Ibanez vs. Ernie ball JPM - I can't decide on my next acquis - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez vs. Ernie ball JPM - I can't decide on my next acquis

I am contemplating the purchase of either an EBMM JPM or Ibanez JPM (used, of course). *I have to admit that I like the Ibanez a little better and I will probably end up getting one but I was just wondering how the EB tremelo feels and compares to the Ibanez. *Also, for those of you who own both JPM versions how would you compare the two in terms of playability, which one do feel is superior and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 09:07 AM

Ibanez vs. Ernie ball JPM

Well, while there are similarities, they are two different beasts.

The neck on the EB JPM is flatter and smaller feeling than the Ibanez. *Some don't like the smaller neck on the EB model so you're going to have to determine what you are comfortable with. *I like the fact that they are different feeling, as it gives me more variety in my guitars. *The necks on the EBs come with the oil/gunwax finish which is ultra-smooth and easy to play on. *Some Ibanez JPMs have a laminate finish and some don't. *I used steel wool on my Ibanez which had a laminate finish cause I just don't like that sort of finish. *Made it play much better to me.

The pickups, while based on the same Air Norton and Steve's Special, are not the same sounding. *When I did an A/B comparison in my amp, the EB's pickups are definitely hotter and I had to back off on the gain. *The Ibanez's pickups are definitely hot enough for my tastes, but if I use the EB and Ibanez on the same amp settings they are really different sounding. *The neck pickups are more similar in both guitars than the bridge PUs, I would say.

Specifically regarding your tremelo question, I was very happy with the EB trem. *It's a completely new one for EB and it has the rear routing and smooth surface to rest your hand on. *It's a little stiffer than my lo-pros, but not that much. *In overall feel, I don't think it's that different from a lo-pro and I've heard other lo-pro users say the same and that they were pleasantly surprised. *However, it's still only single locking with Schaller locks and if you don't think that is enough for your trem use, then that's worth considering. *Mine never goes out of tune despite a few dive bombs here and there, but I don't do anything really abusive to the trem like some might. *I still dig my lo-pros, but having a couple of guitars that are so easy to either restring or detune has been great too.

Playability-wise, I think both guitars are fantastic and that's why I ended up with them. *I am also a huge fan of the JPM knob/switch layout like all of JP's guitars and Rob Balducci's custom models. *I was very skeptical with the EB model at first, but loved it when I played them at NAMM - especially the 7 string. *It is just unreal. *Quality-wise, based on my own personal experience with the guitars I've owned, my EB models came absolutely perfect from the factory. *EB has great QC and it shows. *I've had a couple of fret problems with one Ibanez JPM and no problems with 2 other Ibanez JPMs.

That's my experience so far.

Paul
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 03:43 PM

I want a JPM P3.

I have an EB/MM JP7, all options.

If it came down to a JPM Ibanez and a EB JP6 (to keep it even), I'd take the EB based on a few simple things.

1) The body is amazingly comfortable. Granted I like the RG body (although I'm growing tired of seeing it on every Ibanez guitar) it's not exactly comfortable IMO. The EB is very contoured and easy to get comfortable with.

2) Versatility. No challenge here really, well if you get the piezo's. If you don't.. well..

3) The neck. Honestly, I like it more then any guitar I have. The only one that comes close is my RG7CT; and that's only close.

4) The trem. I'm not an 80's dive-bombing whammy-wanker, so double-lockers were nothing more then a pain in the ass for me. None of my Ibanez' even have the bars in the trems. So far the EB stays in tune fine; I've had no probs. And string changes take 5mins at most.

5) Qualty, fit, finish. Honestly, and I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, when I play my EB I feel like I've moved up a whole notch as far as quality goes. The fret dress is immaculate, the neck joint is perfect and the finish is nearly flawless. I actually felt like I got my money's worth. Ibanez' on the other hand have left me a little dry. I really don't feel like I get what I pay for most of the time. I do not think their quality is equal to their price. But I still own 4 of'em.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2002, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the very well thought out and written statements regarding the guitars in question. *I have played both now, though I still have not had the opportunity to try the EB's tremelo (my GC store lost the trem arm). *I really like the way they both play and look, its going to be impossible to decide. * When I think about it though I guess the ibanez are more rare than the EB's. *I may end up just going for the ibanez, if I decide against it later I can always sell it and buy the EB. *
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 12:47 AM

A high quality Ibanez beats a EB for the price expically if you start to look at the EB basses. But since that's not the case I would chose ease of play over anything else. But don't forget sound because your style of play should way your choice.

Tags
air norton , amp settings , custom models , ebmm jpm , ibanez jpm , neck joint , neck pickup , neck pickups , rob balducci , steel wool , trem arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode