Ibanez's quality control over the years - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 7
Ibanez's quality control over the years

Are there golden years and crappy years in term of quality control at Ibanez ? I'm asking because my RG570 EX CPK, made in 2001, has several flaws but I didn't notice them when I bought it because it is my first guitar and I didn't have any clue back then.

Flaws include :

- the paint isn't evenly sprayed on the body
- the layer of paint is very thin, and thus chips very easily
- the volume and tone pots aren't perpendicular to the body
- you can feel the seamline between the neck and the neck binding

Is this normal an I'm expecting too much from a MIJ guitar, or I am just unlucky ?

Also, I would like to buy an RG550 from the 80's/ early 90's, how was the quality of Ibanez guitars back then as compared to today's quality level (for MIJ models) ?

Last edited by Professor Jones; 02-07-2006 at 01:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 12:54 PM

Re: Ibanez's quality control over the years

i'd take a late 80's RG over any of the new ones..
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 03:51 PM

I havent seen any of those issues (yet).
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 09:20 AM

But.... how does it play?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 09:58 AM

I have an 02 RG570EX. No issues that I didn't create myself.

Paint is indeed thin, but I only noticed because of a chip inside the spring cavity. None of the issues you mention are apparent on mine. I'm very satisfied with it

I had a MIJ 87 (?) RoadstarII that I thought was great.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 12:42 PM

If I had to pick some "Golden years" for MIJ Ibanez guitars, I would pick between the MID 70's to early 90's. I have owned all kinds of MIJ/ Ibanez guitars from those years and other than a "fluke" truss rod break on an 80's Roadstar II axe I have had nothing but GREAT times playing on Ibanez/MIJ guitars made from those years. Right now I own two Ibanez Keepers from those years. Ones a stock 1987 Roadstar II bass (black/maple/P&J) and the other is a stock 1990 RG770 (Lazer Blue/ Rosewood). Both guiatrs are rock solid/ pro gig axes period! The RG does have a finish on it that I would call "Thin", but that is only if you compare it to those "THICK SKIN" finishes that other companies are plopping out. To me it has the exact amount of finish a guitar should have on it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 01:40 PM

rg's have always been known to get paint chips very easily, I don't think the year matters much at all.

Tags
ibanez guitars , mij guitars , neck binding , spring cavity , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode