Ibanez Trems - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

2Likes
  • 2 Post By jemsite

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez Trems

So quick question that I know is totally subjective, but gonna ask it anyway. I think I may mess around with building my own Radius or Xiphos bodied Prestige and started looking at Trems. Basically this is not so much a build, but buy a Prestige and do a body swap.

I know a lot of people favor the Edge or Lo Pros. I have one of each and like them both equally. I was looking at the Edge Pro and that Trem would seem to be the best after doing the locking stud mod. I'v never had one, I'm just judging by features like the beefier saddles with the string holders(or whatever you wanna call those things) and it being the lowest profile.

What's the tone and sustain like? Better? Same? Anyone here ever do a back to back comparison with the Edge? It does look like better bridge, but how does it feel in actual use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Re: Ibanez Trems

Dang, 53 views and no one even has a smart aleck comment? I'm losing faith in my Ibanez brethren.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to try one out for myself.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 10:13 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Try them out Edge or LoPro Edge. The Edge Pro would be my personal last choice for one reason only... because it's a unique route and is no longer used/sold/made. Having a custom body routed just for it would be silly at this time. Beyond that i would not overthink this. The tone/sustain of any double-locker is really limited by the lack of a fixed bridge (the floaty trem ifself) so if you want to split hairs about the trem and ignore the huge body route, two pivot points you can examine this until the end of days and never come to a conclusion.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Yep, that settles it. Thanks for the info!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 02:06 PM

I have used an Edge pro from my RG1570 for like 6 years and recently just got an RG655 with the original Edge, I immidiately noticed that I like the feel of the edge as it is less stiff, (not that the Edge pro is stiff by any means ). And the Orig Edge flutters more and from what I can remember the Edge Pro never fluttered like that even when I have the guitar new. But I could be mistaken.

I don't like low profile trems my first Ibanez is a Korean RG220b with a single locking TRS looking or shall I say Orig Floyd look tail that is up in the air, I got used to that and often I just rest my hand there and vibrato using that its hard for me to do it on a lo-pro and most specially a lo-pro.

So the Ibanez bringing back the Edge for regular Prestige guitars this past few years is so so sweet for me! I don't have any complaints with the Edge Pro though still solid does not go out of tune to often and when it comes to cleaning it much easier because you don't fear the string lock blocks falling off!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 10:59 AM

^ I'm the opposite, I love low profile trems. Probably due to my picking hand placement and being used to a Charvel Model 6 w/ a Kahler that I've had for over 30 years. Interesting that you found the Edge Pro stiffer than the Edge. I played a JS1200 w/ EP about 10 years ago, and remember it feeling very "spongy", similar to my Kahler.

Since this thread is titled "Ibanez Trems", let's talk about them. Well, not the crappy ones, like the Lo-Trash (oops, TRS). I'm actually shopping for an IBZ with a trem, so this will be helpful. I'll list some models, what I have understood as general consensus, my personal opinion, then you guys throw in some input:

Original Edge - a legend, stays in tune even with heavy use. For me, it's still too much in the way of my picking hand.
Lo-Pro (LP) - as far as I know, stays in tune as well as the Edge but with low profile. My #1 choice.
Edge Pro (EP) - made in mid-2000s, I remember complaints about them not staying in tune due to not having "locking studs". Truth or Interwebs exaggeration?
Edge Zero (EZ) - came after the EP and currently used, don't know much about these, how are they? There's also the EZ II, how are they?
I have 2011 and 2012 catalogs and there was a ball bearing trem (ZR) on S models, but I don't see them on the current models, was it a bust? Or underrated?
Also from those catalogs, there was a ZPS3 system to make the bridge more stable. Did this just help if you broke a string, or did it actually lock the bridge down so you could do different tunings (like the tremol-no)?

I know, lots to cover here, but in addition to looking for info for myself, I thought it might be cool to have all this trem info in one thread.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 11:07 AM

As ShinkanPo mentioned, the Edge is back in full force on Prestige models, but where's the Lo-Pro? Ideally, I want an H/H guitar (preferably RG, but RGA or S would work too) with a Lo-Pro. Other than 7-strings, the only one I see is the RG6UCS, which is $2200 and no inlays, am I missing a model somewhere? Doesn't have to be brand new either.

I like the various 652 models offered, especially the RGR, so another option would be a swap. Is a Lo-Pro a drop-in replacement for an Edge?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 11:45 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoods986 View Post
Is a Lo-Pro a drop-in replacement for an Edge?
Yes it is.
jwoods986 and ShinkanPo like this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Looks like the Lo-Pro is being reserved as the most Prestigious Trem for the top end Prestige guitars.

Hantug makes a LoPro with Titanium and aluminium. It cost as much as guitar though. Will never get one, but I want it just because.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
Yes it is.
Hmmm, interesting. Rich may have a PM coming his way

I like some of the Iron Label models too. They have the EZ-II, what's the consensus on that trem?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 02:55 PM

Iím also a fan of the Low Pro Edge because it works well and is just so comfortable under the hand. Itís also on the guitars I play most so guess that makes for some bias.

The Edge Pro (which I have with stud mod) also works well and is even lower profile but whilst it has a few unique features that in theory are a step forward there is just something about the Low Pro Edge it doesnít have.

Original Edge is also excellent and many Ibanez players prefer it as their no. 1 but, you can hit your hand on the back if your placement is based on hours of play on a Low Pro Edge.

EZII - isnít made by Gotoh but still seems good (if not outstanding) quality - it is far better than many floating bridges. Also low profile so feels similar to an Edge Pro and performs well. Only negatives to me are the stiff fine tuner knobs and the fact it uses a different socket for the arm - mainly because I love the new Carbon ultralite one which works with all the others but also because the arm can move in the socket - but I fixed that with some electrical tape.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoods986 View Post
As ShinkanPo mentioned, the Edge is back in full force on Prestige models, but where's the Lo-Pro? Ideally, I want an H/H guitar (preferably RG, but RGA or S would work too) with a Lo-Pro. Other than 7-strings, the only one I see is the RG6UCS, which is $2200 and no inlays, am I missing a model somewhere? Doesn't have to be brand new either.

I like the various 652 models offered, especially the RGR, so another option would be a swap. Is a Lo-Pro a drop-in replacement for an Edge?
I hope Ibanez would rotate their trems like they did in the past like there are a few years the RG550 and Jem where fitted with Lo-pros and then after a few years reverted back to Original Edge and then Lo pro again so on etc,

Like right now the RG655 is discontinued although I see it being brought back next year maybe they can issue that with LoPro this time.

I would love to have a LoPro equip guitar at some point as I love collecting bridge styles specially the Gotoh family of Bridges
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

I have an RG6UCS that I got used for $1500 in pretty much brand new condition. Don't know if it's by design, but it has the tightest fitting trem arm I've had. Extremely tight like it's bolted in. I like it very much compared to my older Edge that seems to have a little wobble no matter what I do.

Tags
edge pro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode