Ibz/Dimarzio PUs - Quality? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Ibz/Dimarzio PUs - Quality?

Just wondered what people think of the stock Ibanez/Dimarzio PUs fitted to some Ibanez guitars - they are the usual black colour, with 'Ibz/Dimarzio' written on the top covers in white.

What sort of PUs are they?

Are they any good?

What standard Dimarzio PUs are they designed to sound like?

Would replacements be better - many here say Tone zone & Air Norton are a good combo; that's on Basswood though: I have an RGA321F, which is which is Mahogany (no idea which one!), and a thick maple cap (16mm at the center). Would it be worth swopping these?

I love the vintage PAF sound too, some hot Pus can be too 'dark'. What Dimarzio PUs would give the best (PAF type) sound in a RGA321F? Are Air Zones any good?

What about Seymour Duncan? What would sound better in my guitar: a vintage 59; or a Pearly gates?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 06:30 AM

Re: Ibz/Dimarzio PUs - Quality?

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere we go...

they're made in the same factory as the other "real" dimarzio's, they're just designed to give a more basic, generic tone.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebake View Post
heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere we go...

they're made in the same factory as the other "real" dimarzio's, they're just designed to give a more basic, generic tone.
+1

the "quality" is right up there with the other Ibanez pickups, the sonic character may not be to your taste.

from what I've heard myself, I'd swap them out. But then I do like the older IBZ/USA F series humbuckers and don't swap those out. Wierd huh!
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 07:18 AM

As I've said in other threads...old 80's Ibanez stock pickups = awesome, DiM/IBZ = poop.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 07:34 AM

The DiMarzio IBZ are far better than the other Ibanez designed Pickups, that they put in their guitars, for example infinity (INF1234) or vintage (V1/7/8 ).

But i'd still swap them out
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 07:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Secret View Post
As I've said in other threads...old 80's Ibanez stock pickups = awesome, DiM/IBZ = poop.
im agreeing with jack.i thought there were total and utter garrbidge,just my opinion though.there will be better guitarists than me that like them so what do ya do.if your used to playing high end pups like evo's paf-pro tone-zone ect ect you will deffo not like these ibanez/dimarzio pups.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice.

I like the 70s classic rocksound: I don't play with huge amounts of gain - think Angus Young, Michael Schenker; and I'm particularly fond of Billy Gibbons. Any advice on what replacement PUs would give the tone I after? Dimarzio; Duncans, whatever.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo10 View Post
The DiMarzio IBZ are far better than the other Ibanez designed Pickups, that they put in their guitars, for example infinity (INF1234) or vintage (V1/7/8 ).
..but the point is that the DiMarzio IBZ pups are not Ibanez designed anything, they are DiMarzios, based upon "classic" Dimarzio designs.

Have a look at the FAQ on DiMarzio.com, or one of the 100 or so threads on these things.
Plus there are different versions for different guitars (RG, S)
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriandavidb View Post
Thanks for the advice.

I like the 70s classic rocksound: I don't play with huge amounts of gain - think Angus Young, Michael Schenker; and I'm particularly fond of Billy Gibbons. Any advice on what replacement PUs would give the tone I after? Dimarzio; Duncans, whatever.
For what you want, maybe PAF pro in the neck/Super Distortion in the bridge.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 04:34 PM

replacing the bridge DiMarzio/IBZ with a Super Distortion is just plain silly, since that's what it is based upon.

Quote:
The DiMarzio®/IBZ pickups in the Ibanez RG2120 and RG2570EX are specifically designed and manufactured by DiMarzio® for Ibanez, and they are not available separately. Like all DiMarzio® pickups, they are made in our New York factory. Both neck and bridge pickups are high-output models. The neck pickup is fairly bright-sounding, similar to a Super 2™ (DP104). The bridge pickup is a little louder and warmer-sounding, and resembles a cross between the Steve Morse Bridge Model™ (DP200) and the Super Distortion® (DP100). The R1 single-coil is warmer-sounding than a typical vintage single-coil, and was designed to work well with the neck and bridge humbuckers when they are in split mode. It has a sound similar to that of the HS-2™ in split-coil mode.
if the DiMarzio/IBZ pups are too hot (>400mV) for your taste (or amp) you might want to try to move the IBZ/N into the bridge position and replace the neck with a lower output pup such as the PAFpro or Evo neck. But also Air Norton or Liquifire. All are at ~300mV.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 05:53 PM

Dimarzio/Ibz pups are not the same on RG and S. The ones on S are, in terms of output, similar to DiMarzio Air Classic.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 06:00 PM

I'd call the DiM/IBZ pups a lot of things but 'hot' ain't one of them.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 09:25 PM

Hot means high output to me, so Dimarzio/IBZs are hot

I tried Tone Zones, Air Nortons, Super Distortions but I still go back to the Dimarzio/Ibzs. They sound just right in my RGA321F they're definitely not poop
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 06:41 AM

Dimarzio/IBZ-N = 400mV is extremely hot (compare Evo-N=294)
Dimarzio/IBZ-B = 425-450mV (SuperD-Morse) is also way hotter than for example Evo-B (404) Crunchlab (410) or Breed-B (356)
Dimarzio/IBZ-B is almost D-Activator hot (470)

In fact since it has more mids than D-Activator, with some amps it might sound hotter.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Where are you getting these output figures from? or are you simply extrapolating without prose on the Dimarzio site that uses the phrases "similar" and "resembles".

Personally from the sound of the pickups I'd want to see "actual" output figures rather than make those assumptions, especially as a pickup might be "similar" to a Super 2, but have half the output. Same tone curve, same bright sound, same magnets, same construction but different output.

I think you're making too big a leap of faith eviltwin.

Tags
rga321 , stock pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode