I'm having a custom 7 built. - Who should I have do it? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2001, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

I'm having a custom 7 built. - Who should I have do it?

OK, since I decided to come out of lurk mode the other day, I figured I'd post about this. *I'm going to have a custom 7 string made but I haven't decided on who I should have do it. *I'm leaning towards GMW because they will do a neck thru one with a custom graphic for around $2500. *Can anyone affirm that this is a good choice or recommend somewhere else to do it?

Thanx, Rich

"but I often wonder what could have been
...and I still dream of running away"
- Fates Warning, A Pleasant Shade of Gray

http://www.richhorner.com - the work of a machine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2001, 09:48 AM

I'm having a custom 7 built.

Heya Rich, check out Conklin Guitars while you're at it. hwww.conklinguitars.com
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2001, 12:50 AM

Conklin is more than 2500. *They are expensive. *GMW is an excellent choice. *Lee Garver did some work for me a while back, and damn... i give the highest recomendation for GMW. *No one is less than astonished at the precision and quality of his work, especially the finish. *Jackson does good customs, but they are expensive. *Same with B.C. Rich. *Rich is better than jackson when it comes to custom work. *I almost had mine done by Rich. *Now, personally i recommend Norton Guitars. *(www.nortonguitars.com) *They are not just a custom shop, they are a Dream Shop. *Not only have they redesigned guitars with their evolutionary concept, but if you can dream it up...they can build it. *After almost a year of R&D and prototyping and papers everywhere, they have taken a dream axe of mine, and built it. *They work very closely with their customers. *I will be unveiling my axe at the end of august (band gig). *It has range to redefine "extended range." *And we aint talkin' just low end. * They have even put triggers and ****
inside necks. *You get ghost harmonics! *Wicked ****
they can do. *Check them out. *
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanx for the suggestions. *Conklin is way too expensive AND they are from Missouri which is where I grew up. *I don't want anything from Missouri :)

Norton is a little out there. *Not sure that's really my thing. *Interesting, but I have no real frame of reference in which to judge their 'revolutionary' stuff.

Thanx for the affirmation on GMW.

Any other suggestions?

Later, Rich
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 01:59 PM

Carvin will make you just about anything under the sun.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 02:17 PM

I'd say try to check out some of your local luthiers.

Don't just head over to a bigger company as they will often overcharge for the work they do, or should I say you won't get as much for your money.

You will also find with a local guy you can build a good 2-way relationship (if he's a nice guy) you can visit him 1-to-1 and talk, see/inspect some of his previous work to decide for yourself if it's of a standard you are looking for and pay a visit for updates on how things are going, which in turn gives you the chance to say "well, I'd like this bit to do this...look like this etc..." you see your work in progress, as opposed to just viewing a final product.
This means you are dealing with a man/woman and not an internet browser/phone/email.

Add to this that you are helping the local guy in your area which is also a very good thing.
He may have a little more trouble sourcing parts than a bigger company, but you can always come here to get a good deal on any parts you need.

Let me just add that I don't know much about the companies mentioned so I could be underestimating their relationship's with the customer.

Give it some thought.

Cheers
Steve
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2001, 09:15 AM

I'm having a custom 7 built and it's only a week or two away!! There is a superb guitar builder in the u.k called Feline Guitars. I was so frustrated that Ibanez will not build customs that I got my dream Universe built. I'll post the picture when it's ready but....
1x EMG707, maple top (w/ matching reverse headstock)
blackburst finish, Universe dimension neck & body, ebony fretboard (no inlays!), Lo-pro Edge & trem (chrome),1 vol 1 tone.
Simple,but refined.
And the thing cost me less than a new Universe!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2001, 05:07 PM

Bob Lynch who occasionally visits this forum has a couple of Vigiers. *He swears by them and I believe that he is thinking about a seven string from them. *I think they do take special orders too.

I believe Bob's first guitar from them was a "Surefretter" or something of that nature, which has a fretless fingerboard which is made from some type of metal!

The thing that struck me is that Bob posted something on their little forum and the luthier that constructs the guitars posted responses.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2001, 06:02 PM

what type of features do u want on it? cause for me a standard carvin is enough to play and work with but for a show, thats a different story, check my other pst for that.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 02:55 PM

I am in the process of figuring out who I want to build my custom 7 as well

I want an JPM style body but with a thick carved flame top *ala the PRS* I want the hardware Dave Weiner has on his new Ibanez custom. I want an all birdseye maple neck and a birdseye fretboard with high figuring

but I havnt found anyone yet that will closly *reproduce* an Ibanez style guitar

I know of the links on the links page here
but I really don't want to have to pay the prices these people want for thier "options" heh

anyhow who is GMW? and do they have a webstie? or am i just mixing them up with someone on the links page?

Thanks
Chris
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 07:07 PM

*its www.gmwguitars.com and they do make some awesome guitars and incredible painjobs, but it is a bit costly.

Tags
birdseye maple neck , custom shop , dave weiner , ebony fretboard , local luthier , maple neck , neck thru , pro edge , reverse headstock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode