Ibanez :. sz :: SZ320MHWBR - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Ibanez :. sz :: SZ320MHWBR

Ibanez :. sz :: SZ320MHWBR .... I've recently played one of these in the store I work in and I'm about (8% sure I'm going to buy it. I'm just intrested in what you guys think about it. I think I would change the Pick ups and tuners if I got it, because the one in the store went out of tune sometimes, and it was a little annoying. Any ways, I'm just curious as to the always insightful Jemsite opinions.

This is probably what I'm selling my 570 for, because with my wrist in pain lately, I just need something with a thicker, rounder neck.

Thanks,
Niclk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 01:55 AM
Banned

if i were you, i would consider the SZ520 first
my local Sam Ash has 3 of those and i play them everytime i go to Sam Ash! they feel so good and looks great too! you can't go wrong with the SZ520... especially for the money...
try one and you'll agree
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 03:33 AM

Wouldn't having the nut checked, possibly refiled or replaced, be a better bet for tuning stability than new tuners?
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 06:36 AM

Hi bro! I recently bought the SZ320WH, after trying both the 520 & 320 (black version with finished neck). IMO the WH version has a very nice, unfinished neck, it’s a joy to play. I had the bridge humbucker replaced with a Duncan Custom Custom, waiting for a Duncan Jazz neck to arrive at my dealer’s…

If you are turned on by the SZ series, chances are you are attracted to its tone, sustain & playability. It’s a very different beast from its other siblings namely the RG. I hear you on the wrist pain- the reason I bought this guitar. But I still keep my RGs & other S-series…

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 09:07 AM

If only you could have the unfinished or oiled neck with a coloured top... it does look a lot like the MMM1, in a good way.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Banned

GermX, how well does yours stay in tune?
Nick
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 04:39 AM

Very well. I have a set of .0095s in there & the tuning’s good. I’ve lubricated the nut too…
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 04:45 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezPrestigeBoy
GermX, how well does yours stay in tune?
Nick
Considerring it was on the floor unless you did it it's probably never had the strings stretched. First thing to check on any guitar that runs flat.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 10:49 AM

I love the raw oiled Mahogany. Very cool. And a killer guitar for the money.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Banned

My mind is pretty much made up, and I'm pretty sure I'll have it within the next week. I'll probably set it up with .10's even though every guitar I've ever owned has been set up with .09's. This is also the first non- floyd/edge guitar I've ever bought, hence the higher gauge strings (if that makes any sence). it plays really well, and I kind of like the P/Up's but think i'll throw in some EMG's or something (another first, all my other guitars have DiMarzio's). I'm just worried about not having the locking nut... I'm so used to have the double locking trems that allow me to abuse the guitar and still be in tune lol.

Look my 100th post, Impressive for me, although I'm still not in the league with the big boy's lol.

Regards,
Nick
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 07:40 PM

Hey man, good luck. I had reservations with non-locking nuts too especilly when I’ve played one of the locking nut type for 10yrs. But that didn’t stop me from getting this SZ. Ibanez got it right with this guitar-the set neck/ string through body combo is impressive.

Like I mentioned before, I have .0095s in this one, the slightly thicker strings’ll make up for the slightly shorter scale length. If you prefer .010s then stick to it.

Also, if the tuner runs, make sure you check the screws- it may not be tightened well…
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 09:27 PM

If you do have tuning problems, it's a relatively quick and inexpensive mod to swap out the stock tuners with a set of Gotoh Magnum Lock tuners, which should be a direct replacement for the Ibanez units.

I'd hold off on putting EMGs in the guitar. It seems a shame to me to have a nice oiled mahogany guitar and then put in very sterile sounding pickups like EMGs in it. I like hearing the wood, myself. If you want to try something other than DiMarzios, give Duncans or something else a try.

Tags
bridge hum , bridge humbucker , gauge strings , killer guitar , locking nut , locking nuts , locking trems , sam ash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode