ID on a '98 RG Prestige - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

ID on a '98 RG Prestige

Hi!

I'm about to buy an Ibanez (used one) from '98 (id-number F9817714). But both me and the guy in the shop is clueless what model the guitar is. Since i can't post pictures, i'll try to describe it accuratly.

-HSH pup config, two no name (possible dimarzios) and one QMS1
-Rosewood fretboard with "regular dots" (like on the RG548 )
-Body unkown.
-Transparent black with the same "wood look" as the RG3120.
-headstock says "Ibanez" with a smaller "RG prestige" logo at the tip of the headstock.
-No bindings on body, fretboard or headstock.
-Edge Lo-Pro tremolo.
-24 frets

That's all i can think of... Help is really appreciated!

thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 03:59 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: ID on a '98 RG Prestige

Are you sure it says "RG Prestige" and not "RG series"???
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I'm completely sure. I'm gonna fix some more images one the guitar, I only have one that is pretty bad...

ttp://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/851/20120105155433.jpg/

You can't see the RG Prestige on it, but it's the guitar... Gonna take some more pictures tomorrow if the shops open.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 05:47 PM

Found it!!! '97 RG680CM DBK......

here is the pic of yours:

and here is the 680:

Edit....DOH...I meant a '98!!!!

Last edited by RGTFanatic; 01-05-2012 at 05:56 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

WOW! BIG THANKS! Now I can finally rest in peace! haha!

Seriously, thanks!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defor View Post
WOW! BIG THANKS! Now I can finally rest in peace! haha!

Seriously, thanks!
Your welcome man!!! How much are they asking and are you going to buy it??? I certainly would if the price is decent.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Well, since Swedish taxes are added (which makes it much more expensive than it would be in like the US) they're asking for, with current currency value, $1000 ($1007,40 to be exact). Since it seems like it's not really a Prestige-series, I can maybe get the price down quite a bit...

I checked up what the Swedish krona was against the Japanese Yen "back then", and i would've cost about 4800 SEK (which is about 700 bucks in todays value), he's asking for 6900 SEK (1000 bucks todays value)... I might get the price down quite a bit since it's pretty used (but i like it!)... Hardcase included...

Although, the neck and bridge pup are definitely some kind of DiMarzio, the bridge is almost certain a Super Distortion... Sounds killer even through a ****ty Spider amp.

What would be a reasonable price for it today? Is it a rare kind of guitar?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 07:50 PM

Where is the guitar located??

Yeah, 6900 sek would be WAY too high. In pristine condition, I personally would be willing to pay the same as a comparable 570FM..... maybe $600 (4200 sek)?. If it has "damage" you'd have to deduct accordingly.

As far as rarity, it was a Japan only release as far as I know so the numbers must be somewhat limited. I know that I've never seen one, and don't ever expect to.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 08:01 PM

I found this one that sold on the bay in july of this year........$510

maybe it will hep in your negotiating?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ibanez-RG-68...item415b5cc8c5
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 08:02 PM

owned one long time ago in deep red finish.
this guitar was pretty light-weight comparing to other basswood-body RG. At first I was thinking it was alder...
and the neck.... yeah the neck... the shape and dimension is strange.. it's not an original wizard, it's not a wizard II, it's just strange..

soundwise... being owned too many RG in my life, I can't tell this is the best one i ever had.. it's just.....average.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
this guitar was pretty light-weight comparing to other basswood-body RG. At first I was thinking it was alder...
and the neck.... yeah the neck... the shape and dimension is strange.. it's not an original wizard, it's not a wizard II, it's just strange..

soundwise... being owned too many RG in my life, I can't tell this is the best one i ever had.. it's just.....average.
I'd love to own one myself!!!

How was the top psycho? Was it a veneer or a real top?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 08:07 PM

I found a better pic on the net of one........

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Where is the guitar located??

Yeah, 6900 sek would be WAY too high. In pristine condition, I personally would be willing to pay the same as a comparable 570FM..... maybe $600 (4200 sek)?. If it has "damage" you'd have to deduct accordingly.

As far as rarity, it was a Japan only release as far as I know so the numbers must be somewhat limited. I know that I've never seen one, and don't ever expect to.
It's located in a really small shop (like a 30 square meter shop) in the south west of Sweden... I will try to get the price down a bit, since it seems like it's not an RG Prestige, which he thinks it is, therefor the price... It ended up in the shop in 2008, and some weeks ago he found it in the very back in the storage room, so he had the frets done and everything on it... Plays like a dream and sounds killer.

If i can get the price down, I will most surely buy it... mostly because it's a rare guitar, probably.

Quote:
I found this one that sold on the bay in july of this year........$510

maybe it will hep in your negotiating?
Maybe, since lefty's are always more expensive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post

Yeah, I agree on the neck. I've owned a RG350DX with the Edge III tremolo (yeah, i know...). I thought the neck was too small, too narrow... On this guitar... well... Almost love at first touch, if i'm honest.

Reminds me alot of older Jackson/Charvel-necks. I really like it, since Jackson/Charvel is actually "my brand" of guitars... Though, this RG680 (as it appears to be) really got me... As I mentioned, it probably has a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge... Long sustain and sounds really, really good...
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I found a better pic on the net of one........
Yep, that's the one. I'm 99% confident it's an RG680CM now... Going down there tomorrow to get the price down.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 08:20 PM

Reviews: 37

some offset dots and it would be a jcustom.
i hate the way they release all the cool rgs to japan and crap to the usa.

Tags
ibanez , noid , prestige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode