Re: Is this a Ibanez USA Custom Metal Design?
I don't think this is a UCMD for a few reasons. I think it's a 560 with a 750 neck and a pretty nice refinish. Here's why:
1. All of them would have had Bensalem neck plates that would either be stamped 88XXXX on very early models or be blank with a serial number on the headstock (usually F9xxxxx). That is a 560 neck plate on there.
2. The neck pocket should have an S&H stamp and should say 560-1H, because they were all delivered as single humbucker and then routed to order by S&H. The order number (such as 391U) should be written in there in pen.
3. Missing USA Custom logo. Those were added by S&H.
4. That finish appears to be paper that is bursted in. The actual UCMD's used metallic fabric, hence the name Metal Design. Up close you should be able to easily tell that it's fabric under the clear.
5. There is no evidence that finish was ever offered.
6. The guitar should have either IBZ USA or DiMarzio pickups. Obviously these could have been changed, but those look like 560 pickups.
7. It should have plastic control knobs and again, those look like 560 knobs.
Still a cool guitar, though!