ID Phil Campbell's big black flame guitar - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Question ID Phil Campbell's big black flame guitar

Anyone know anything about this axe? I know he played it in Berlin, 2011 I think. Saw it on vh1 and this is the only pic I found. It's big for my tastes but I like the cut, the thing is evil and commanding on stage.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 06:00 AM

Reviews: 34
Re: ID Phil Campbell's big black flame guitar

I can't remember the name of the manufacturer, but I have played one.

It was a bit of a gimmicky model and not that expensive, but it wasn't bad to play either.

I'll e-mail PJ's Guitar centre and see if they can remember.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 06:37 AM

http://www.minarikguitars.com/
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 10:34 AM

Reviews: 4
Talking Re: ID Phil Campbell's big black flame guitar

There is one of these at my local Sam Ash, it is in the less expensive range.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

That's a slight bummer, was hoping it was a custom with a cool story. Cool that there's a site with more to look at though, at first glance I'm really digging that SG looking Fury with the wild pickguard.

Thanks guys!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 02:56 PM

I wouldn't bother with minarik. ALL of their guitars have ridiculous psuedo-luthier technobabble accompanying what are, to be honest, fairly humdrum, boring, and usually pig ugly guitars.

Buyer beware...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the insight. I'm sure there are no places locally where I could actually try one out. You get an rg350, a couple Gibsons, and about 200 fender strat options. :/
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Wow, I finally got a chance to look at them all... those are some seriously butt ugly guitars! I think the fury is the only one I might be caught playing, and that would only be a song or two. The descriptions are too funny, and 'tone perfect' on the pickups is pretty lame.

Last edited by axel_f; 08-16-2012 at 05:09 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 05:54 PM

Reviews: 34

Yeah, minarik

Seriously though, the one I played wasn't bad, but it had been set up by Steve at PJ's.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

I think the bling factor is out of control on the site examples, the black flame that Phil has is better than the rainbow one on the site, IMO, not something I'd play but cool to see on stage at a Motörhead concert. Others like the manta and medusa... sheeesh.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 10:13 PM

I've not heard one but I imagine they are great "stage" guitars especially when things like tone etc are replaced by copious amounts of volume and distortion (I love Motorhead and have seen them more than a few times so trust me on that one). They look different to the norm but I don't imagine it sees a lot of studio time.

On a side note. I had the pleasure of meeting Phil at my mates pub after a Motorhead gig in Newcastle a few years back. He was a nice enough bloke but I was surprised that after the gig he would have the energy to baby sit those two young girls with him... much better looking than the Minarik and I imagine make a better sound.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 12:26 PM

The effin and the cracken look pretty interesting, especially in that spalted wood (far right of the the effin page) Both of those pages say they start at 3299.00 that doesn't fall into the low range as some mentioned. Maybe that is custom as opposed to production I guess.

Tags
custom , flame , minarik , motorhead , phil campell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode