and classic rock and this guitar gets me closest to the harmonically rich, smooth singing sound that I'm after. Very much in the style of Frank Gambale or early Scott Henderson.

-Fuze
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the info.I can get the black one with the gold hardware in decent shape with OHSC for $475.00.Think its a fair deal?

Last edited by mitchmarshall; 04-08-2005 at 10:51 AM. Reason: spelling
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 11:28 AM

The SV470 had an $899 list in '93. Probably a $699 street price. I think $475 is fair for one in good shape, that you could play before buying. But you could do better if you were willing to comb **** for a while. I scored mine for $199 - it was badly labeled and photographed. These guitars are so uncommon that there is a lot of variation in price. I've seen a lot of them go unsold on **** with asking prices around 400-500. Strangely, the inferior SV420, which is made in Korea always gets snapped up for $300-400. Nicer looking I guess.

-Fuze
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 11:44 AM

I've got an S470FM in transparent teal that I'm considering selling if you're interested. I paid $340 for it, I'd be willing to let it go for the same. Excellent guitar, set up incredibly well, the Lo-TRS II is stable (I don't hammer on this guitar very hard, but it's never had tuning or stability problems). PM if you're interested. The guitar is here in FL, so I guess... $340 + shipping.

-R
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 11:56 AM

Hi Fuze,
I also have an SV470. Mine is the natural oiled finish (OL). Actually, it's also for sale as I have too many Ibanez guitars. I agree that the Viper neck and TZ trem is a great combo. Definitely one of the better non-locking trem options from Ibanez.
Bert
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 02:04 AM

My mom bought me a Korean 1995 SV470BK in 1996. I lived with the stock pickups until last year. Then I went G.A.S. crazy and upgraded it by slapping a PAF Pro (neck), IBZ/USA C1 (middle), and Tone Zone (bridge) in it It sounds much nicer now!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 12:25 PM

Hi Mitch,

I have had an SV470 transparent red for around 7 years (been playing for more than 25). It's a great guitar - but as Fuze said - not one that is widley recognised or valued. I did look to sell mine a few years ago but honestly could not find a better guitar to replace it for under £1000 (I am in the UK - you can probably convert that to $1000 as we see a big like for like price difference).

The guitar has a great acoustic resonance and a wide range of tones. I repaced the Ibanez pups for SD JB, Quater Pound and Jazz (bridge, mid, neck). Sounds fantastic. I wouldn't get rid of this guitar now - it's too good to replace easily and very vestatile.

Cheers,

Joe

Tags
edge trem , frank gambale , ibanez guitars , paf pro , scott henderson , tone zone , viper neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode