Ibanez SZ520QM - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Ibanez SZ520QM

does anyone tried one out or owns one?
http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=SZ520QM
man... it has fixed bridge, set-in neck, mahogany body, quilted maple top, body + neck binding!
I can't believe this is a US$400+ guitar...
anyone ever played one? I would like some reviews on this guitar...

P.S. put two DiMarzio's humbuckers in this guitar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 12:08 AM

i played one this past week. i noticed that the pickups weren't as hot as the esp guitars of the same price range but the sustain was really good. i've always only owned the rg560/570 models and two saber models and a jem77 and i never really noticed the lack of sustain compared to the sz520 i played. after playing it i had to go back to my shop and plug my rg570 that has the mahagony body and see if i was just freakin out but the guitar really did have much more sustain. the neck felt a little thick compared to my wizard necks but it didn't feel all that bad. i think you would really like it and the blue color look much better than the picture on the ibanez site, its brighter and more alive looking.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Banned

thanks for the reply. I personally like thicker necks (not super thick neck like Gibsons), and if I bought this one I would change the pickups anyways...
oh yer one question for you shaddoe, your RG570 has a mahogany body? I thought all RG570s have basswood body.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 01:23 AM

http://www.exoticglass1.com/someofmyguitarwork.htm
well, i still call it a rg570 because the neck and all the hardware were from a rg570. if you look at the blue guitar on the link it has a mahogany body that i built from a solid plank like in the picture. it does have more sustain than the basswood but believe me its not close to the sz520 that i played.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Banned

oh i didn't know it was you
we've been sending emails to each other... hehe!
i think i would consider buying an sz once i sell my rg520qs
i want a non-floating trem guitar
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 09:45 AM

There are plenty or previous topics discussing the SZ520Q models. Please use the Forum Search function. It works quite well!

http://www.jemsite.insomnia-vhosting...=20091&start=0

http://www.jemsite.insomnia-vhosting...ighlight=sz520

http://www.jemsite.insomnia-vhosting...ighlight=sz520
Closed Thread

Tags
basswood body , fixed bridge , mahogany body , neck binding , quilted maple , thicker necks , trem guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode