Ibbies made of alder and/or Ibbies with ebony fretboards... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Ibbies made of alder and/or Ibbies with ebony fretboards...

I'm just wondering...Most Ibanez axes are made of either basswood or mahagony. I own a RT650 myself which is made of alder. A post below states that the RG570CTTB is alder as well... The only other Ibanez I know that has alder is the Jem7Vwh.

Is that right???? Are there that few alder Ibbies?

Another concern is the availability of ebony fretboards on Ibbies, the fact that most prestiges have got rosewood is a missed opportuniyty IMHO. What do you guys think about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 07:09 PM

and the Jem7VSBL is alder
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 07:45 PM

Ibanez is a company trying to compete with other guitar companies in an international market. It's simply too cost prohibitive to use ebony, mahogany, Brazilian rosewood etc on anything but a handful of guitars a year. That is unless you and others around the world would be happy to pay substantially more money for their guitars ?

It would be nice to see better wood stocks used, but Ibanez is a company that mass produces guitars. I suppose that's where the custom shop of old and the J-Custom/Prestige models come from. It's an opportunity to use those "exotic" woods at an increased price.

Tony
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 07:47 PM

Just to add- I know the USRG series were alder as well, and you can get those at good prices... great prices if you're patient.
And I do wish more Prestiges had ebony... for looks if nothing else. I have no problems with playing on rosewood, but the look of the ebony on my SC1620 is both dramatic and beautiful. Don't get me wrong... plenty of high-end Ibz rosewood fretboards look simply luscious too.
-Ben
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 08:13 PM
Vendor

Several Radius models were alder
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 08:36 PM

don't forget the rt series!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

I've got a RT650, and a Jem7wh won't be the real problem (they're nicely available). My problem is that I would like an Ibbie to have alder, a stoptail and to top it off an ebony fretboard (dual Tonezone or a Tonezoneand Paf pro would do the trick i guess ). The closest thing is a PGM 90th or 10th I guess, and I've already got the 90th.

I wasn't bashing Ibanez off course, I'm pretty hooked but there always have to be some dreams

My next project is getting my natural finish padauk RX750 the same as my RG2027, is that easily done or should I get a pro...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2003, 11:17 AM

Well...you could try finding a USRG10. Alder, maple top, ToneZone/PAF PRO combo, fixed bridge, etc. All but the ebony. Of course, they're not terribly common, but they can be had a VERY reasonable prices (usually under $600).
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2003, 11:30 AM

The three "Texas Prestige" models all had ebony fret boards...but these were limited production.
Greg
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2003, 08:42 PM

I was always bummed about that too, I basswood, not because of tone or anything like that, but just because it dents so easily. I like my guitars to look good and dents bother me. I also love ebony. It's almost a deciding factor in my search for the right guitar. That's why I'd take a Jackson over a Prestige. It's also why I'm going to go through all the work of replacing the rosewood board on my new 520QS with an ebony one heh.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2003, 08:51 PM

Also the RG750CT's are Alder too, with some strange looking fret board, Some people say Pauferro?

Tags
custom shop , ebony fret board , ebony fretboard , ebony fretboards , fixed bridge , fret board , paf pro , paf pro combo , pro combo , rosewood board , rosewood fretboard , rosewood fretboards , texas prestige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode