I'd smash this pumpkin... - Page 5 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 02:26 AM

Re: I'd smash this pumpkin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
'Cause Kobain and the lot were effing rocket scientists singing about peace on earth with hits like "Rape me."

Please. I don't hate grunge music but for a time Grunge killed a lot of the musicianship in music. That doesn't mean that all the music of that era sucked it just means that people who like a different style of music were turned off. This isn't a war no one has to insult or attack styles of music they don't like. Just don't like it and be done with it.

We can say "kill" if we like it's called figurative language Jallen, it's not real it's just figurative.

Man people and their music getting all up in arms over someone saying "I don't like what you like."
Is that what figurative language is? They must have skipped that while I was getting my Master's degree. Anyway- glad you're here to clear things up.

I hardly got "up in arms"- I just can't believe I'm still hearing this same crap. None of these bands are even around anymore. Can't we just blame rap and be done with it?

And if grunge killed solos, what killed grunge (insert shotgun joke here).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallen View Post
Is that what figurative language is? They must have skipped that while I was getting my Master's degree. Anyway- glad you're here to clear things up.

I hardly got "up in arms"- I just can't believe I'm still hearing this same crap. None of these bands are even around anymore. Can't we just blame rap and be done with it?

And if grunge killed solos, what killed grunge (insert shotgun joke here).

Definately down with blaming rap.

You pulled the masters card on me. It always comes down to education doesn't it. Man what a world we live in... Does it really matter? I went to school and got papers saying I went and was smart but I'm not that different from anyone else. Sorry I made you think I was that serious and you felt insulted enough to fight back. That wasn't my intent. Just having a friendly debate. I don't really care about it that much I was just joing the debate for debate's sake. So don't take this too seriously the intent doesn't always come across the internerd for everyone. I wasn't trying to call you out, sorry man.
post #63 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
From Wikipedia

"Rape Me" drew the ire of many feminists upon its release on In Utero in 1993, but Cobain, a proclaimed feminist himself, often said in interviews that it was an "anti-rape" song. He said it was a song of poetic justice, in which a man rapes a woman, is sent to jail, and ends up being raped there himself. "Basically, I was trying to write a song that supported women and dealt with the issue of rape," Cobain explained in a 1993 Rolling Stone interview .

I know that, but honestly do you think that it's one of the better songs adressing a social problem you've heard? I don't. That's my point.

Don't get me wrong I like music with very serious subject matter and I like music with light hearted themes as well but durring that era the fun seemed to be sucked out of music and that's a shame. I hate to sound like Vince Niell but that's what he said about it and I agree, "Music is supposed to be fun and give a degree of escapism, grunge changed that and I don't think it was good."
post #64 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 10:07 AM

nothing killed solos or good music. and not all music needs solos either. there have been TONS of bands writing amazing music in the 90s and 2000s. The entire industry just turned itself upside down and the stuff on the radio represents a VERY SMALL percentage of music out there today. In fact, I cant think of more than a FEW bands on the radio today who even deserve to have any musical recognition from a musicians standpoint.

If anything, I think the era of soundgarden, stp, smashing pumpkins, early foo fighters, early tool etc. was the last time that good rock music was played on the radio. Ever since the mid 90s it has existed, just not on the radio but on the local scenes and within the past 10 years online. I listen to all of the classic rock and metal and virtuosos you all do (everything from queen to van halen to vai to satriani to racerx to zepplin to rainbow to zappa to king crimson etc etc) but I have to say there are some GREAT bands out there right now. And if you are looking at solos there are some groups writing some great solos too.

If you want to attribute grunge to killing anything I would say it killed the way the RADIO and large labels looked at music and thus what is played on the radio. But it certainly did not kill solos or metal or any kind of music in any way shape or form. Not even close.

And not all music has to be "fun." There are all different kinds of music for different moods. I guess certain people just look for certain things. The same way not all good music has to be guitar heavy. As I said in another thread, and probably got flamed I dont remember, Radiohead has composed some of the best music in the past 15years or so musically, but a lot of people on here disregard them since they are not a guitar-centric group and are rather down tempo most of the time.

Last edited by CalledToArms; 06-13-2008 at 10:12 AM.
post #65 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
I hate to sound like Vince Niell but that's what he said about it and I agree, "Music is supposed to be fun and give a degree of escapism, grunge changed that and I don't think it was good."
Huh?

I guess Mr. Neil forgot about the 1970s and a little think called punk.
post #66 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
Except were all Vai fans who play guitar...
Actually, I'm NOT a Vai fan. I'm an Ibanez fan, more or less, and Cobain and in particular Nirvana's excellent "Unplugged" album was the reason I first picked up a guitar. And I know rather a lot of guys in the same boat as me, where the 90's were a time where they were hearing guitars everywhere and one day thought, "I want to do that."

And if you haven't heard any of my music, then no, I don't just bash out of tune power chords either.

Stop making blind generalizations, it's not very becoming on you.
post #67 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 11:00 AM

So, anyone still talking about the hardtailed Strat which was the point of this thread in the first place?
post #68 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 12:10 PM

i would rather grab a used MIJ strat from evilbay, grab the pickups and save 900 bucks.
post #69 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
Huh?

I guess Mr. Neil forgot about the 1970s and a little think called punk.
I don't think he was talking about all music before hand I think he was talking about music in his day. Let's not be overly scrutinious (if thats a word).
post #70 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 01:27 PM

I think we should thank grunge if we are fans of 80s/early 90s music. Why? Becasue it helped the cream rise to the top. Look, Satch, Vai, Gilbert, Petrucci all have relased albums recently. Sometimes on their own label. The have total creative control, are releasing amazing music (and I don't think these albums were influenced by Nirvana). So we didn't lose anything from these guys.

What did we lose? Bullet Boys, Britny Fox, Warrant, Firehouse... you see where I'm going with this. If grunge had never happened would those bands still be around? (Would we want them to be?) The good ones from that era still are- you can still go see Def Leppard, Whitesnake, Bon Jovi and lots of others.

And since the radio was brought up, I'd bet you have abetter chance of hearing Def Leppard there than Soundgarden these days. Of course it's on the classic rock channel now, but hey-- it was 20 years ago.

And that is just how pop culture works. 80s hair/shred rock had a good run- they got their years in the spotlight. They made fans of us all and gave great careers to many worthy musicians (as mentioned, careers that are still going strong in some cases). But just like all the British Invasion bands didn't last forever neither would the hair metal bands. If Grunge didn't come next something else would have... maybe something worse.

I am now nostalgic for all of it. But that is because I am old (31) by popular culture standards and that's the way it goes. Soon enough my kids will be old enought for me to tell them how their music sucked compared to mine and the cycle will continue. Who knows- maybe melodic shred rock will be big again by then. Someone sing "Circle Of Life" for me (now there's something that sucks)!
post #71 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 05:38 PM

Funny thing is, for all you 80's hair metal guy, that seems to be coming back in.

And yeah, my personal thoughts are that hair metal kind of did itself in on its own excesses, and grunge took off more because of hair metal than in spite of it. That's just me, though.
post #72 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 05:50 PM

Has anybody noticed the Google ads at the top of this page?

Pumpkin muffins or pumpkin scones, anyone? LMAO!

Tags
brian moore , def leppard , fender strats , fire garden , hardtail bridge , headstock shape , humbucking pickup , kurt cobain , mij strat , mirrored pickguard , olympic white , pearl jam , pickup switch , pickup switching , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode