Ibanez XPT700- Is it any good - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
Ibanez XPT700- Is it any good

Okay, so i want an Ibanez with a decent tremolo and most of all neck thru construction. The only two neck thru costructed guitars that cought my eye were the xpt700 and the rgt42dxfm. most of all i want the xpt700. is it a good guitar. is the edge iii tremolo any good and the dimarzio pickups. is it more comftorable than ibanez bolt on neck models, etc. If i got it and the edge iii crapped out what tremolos can replace it. yall get the point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 12:42 AM

Re: Ibanez XPT700- Is it any good

i have a xiphos and i owned it for 2 years and counting. Its ****ing awesome. The only thing is you have to get it professionally set up because the edge 3 is picky but after that its great. I have a bareknuckle painkiller in the bridge and its tuned to drop A no problems.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 01:11 AM

I like the one I have okay, swapped the POS Edge III for an Original Floyd though, and did a ton of mods. I only bought it for the body shape, otherwise I would rather have any MIJ Ibanez over it. Fretwork was okay at best out of the box, and the binding is pathetic.

The D-activators are alright, a bit thin sounding for my taste. I put Blackouts into it.

If all you care about is it being neckthrough, I would look for an older Korean RGT, or a deal on a used MIJ Prestige.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 01:38 AM

I have no experience with the guitar but the Edge III isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. I've had a lot of experience with all kinds of bridges and it's pretty good.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingDead View Post
I have no experience with the guitar but the Edge III isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. I've had a lot of experience with all kinds of bridges and it's pretty good.
Compared directly to a LoPro Edge, Original Edge, Gotoh Floyd, and OFR it's a pile of crap, IMO. Hell, The one on my Xiphos had tuning issues sitting on the stand. Before someone says "you didn't set it up right", I was a paid guitar tech for 8 years, I know how to set up a floating tremolo.

Is it better than a TRS? Possibly. That's not really saying much.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 02:18 AM

Well you can compare it to bridges that are out of it's class all day long but that doesn't really prove anything. It's a very good midrange bridge for the midrange guitars it's put in. I just don't get where all these tuning issues are coming from. I haven't had one tuning problem since I got one with my RG350MYE and it came from the factory in a fairly decent setup. I'll say the ONLY issue I've ever had with it is the arm wants to have a little play in it no matter how any times you tighten the arm screw. But some plumber's tape fixes that! But eh, to each his own. I like it and there are many others that'll tell ya the same.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 02:30 AM

The Xiphos is $700 new though, and there are lots of used guitars that blow it away for less if you don't mind an RG body and can live with a bolt-neck.

In fact, not one of my MIJ RGs cost me over $400 used.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 03:01 AM

Ooo $700 ey? Yeah it should definitely have a better bridge on it. Not knockin' the III though!

But yeah for sure, used Ibby is generally the way to go. Unless you just have to have it new. Those old MIJs are the best bang for you buck geets out there.

Tags
dimarzio d-activators , edge iii , ibanez , xiphos , xpt700

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode