Ibanez USA Custom Question - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
RGN

Ibanez USA Custom Question

I was in a pawn shop recently (Dallas) and saw and Ibanez USA Custom model. I would like some assistance in determining the fair price for this guitar. The place was very busy with people pawning their TV sets and VCRs to pay the rent so I didn't get to see the guitar closely. It was stashed behind the counter. Anyway, here is all I know- the guitar has a maple fingerboard, a H-S-H pickup configuration, a metal industrial/modern graphic, i think an edge bar, and the headstock says something similar to USA Custom on it.

A couple questions-
Is this a great guitar?
What is a fair price? I was thinking of offering $350-450 because most pawn shop employees are not exactly guitar experts.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 05:53 PM

If it's in great shape you'd be getting a deal at that money!
Greg
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2002, 05:19 PM

That could be a real nice deal. I'm in Plano, if you pass on the guitar please tell me where its at!
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2002, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
RGN

I called the guy today and he wants $550 for it. He said it is in OK shape. I still haven't had time to run and look at it up close. Is $550 still a decent price?? I'll go scope it out and let you know. I just bought a 7vwh so if I buy another guitar my wife may kill my a$$.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2002, 06:27 PM

$550 could still be a good price, really depends on condition/modifications. I'm curious to hear how it looks once you get to check it out.
Be sure to note which logo it has on the headstock (white or gold) and also if it has the old neckplate style or AANJ. Based on the "metal/industrial" graphic you're describing, we can probably safely narrow it down to one of the "Metal Design" series guitars from like '89-91. The logo and neckplate/AANJ situation will help nail it down.
Happy hunting!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2002, 07:41 PM

What´s the difference between a white or a gold logo? Except that the color is different...
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2002, 11:02 PM

The pre-production and early production models have a white logo with the "u.s.a. custom" part written in lower-case print. A little while into production (I think later '90, I'm sure someone here can correct me if I'm wrong), they went to a gold logo with the "u.s.a. custom" written in script. The majority of the USA Customs have the gold/script logo. In my opinion, I don't think there's necessarily anything preferable about one versus the other, it just helps date the guitar.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 09:34 AM

Thanks PGM10th- I was wondering what the 2 types of logos inferred re: production / year.
Any idea when the logo went chrome? I have a USRG30, made in Nov. 1994, and it has the chrome logo on the headstock.

-Ben
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 02:45 PM

Hi Ben,
The guitars I'm talking about are the ones from the original custom shop in Hollywood, which I think they made through '92. In '93, Bunker started making the tension-free neck guitars (the USRG's) in Pennsylvannia. Those are the ones with the chrome logos. I think I have my facts straight there, but not 100% sure. There's a "History of the Ibanez USA Custom Shop" section on this site that will explain it all really well.
Check it out: http://jemsite.com/usa/usa.htm

btw - I think those USRG30's like yours are awesome.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 02:59 PM

Yea- I've read the history quite a few times now
It's hard to tell when or why the logo changed... the catalogs show all gold logos on the USRG30's until the 1996 catalog, but mine was made in 1994.
Personally, I like the chrome logo better. Then again, I like the way my DBK looks, so my opinion is suspect

For an example of a gold logo, there's one on Brent's (former?) USRG30:
http://jemsite.com/usa/gallery/usrg/usrg30/index.htm

Not like it makes a difference when a logo changed, but it's neat to have these little 'fun-facts'.

-Ben
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 03:45 PM

You're right. It really is hard to tell what the deal was with the gold vs. chrome logos on the USRG's. I honestly don't know how it worked, maybe it was random??? All I know (or at least think I know) is that the gold logo was on the later Case Ave. guitars and some USRG's, and the chrome logo was only on USRG's.

I also agree with you that the chrome logo looks better, especially against a figured maple headstock with one of the darker finishes. I don't know about the DBK, however....
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 04:49 PM

Make sure you make an attempt to talk the dude down on that. $550's still a good price, but you're expected to try and cheapen the guitar. Go for a great deal
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 05:39 PM

Definitely him-haw around and feel out the situation...maybe offer $400-425. Mention any imperfections, etc. All the best in scoring a great deal.
Greg
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastofLove
For an example of a gold logo, there's one on Brent's (former?) USRG30:
http://jemsite.com/usa/gallery/usrg/usrg30/index.htm
Actually, my USRG had the chrome logo, but the way the digital picture came out it looks gold. I think the USRG's were the only ones with the chrome logos--I don't think any of the other USA customs (graphics, exotic woods, or american masters) had the chrome.

--B
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 07:36 PM

Ok... so maybe the gold logos in the catalogs from '94 and '95 ( http://jemsite.com/dl/ibzcat/index.htm ) are tricks of light? Does anyone own a USRG30 with a gold logo?

-Ben

Tags
custom shop , dot inlay , dot inlays , edge trem , fret board , ibanez guitars , ibanez usa custom , ibanez usa custom shop , maple fingerboard , maple fret , maple fret board , maple neck , neck joint , production model , reverse headstock , usa custom shop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode