I'm starting to really hate Ibanez - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

I'm starting to really hate Ibanez

Ok some of you may remember I got a RG1570 a while back with buzzing problems. Well I returned it their "tech" said it had a twisted neck (I told them that, but its ok they need to prove it).

So anyway they get me another one, string it up and guess what, it frets out a buzzes on the low E only. So I notice the neck joint is bit high like it was shimmed. So I think maybe its shimmed to high, take the neck off and guess what?

The neck is stamped RG2550! I'm guessing this is the wrong neck, maybe I'm wrong, but this is getting silly.

So are the presteige guitars really all this bad? I mean 2 guitars with problems? How common is this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 04:56 AM

Re: I'm starting to really hate Ibanez

Never had problem with the prestige and gios over here, I guess the tech over at your area are just plain mad
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 05:02 AM

The 2550 and the 1570 get the same neck.

I have never purchased a new guitar that did not need a pro set up, so you may just need a little tweaking. Now a twisted neck is another story entirely.

I highly recommend returning it and getting a new 2550 from Ibanez Rules. Not only will you get a hand picked guitar, but the full monty set up from Rich Harris.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 01:01 PM

All Ibanez guitars, in fact, I don't many guitars that still don't need a fretdress, a shim, a pro set up can't be done without these being done, you may get a good setup out of a stock out of the box guitar, but it will not be as it would or you would really want unless these things are done first.
That's all I can suggest, find a good tech, that know's and practices these procedures, with a proper fretdress and setup, that is the only way to get the best setup without buzzing.
Good luck,
Andres
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 02:49 PM

Quite honestly.. I'm not trying to be a complete snob here, but I personally have found most Prestiges to be on the same level as most production guitars and personally only buy the J-Custom line nowadays. Like P.D.U.-OTIO said, pretty much all guitars need a good fretdress even if it's new.

Mind you, is it a LOT of buzz or just a minor amount of buzz?? And do you only hear it on an open string without palm muting? Players like Slash and Joe Satriani have their guitars set up to buzz just a little bit when not palm muted, but sound fine when you do palm mute. (how often do you play without palm muting anyways?). Have you considered just raising the action on the low side just a notch? Giving a 5-10degree turn helps a lot sometimes.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 03:05 PM

Reviews: 18
Smile Re: I'm starting to really hate Ibanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helldogg View Post
Ok some of you may remember I got a RG1570 a while back with buzzing problems. Well I returned it their "tech" said it had a twisted neck (I told them that, but its ok they need to prove it).

So anyway they get me another one, string it up and guess what, it frets out a buzzes on the low E only. So I notice the neck joint is bit high like it was shimmed. So I think maybe its shimmed to high, take the neck off and guess what?

The neck is stamped RG2550! I'm guessing this is the wrong neck, maybe I'm wrong, but this is getting silly.

So are the presteige guitars really all this bad? I mean 2 guitars with problems? How common is this?
If the first guitar you bought had problems, why didn't you just return it and buy one from Rich?

Jimmy
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 04:20 PM

who cares if its stamped 2550? its the same neck...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Doodl3.2 View Post
who cares if its stamped 2550? its the same neck...
+1

Regards

André

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 12:43 PM

A bit of buzz has never bothered me unless it comes out of the amp.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 12:53 PM

If you know this little about ibanez Im not entirely convinced you now how to set one up or if the buzz youre experiencing is just the normal low action buzz that we all get.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gilroy View Post
A bit of buzz has never bothered me unless it comes out of the amp.
+1 I like the action low so if it buzzes a hair and I cant hear it through the amp im ok with it.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwg115 View Post
+1 I like the action low so if it buzzes a hair and I cant hear it through the amp im ok with it.
+1 yep!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
+1 yep!
+2 yep!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
+2 yep!
If I hear a little fret buzz, it lets me know I'm really rockin!!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 03:46 AM

Wow, an almost 7 year old thread brought back from the 'great beyond'....

Tags
ibanez guitars , joe satriani , neck joint , palm mute , palm muting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode