Ibanez!! what hell are you doing with the PGMs?? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Mon

Ibanez!! what hell are you doing with the PGMs??

WELL, WELL, WELL..
I wanna know WHY in europe and USA ibanez only sells Ibanez PGM 30. This guitar is so "bad" as th jem555 and the JS100 (trs bridge, not dimarzio pickups,...). The PGM 300 (with lo-pro, dimarzio pickups,...) only is sold in Japan. I know Paul Gilbert has a lot of fans there, but it´s no reason for let us (european and american people) the bad version of his guitar.

If anybody knows where I can buy a Pgm 300 or 100 (I´m in Spain), please tell me.

THANK YOU, FRIENDS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 11:55 PM

This guitar is so "bad" as the jem555 ...

IMHO, I do prefer PGM30's pickup's than Jem Jr.
And also i have one PLAYER "BUT EXCELLENT SET-UP" CONDITION PGM300!!!
That guitar is amazing!
White Tone Zone, FS-1 and Paf-Pro;
Clear Mapple neck and scale;
Lo-Pro-Edge that always stay on tune;
Authografed by Mr. PG on back plates;
And the better thing: I bought it from Mr. PG himself, when he came to a Workshop in Brazil, last year!!!!
Only USD$400buck's WOW!!! (Believe this or not!)
PIC's ASAP.

Tubarão
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 01:02 AM

get me pics, bro!!!

i am totally interested.

rich
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 05:18 PM

isn't PG's PGM300 having a fixed bridge?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowcowcow
Only CUSTOM PGM300 have fixed bridge, i guess...
My one is a Custom by PG, but it have the Lo-Pro.

Check the 1993 Japan catalogue...
The catalogue says:
2 Paf-Pro
1 HS-1

My PGM300 have
1 Tone Zone (bridge pos.)
1 HS-1 and
1 Paf-Pro (neck pos.).
Maybe, custom mod. by Mr. PG himself.
I never had see any WHITE Tone Zone before!
I'll post some pic's ASAP.

Tubarão
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowcowcow
Just follow the link:
http://jemsite.insomnia-vhosting.com...1993jpn_13.jpg

Check all specs.

Tubarão
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 11:07 PM

As much as I am a fan of PG, I understand why his signature models aren't as widely available as a JS or a Jem/UV. In the US, Paul has an extremely small record label with poor distribution (and NO radio airplay). The common person on the street doesn't know who Paul is, even though he has been writing and releasing some of the most commercially accessable material in his career.

Simply put, Ibanez wouldn't be able to move many PGMs in countries where Paul doesn't have a following. I am willing to bet that there are less than 100 PGM30s sold in the US. Investing alot of money into a more expensive model available in a market that doesn't support the artist would just be bad business.

Unfair to us as players? Yes (I'd like to own a PGM300 but I have a PGM30), but understood as a business move.

Cheers,
Butch
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Mon

WELL, WELL, WELL...
I´m sure if Ibanez sells PGM 300 in US, it will sell more than 100. There are a lot of people in my situation: If I could buy a PGM 300, I´ll do it; but for buy a PGM 30, I prefer to buy a Jem.
And I think that Paul Gilbert is a well-known player. For example, in the guitar shop where I buy strings there is a poster of him (and there isn´t poster of Satch or Steve), and he has been cover of many guitar magazines.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 04:38 PM

You may know of him, dude, but he's not THAT popular... definately not in the same league as Satch and Vai in terms of popularity. and while it sucks for the players, Ibanez is first and formost a buisness; if the PGM30 isn't selling at all, then it'd stand to reason that the 300 would be even more of a failure. Yeah, it's not guaranteed, but that's economics for you.

I can relate, i'm a VERY happy RG-2027x player, and i had a hell of a time tracking one down (they were just discontinued in japan). Be relieved you can at least import your favorite axe from japan if need be.

-Drew

PS- i don't remember the site, but a quick search of the jemsite forum ought to turn it up. Otherwise, talk to rich harris or something. the dude knows everything, it seems, and has dealt with the distributer extensively- i'm sur ehe'd know the link.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mon
There are a lot of people in my situation: If I could buy a PGM 300, I´ll do it; but for buy a PGM 30, I prefer to buy a Jem.
Me too, dude.
And i don't like the volume position on all the PGM's.
I prefer the volume position on the Jems and the "VAI-SH FEEL"
But IMHO, the PGM30 pickup's sound's better than Jem Jr. Pickup's...

Tubarão
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 09:14 AM

I'm a PG fan too, and I'd like to see the PGM300 available here as well. I'll agree it's not going to sell nearly as well as a JS or Jem, but I'd bet it'll sell a lot better than the PGM30.

Who buys the PGM30? Not the PG fans, most of us know about the better models and don't want the cheap one. Not the Ibanez fan, for the same reason. Most likely, it's the few people who think an RG470 with f-holes looks cool, and probably a couple of fans who don't know the difference. At least with the 300, you'd have some appeal to the upper-end Ibanez fan as well as the PG fan.

If Ibanez really doesn't want to release an expensive PGM here, why not make a fixed bridge model? That's what PG plays anyway, it'd cost less than even a TRS guitar, and it'd be something different.

I just think there may be other reasons why an RG470 with minor cosmetic appointments that sells for more than an RG5xx sells poorly than 'PG isn't popular.'
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 11:13 AM

i agree with you all, the way i look at it...and pretty much always will, is why get the pgm30 when the rg400 series is pretty much the same thing. PG fans are alot like Vai and satch fans. we will happily fork out the extra cash for the PGM300 or 500. i personally owned a PGM500 up until last week before i sold it and my RBM1 to scrape up cash for a RGT3120, but that is beside the point. the PGM500 i had was an excellent player and had marvelous tone, when i had my mp-1 i came as close to the first mr. big album tone and relished in it, but i could hardly picture myself doing that with the PGM30, namely because i owned a rg450dx and hated it.
even though PG has a smaller following than vai and satch here in the states, there is a large following nonetheless, enough i would take it to at least show demand for the PGM500 again, if not the PGM300(i wanted that one more...love the lo-pro edge!!!!).

rich
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 12:59 PM

Just make a PGM30 with a fixed bridge. Even if it's cheaper to make one but the price stays the same, I'll get one right away..and probably consider getting two of them .
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 12:09 AM

You know what's funny? I like the PGM30. Cheap pickups and TRS II aside it's a solid guitar. The first thing I did when got mine was block the trem. TRS II problem fixed

The inf pickups really aren't all that bad. They are worlds better than the crap in the JS-100 and I like them much better than the V7 or V8 that a lot of the RG low ends have.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 02:40 AM

With the PGM not being a J-Custom, USAC, or Prestige, shouldn't this thread be in the "Other Ibanez Guitars" topic?

Tough: Finding a PGM in a store in the U.S.
Tougher: Finding a PGM in a store in Japan.
:-)

P.S.- Paul rocks.

Tags
dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , fixed bridge , fixed bridge model , guitar mag , guitar shop , ibanez guitars , ibanez pgm , inf pickups , paul gilbert , pro edge , tone zone , trs bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode