Ibanez sz4020fm prestige Youtube video - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez sz4020fm prestige Youtube video

Hi jemsiters...

Just made a video of playing my lovely sz4020fm so check it out...

http://youtu.be/YJ0Z48DIURI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 08:00 AM

Re: Ibanez sz4020fm prestige Youtube video

The SZ guitars are so underrated... thats a nice one! You don't see many of the high end ones for sale. What pickups are in it?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Nice to see a comment finally

yeah they are pretty rare and hard to find...I was lucky to score 2 prestiges and I love them...pickups are sh-1 jazz in the neck and sh-11 custom 5 in the bridge position, the guy that I bought the guitar from changed the pickups...
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Un_like View Post
Nice to see a comment finally

yeah they are pretty rare and hard to find...I was lucky to score 2 prestiges and I love them...pickups are sh-1 jazz in the neck and sh-11 custom 5 in the bridge position, the guy that I bought the guitar from changed the pickups...
They don't have a tremolo, so nobody knows about them...

You have two sz4020's? I've never even seen one... but someday would like to get a nice sz720 in translucent green. I just can't justify it though, my sz320 plays so nice and is basically the same guitar without fancy fret markers and ablone binding. It still has the stock Duncans, but I have a Norton to put in the bridge at next string change.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
They don't have a tremolo, so nobody knows about them...

You have two sz4020's? I've never even seen one... but someday would like to get a nice sz720 in translucent green. I just can't justify it though, my sz320 plays so nice and is basically the same guitar without fancy fret markers and ablone binding. It still has the stock Duncans, but I have a Norton to put in the bridge at next string change.
it may be so, ibanez users usually prefer floating trems, tiny necks, light weight etc. so you may be right actually...I started playing the SZs after les paul so it was a great transition for me...but the SZs are perfect for rhythm playing...here check this satriani video, the rhythm guitarist plays an ibanez SZ (1220 I believe, the only MIJ made SZ, I almost got my hands on that one too but someone was quicker then me)... https://youtu.be/e-OK7sS855M

nono I have one 4020fm and I also got 2020ex (the black one with stock EMGs)...all bought second hand...

yeah I also have the feeling that 320, 520 and 720 are the same guitars with only visual differences...something like the difference between LTD 400-500s and the 1000s deluxe series...and btw I find abalone binding really ugly, on any guitar...

dunno about the norton though, try it, you never know maybe it'll sound great!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Un_like View Post
it may be so, ibanez users usually prefer floating trems, tiny necks, light weight etc. so you may be right actually...I started playing the SZs after les paul so it was a great transition for me...but the SZs are perfect for rhythm playing...here check this satriani video, the rhythm guitarist plays an ibanez SZ (1220 I believe, the only MIJ made SZ, I almost got my hands on that one too but someone was quicker then me)... https://youtu.be/e-OK7sS855M

nono I have one 4020fm and I also got 2020ex (the black one with stock EMGs)...all bought second hand...

yeah I also have the feeling that 320, 520 and 720 are the same guitars with only visual differences...something like the difference between LTD 400-500s and the 1000s deluxe series...and btw I find abalone binding really ugly, on any guitar...

dunno about the norton though, try it, you never know maybe it'll sound great!
Thanks for the link... cool to see one in action. I didn't know they made a 1220. My main guitar was an old mid-70's Les Paul for along time, although I hardly played it for 20 years. It was hard to transition to RG necks, so when I got the SZ the neck and scale felt like an old friend. Love the way it plays!

I don't mind the abalone binding so much, my main complaint would be the lack of fret markers on the 520/720 models (maybe more?). I still use mine, and its hard to get used to just looking at the dots on the edge of the fretboard. My 320 has the small dot abalone markers... very hard to see when you are looking down from above in low lighting. Some are harder to see than others... I had to put big white stick-on dots over mine.

I found a Norton pickup for a very low price... It was made to "open up the sound in set-neck mahogany guitars"... like Les Pauls. I'm hoping it is perfect for the SZ!

BTW - Kyuss! Green Machine... \m/

Last edited by FireEagle; 03-11-2015 at 07:54 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Lol its funny cos I also had a '78 ibanez few years ago...it wasn't the exact LP shape but pf200 (using it in another video on my youtube)...scale is a bit longer on the SZs (25.1) then on the LP, but I actually find it perfect... it's enough tension for low tunings but it still feels soft enough for my liking...I think only PRS uses that scale now...

about the fret markers/inlays - my SZ2020ex has none except on the 12th fret but I got used to it...I am primarily a vocalist so I have to be able to play without looking at the neck...takes a lot of practice and I still can't do it anywhere close to perfect so I have to look every now and then when I get the chance...just try not to look at your neck when youre practicing at home, in a few months youll be able to do it easily...it's a good skill cos often you have to play gigs in dark stages where you can't see s**t...

hey if norton is made for mahogany then I'm sure it will be an upgrade comparing it to the stock pickup...I never tried it tho, while I had an LP dimarzio super distortion was perfect in my MIJ Burny, if you like hi gain sounds...let me know how that goes but i'm sure you'll be satisfied with the norton, at least according to the specs (alnico 5 with alot of mids sounds great)...

yeah I love kyuss man, would like to cover that song but didn't find a backing track yet :/

p.s. I actually ain't sure if thats a MIJ sz1220 or MIK 2020fm in that satch video, they look almost identical but probably that guy would pick a MIJ ibanez, but who knows

Tags
ibanez , shure 58a , slipknot , sz4020fm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode