Ibanez vs. other superstrats - Page 3 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 11:12 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Ibanez vs. other superstrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlkyHauler View Post
thats a wide range of prices too, I consider that heavily when looking at bang for buck, ie, the 20th rg is hard to beat IMO in terms of bang for the buck...
CLEARLY Ibanez is NOT a bang for the buck, for 1000 US you can buy a custom carvin, that it's probably a better guitar than a Rg1570 or Rg20TH..

... BTW I'm an Ibanez fan too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 02:47 PM

Well, as far as superstrats go, I have a Yamaha RGX Standard, Ibanez RG570CT, Ibanez S7320 and Gibson M3.

Ibanez gets points for the nicest tremolo's, in my opinion.
I generally don't like the RG series, but mine has an alder body, giving it a more 'singing' tone with more sustain, which is quite impressive for a bolt-on.
The S7320 sounds huge because it's a 7-string, another thing that Ibanez is good at (although it's starting to get more common with other brands now).

The M3 is my overall favourite, because it's a vicious beast. The pickups are incredibly powerful, and it is the only set-neck of the bunch, and the only guitar that doesn't die out on the upper frets. It sings and sustains right up to the 24th fret, like a Les Paul would.

The Yamaha has the coolest looks, and is a nice overall player, but doesn't really excel in anything.

I've also tried some Jacksons over the years, and found that they play very well, but generally they sounded too dark, too 'metal' to me. They didn't have good classic rock or clean sounds.

So for me the best superstrat is a Gibson, as ironic as that may sound
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 03:04 PM

Reviews: 3

I'm a JS fan but as for Superstrats i would take a Ibanez with lo-pro anytime over anything else. As for the current line-up i find it lacks finish variety. the only finish i currently like in the RG series is the RGA321 and the RGT's. I have played some nice Jackson's too. Nice thing with Jacksons is that you can get about 10 different finishes on a single model(RR series for example) ESP is awesome but far too expensive and i find that LTD's somehow lack mojo. they seem very well designed and fairly good quality but somehow i find they lack, haven't determined where.
post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister CCJ View Post
I really haven't found much backup on this, just here and there. Understanding this forum may be biased towards Ibanez, I would still like all opinions of superstrat type guitars and how they compare sonicaly and as far as quality (and visually if interested). Which guitars I have in my mind are...

Ibanez Prestige
Ibanez J.Custom
Ernie Ball MM
Charvel
Jackson
Suhr
Caparison
Tom Anderson
Carvin, and similar types.

Lets hear from the guys who have had experience with a few different brands and see how they truly compare. And if this is dumb let me know haha.
As others have noted, I don't consider the Suhr or Tom Anderson guitars to be superstrats. Fine guitars! But not superstrats.

Carvin is very nice as is Caparison. Jackson I only like their USA line. But the Japan guitar is very good value. Still, I feel Jackson has fallen behind as of late. I have never been a big fan of the Ernie Ball/MM guitars. I like the necks. The scale is smaller and they are very comfortable, but the guitar as a whole doesn't feel right to me.

Charvels are great and if you can get an original San Dimas I think that is an awesome guitar!!!!

My heart is with the Prestige/J Custom/RG series Ibanez guitars. Unbeatable as far as a hard rock/metal superstrat is concerned!
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRGFever View Post
As others have noted, I don't consider the Suhr or Tom Anderson guitars to be superstrats. Fine guitars! But not superstrats.
Well, I don't know about Tom Anderson, but Suhr does build some models with a double-locking tremolo, humbuckers, 24 frets and all:
http://www.suhrguitars.com/modern.aspx

I think that one is pretty much equal to an Ibanez RG, and certainly counts as a superstrat in my book.
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 02:37 PM

Reviews: 3

Those Suhr's definately are boarder line. They could be seen as a original and different superstrat, or there not one at all. I find that the body shape isn't enough like a superstrat, to me a RGA is not quite a superstrat either.
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Vial View Post
CLEARLY Ibanez is NOT a bang for the buck, for 1000 US you can buy a custom carvin, that it's probably a better guitar than a Rg1570 or Rg20TH..

... BTW I'm an Ibanez fan too.
I think Ibanez is bang for the buck! But it depends on what your definition of bang is
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2tom View Post
I love jackson guitars and IMO they are compareable to any prestige.
I *just* got rid of my Jackson Dinky, in favour of an RGPrestige. The guitar that I had was not even close to being as good as my Ibanez. Didn't play as well, didn't sound as good. I'll buy another Ibanez before I buy another Jackson, but its all subjective really. Also, it should be noted that my Ibanez costed much more than the Jackson, so it's not really the most fair comparison. My RG is better than any Jackson I've played before though.

Tags
alder bodies , custom shop guitar , fender strats , fret guitars , gary moore , jackson dinky , jackson guitars , kramer baretta , kramer pacer , locking tremolo , maple fret , mounted pickups , steel frets , strat body , strat style , super strat , tremolo arm , upper fret , upper frets , vintage strat , yamaha rgx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode