If you ever wanted a cheap Sabre (not an ad), long. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

If you ever wanted a cheap Sabre (not an ad), long.

Almost twenty years ago I walked into a guitar store and knowing very little about guitars I made my first purchase. It was a Squier Strat. A couple of years ago, I decided to try and find out a little information about my Squier. My Squier didn't look like anyone else's Squier and it didn't look like any Fender I had seen either. It barely looked like a Strat. I even originally joined this website in an attempt to figure out what the heck this guitar was. Here is what the guitar is. A Fender/Squier HM (Heavy Metal) 3.

If you are familiar with the Sabres you can instantly see the similarities. No, it's not a Sabre but it's the closest thing there is to one without being a Sabre. Fender did have an HM series but the Fender HM was a modified Strat. The Squier HM 2 was a plywood version of the Fender HM. The HM 3 on the other hand didn't look like either the HM or the HM2 or even a Strat for that matter.
Specs for the HM3 is that it is solid basswood. Has the exact same body design as the early Sabres with the exception of the jack placement. Lacks the extra switches and the pickups are a low grade version of the Ibanez V series found in the RG570s. The neck is thin and shaped like a Wizard neck. The headstock is somewhat unique. These were all made in Korea as Fender was moving their manufacturing from Japan to Korea. They were probably made in the same Cort factory where current Korean Ibanez production takes place and probably made from Japanese parts that were shipped to Korea. (The E10 (1990) series Squier Strats were made from Japanese parts in Korea. The HMs were E9s (cir. 88-89)).
Okay, so what is the long, drawn out point? These guitars have been selling for about $80 to $150 on the high side. Throw in about $100 or so in upgraded pups and you are left with an amazing guitar. They are an absolute steal. The price has never really risen on these because Fender/Squier people hate these things because they don't look like a Strat or even more no one knows what these things are. It dawned on me that maybe the Ibanez crowd can enjoy the HM3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 06:24 PM

Re: If you ever wanted a cheap Sabre (not an ad), long.

Pic from the net...

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 07:52 PM

Reviews: 120

Does it have a Strat headstock on it, they look pretty cool.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

No, it's sort of a modified Ibanez headstock. Most like mine are bolt on necks but there are a few with set necks.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 12:54 AM

Mmmm, don't know if I really like the headstock, think I'd prefer it if it has a strat headstock.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 11:41 PM

Reviews: 2

me too
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 12:07 AM

thats teh best looking pos level fender next to my frankencaster starcsaster LOL.
no really tho that looks pretty tight, u got Lucky!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 02:49 AM

I want one!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 02:12 AM

that headstock looks tight! i wish i had one! cept for the writing... it looks like esp+ibanez headstock. its tight.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 01:51 PM

Did everyone forget that Fender had the Heartfeild line that was made in the same place that Ibanez was.The Talon's where knock off RG IBZ's
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by standing8count View Post
Did everyone forget that Fender had the Heartfeild line that was made in the same place that Ibanez was.The Talon's where knock off RG IBZ's
huh! weird...
fenders got only 2 guitars i like Strat (and the cheapos cuz u can make them almost the same as strats with new pickups and strat necks) and that squire hm^ that guitar is one i would like to get ahold of!
well if you could please post a pic of the neck joint, that would be ausome! if its similar enough to a wizard i will put in on my ibanez that i orderd today from [email protected] @SH! (only after som scalloping, and re painting of the headstock to say Ibanez, maybe ill even make a vinyl!)

Last edited by Active 80's; 07-18-2007 at 02:37 AM. Reason: CENSORED [email protected] @SH
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

It's not. The neck joint is the oddball Fender offset 4 screw type. The neck is a nice skinny neck but isn't quite a Wizard neck. Also it is 22 frets with the 22nd fret overhanging. Here is a pic of the back.

Here is a pic of the Fender HM, (1st generation Pink); the Squier HM2 (Black) and the Squier HM3 (Blue).

The Pink HM is an actual Fender and has the Fender Headstock. The HM is basically Fender's impression of the RG series. I have an RG 570 and the necks are almost dead on. The Fender neck is slightly wider. Fender didn't rip off the body so much but you can tell this was their attempt to capture the RG market. The neck is a 24 fret neck and the HM features a nice Dimarzio Humbucker in the bridge.
The Black HM2 was sort of a hybrid of the HM and the HM 3. It features the neck of the HM3 but is a cheaper version of a Fender HM in the body. The HM2's are also ply.
The Blue HM3 as mentioned before is Fender ripping off a 540 Sabre.
They all three feature the odd shaped four screw neck plate.
Last night I had the HM and the RG 570 out and kept switching them back and fourth. It's more amazing to me how different they are. These guitars when played acoustically have tones that weren't similar in the least. Most HM's are basswood like the RG but some are alder. My HM was definitely brighter than the RG but I liked the tone of the RG a little better, (give me a week and I will change my mind). The HM is much lighter than the RG which was surprising as basswood is usually considered to be a light wood. My RG is a boat anchor. I would guess at about nine lbs. The trems on both are great. The Fender features the Kahler Spyder tremolo. Also, the Fender gives a coil split switch to change the Dimarzio from a HB to a pickup. Overall, I wouldn't give up the RG, HM or the HM3. Fender may not have won over many when they entered the shred market but they did make some great guitars while they were there.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 05:05 PM

This is a Talon just a IBZ knockoff from Fender.They where real great guitars I have had three or four of them and love them all.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 07:47 PM

Red face Re: If you ever wanted a cheap Sabre (not an ad), long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidhouse View Post
Fender may not have won over many when they entered the shred market but they did make some great guitars while they were there.
They sure as hell did! if they still made em i would for sure save up and buy one!!!!
i bet with a little mod by a pro that neck could fit on wizard joint. but im not nearly good enough to do it with-out getting overly frusterated. oh well...
you really are a lucky guy! keep one guitar stock or maybe even all three, cuz i bet they will become rare.
thats pretty sweet standing8count!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 09:56 PM

That pink HM and the Talon as such awesome guitars, would love to have them.

Tags
coil split , fret neck , heavy metal , neck joint , neck plate , squier strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode