Identifying an old RG. Need help! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Identifying an old RG. Need help!

Hello Jemsite!

I'm quite a newbie here but I read the forum from time to time. There's a guitar I'm very interested in. The problem is I don't even know what model is it, never saw RGs like that. It's an RGR (reverse head RG), black body with two humbuckers. USA-like heel routing on the rear. Japanese neckplate. V7/V8 pickups (well, those could be swapped easily). The serial on the headstock says F04 xxxx, so the neck is obviously Japanese from 90.

The seller claims it's a 1990 "RGR520", but I didn't find out if 520's ever existed in the early 90's so I highly doubt this is the one. My guess is that the body and neck are from different guitars, but the thing is I can't find any early 90's RG with such a body or with such a neck.

So I'd be very grateful if anybody can tell something about this axe. Here are some pics (since I can't post normal links I'll post it without "http" - if somebody can post them properly, please do me a favor ):

sweetguitars.ru/img/full_guitar4164_2.jpg

sweetguitars.ru/img/full_guitar4164_4.jpg

sweetguitars.ru/img/full_guitar4164_9.jpg

sweetguitars.ru/img/full_guitar4164_5.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 05:36 PM

Reviews: 6
Re: Identifying an old RG. Need help!

I'm not very well up on the different Ibanez models except in very general terms. I have no idea which model it is, however the F04 would indicate 2004 rather than 1990, but they changed their numbering system in 1990 and the back of the headstock certainly looks like ones I've seen from the early 90s, so this was probably built before the serial change. I am sure one of the guys who knows his stuff will be in to correct me if I'm wrong. The trem is an original edge.

Please wait for one of our experts to answer this one before buying
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 09:23 PM

Although Ive never seen a rgr520 before, especially a square heel, it seems legit. Just because its not in the catalog doesn't mean Ibanez didn't make it. The Japanese market gets all kinds of goodies most of us never see. But the serial is 90', it has an original edge trem, square heel, the pickups are actually v1,v2 not v7,v8 and fits for a 90 model. There is also the possibility it was a 570 that someone filled the center route and refinished the body. The body does look to be in great shape compared to the neck.

The neck has a split at the nut area and 1 of the nut bolts are missing, and there is alot of staining on the back of the neck from play. I couldn't really tell the condition of the frets from the pics but they are either most likely pretty worn or it has been refretted.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 09:28 PM

I'd guess it's late 80 USA Custom , maybe with a new paint job?
the give away is the curve on neck joint, only JEM and USA custom use something like that.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 01:44 AM

The headstock logo looks original. I have seen other guitars with this neck joint (not jems or usa custom) that was made in japan and sold in sweden. But never with reversed headstock. I don't think this is a refinished usac. Could be a spot model, could also be a parts guitar. It would be interesting to see the the neckpocket stamp.

This guitar looks exactually like it should: Reverse headstock, HH-konfig and black finish. Only thing missing is the sharktooth inlays but it seems very nice too me
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.A. View Post
This guitar looks exactually like it should: Reverse headstock, HH-konfig and black finish. Only thing missing is the sharktooth inlays but it seems very nice too me
Well, those are exactly my thoughts, except for the sharktooths - I just like it to be without binding and all that stuff, just rosewood and dot inlays. And for sharkies and bounded ebony fb's I have my Jacksons. xD

Anyway, I still don't know what guitar is it actually, but most people think it's a legit Ibanez from 90 - prototype, inner market, non-catalogue export or whatever. And so do I think, too. Just wanted to know if anyone have seen an RG like that. Well, anyway - thank you all for your opinions, that's very helpful. Please don't hesitate to write if you have some more thoughts on that axe! =)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwinged View Post
sweetguitars.ru/img/full_guitar4164_4.jpg
Nice bubinga stripes!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearsx View Post
Nice bubinga stripes!
LMFAO! =)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Well, the body was re-done and repainted RG560. The neck pocket did say 560 and there were visible traces of re-routing for the neck humbucker. And the neck said "ibanez" and some hyeroglyphs. Just if anyone is interested. =)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 10:50 PM

well, it just confirm my original opinion that the guitar was born as part of USA custom line.
It's normal to have stamp "RG560' on the neck pocket of any USA custom.
Mine has one like that.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

I thought usually there was 7xx series bodies on the USA ones.

The heel route seems to be later-added too.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 04:34 AM

regarding the neck heel, I found only USA custom RG and Jem uses the full sculpted like that.
( when we talking about JEM/RG shaped body).

but some of the USA custom RG also had half sculpt ( like the one on standard square join RG 550, 560, 7XX and so on).
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 12:33 AM

super nice guitar, whatever it is...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzedout View Post
super nice guitar, whatever it is...
...Yes, it's just beaten up as HELL. =)

Tags
1990 , ibanez , rgr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode