Ibanez tele custom versus original American made.. - Guitar - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez tele custom versus original American made.. - Guitar

* Which is better and why??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 10:16 AM

Ibanez tele custom versus original American made..

Well, if *you want a Tele specifically for the Telecaster tone, then i'd say you can't do much better than a genuite Fender Tele or a G&L ASAT.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 04:54 PM

www.vintageibanez.com

Some knowledgable cookies over there.....
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Quote: from darren wilson on 8:16 am on Sep. 25, 2001
Well, if *you want a Tele specifically for the Telecaster tone, then i'd say you can't do much better than a genuite Fender Tele or a G&L ASAT.
Agreed. :biggrin:

The ASAT's are what Tele's should be imo.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2001, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

* I'm not really looking for the "tele sound" because this version (The Custom) departs very much from the usual tele setup..

* *The one I'm getting now, (I decided against the "Memphis" version) had the original humbucker and single coil replaced with Domarzios and the and also has Shaller tuners.. (So I'm not expecting a tele sound..)

* What I'm thinking more of is the actual quality of the the guitar, materials and craftmanship..)

* The Ibanez model has a solid mahogany body with a birch top with a laminanted maple neck.. (I'm not sure what the body of the original US made version was made of..)

* *And this is the tele with the humbucker in the neck posistion and single coil at the bridge with te LP control layout..)

* So having said that and leaving the "tele sound" out of the equation, which do you think is the better guitar???

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2001, 09:41 PM

I've owned a few vintage Ibanez models - including a "top-of-the-line" Bob Weir model, an SG copy, a "59er" LP Copy, a Flying V (Rocket Roll) and several others - and I frankly think that their reputation for being great guitars is exagerated... Most of them - ime - suffer from many of the same faults that plague Korean manufacture today, including second rate woods and veneers, thick finishes, week electronics and second rate hardware. They're reputation was born of a period of particularly low quality in American instruments and based on a "bang for the buck" perspective. I would take a Made in Mexico Fender Standard Tele in a heartbeat over any of the overweight, under equipped copies that Ibanez was churning out 25 years ago. I know Ibanez collectors have driven the prices of these things up to where you'd expect them to be decent guitars, but if it's a playing instrument you want they simply are not worth it....

Tags
darren wilson , ibanez models , mahogany body , maple neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode