identify Hamer model - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

identify Hamer model

it has a flame maple top, mahogany neck and body, double cut-away, it is a flat-top as opposed to the carved top, stop tail bridge, '59 and JB pups (could be 2 '59 Duncans- not sure- sounds AWESOME though), 3 way switch and 3 knobs, set neck, real pearl dot inlays and schaller tuners. i was told it is a USA Studio but the flat top is throwing me off as i can't find info on the flat top version. everything i see is a carved top with binding - this one has no binding but you can see the maple cap is over a 1/2" thick. the fit and finish makes me think it is a real USA version. the serial # is 646013 - which i think is a '96.
any feedback would be appreciated. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 01:51 PM

I was never too into Hamers, but I believe if the SN is stamped in then its a USA model. If it's screenprinted on then it could be Korean. Also, by that time the Korean models just said "Hamer" while the USA models said "Hamer USA" Before that they used to say something like "Hamer EX, or Slammer, or Hamer Slammer" if they were imported. A lot of the USA necks were "V" shaped, while none of the imports were.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the response Frank. the serial # is stamped into the wood and the headstock does say "Hamer" with "USA" in small letters behind the logo. the neck is more of a 60's slim taper style like a Les Paul.
i think it is definitely a USA guitar - it is just a little odd that i can find no info to be sure that it is a Studio model.
the guitar is super nice and very well built. i read a rant somewhere on the high quality of Hamer USA guitars and came across this one - very impressive quality and tone for days. the pups are exactly the "organic" sound i am looking for. i plan to put the same or similar configuration in the Jem77JPM custom you made for me.

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

i don't have pics yet but the top is a beautiful amber flamed tigers' eye maple. SWEEEET!!

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 11:33 AM

If it doesn't have an F-hole, it's a Studio model. The arched tops are Artist models.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 03:55 AM

exactly...and if is US model should be next to Hamer logo with small font U.S.A.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

yeah, small font "USA" next to logo - cool - it is good to know this stuff. the only models i saw on eBay said they were studio models but had archtops so i have been confused
it doesn't have f-holes (what did you call me!!).
thanks guys! that is what i love about this site - there are so many people that know these things! you guys/girls ROCK!!!
i plan to buy it from a guy i sold it to him in the first place from the store i work at. the guitar is a '96 that sat in the back room in a box for almost 4 years - the staff didn't have any info other than they believed it to be a Studio model but i didn't trust their info as it had been there sooo long all the specs and lit from Hamer had long since dissapeared. i will buy it w/ a coffin case for $650 - he will let me use it and pay him when i get a chance - probably sometime in late Sept.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 11:39 AM

$650 is a decent deal. If it's a '96, it was made in the old factory (before Kaman bought the company and moved production to the Ovation factory.) I've had a couple of mid-90's Artists and Specials and definitely prefer the overall feel to the current production. Good buy!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 03:13 PM

Sounds like a Hamer Special. I had one that had a 1/2 inch curly maple 2 piece top. The special is just like the studio except it is a flat top rather than an arch top. There is no binding either. They usually run from $550 to $700 depending on condition.

Enjoy that guitar,
lhrocker
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 10:46 AM

Reviews: 6
lhrocker is right. The full model name for your guitar is the Special FM (for flame maple). Studios have carved tops. USA Special FM's and Studios are sweet--one's on my list of guitars I must own before I die
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

i am falling in love with this guitar! it has tone, playability and looks. i give two thumbs up! she is in 9/10 condition conservatively rated of course.
this guitar is making me reconsider the want for a Gibson DC Std Plus. you can read my rant in this NON-Ibanez section under "Gibson=Quality?" about part of the reason - besides the fact that Hamer KNOWS quality control and is proud to put their name on their guitars - not because of their history like Gibson, but because of what is coming off the line today.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 09:54 AM

The Hamer special FMs are smokin!! I had a 1995 in the sickest `59 Burst ever with Chevron flame, neaded money and sold it I now have a 1993 Special in natural mahogany that has taken the pain away thank god. I love Hamers, especially the Specials and Chapparel Customs. Just be carefull with anything before late 1993, they have very thin necks, unless it is a Chapp Custom or Standard or Blitz or Vector. The thin necks are on early Specials and before that Sunmbursts and the like. Nice score. Jack.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

i use this guitar fairly regularly on stage and i truley love the neck feel and overall quality of it. i hope to keep this guitar for life. if i was to buy another Hamer guitar, it would have to be a Standard - as i'm digging the Explorer style shape and the quality is leaps and bounds above the Gibson.
i did put the first real mark on the Hamer recently. i was picking it up from the stand that was sitting very intimately with the drum hardware and stands (the stage was sooo small) and it nicked the edge down to the wood. i'm glad to get it out of the way so i'm not freaking with "the first mark". it doesn't look bad and is hardly noticable - but it is there. it is about the size of an eraser head - maybe a touch smaller. life goes on.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

pics update for this beauty
http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.js...p;sort_order=0
there are only three pics of the Hamer (and lots of "family" pics) - but they speak volumes!
enjoy!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 10:57 PM

That is a sweet Special FM in Aztec Gold. You my freind have one of the best guitars for the money. I love Hamers!! jack.

Tags
dot inlay , dot inlays , flame maple , les paul , schaller tuners

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode