I'm a sucker for a tasty Radius - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

I'm a sucker for a tasty Radius

It seems that I've become addicted to these. I had several 540R gits a while back and sold them all but one (the blue one). Now look at me. Sheez.

Frank, if you see this, FB is itching for the maple neck...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 08:45 AM

Re: I'm a sucker for a tasty Radius

Ash,
Did you just get the red one? I think I remember seeing one like that recently on the bay.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESTER700
Ash,
Did you just get the red one? I think I remember seeing one like that recently on the bay.
Yes. It was the one on abay lately. $380 shipped with new case (non ibanez but nice). The acorn nut on the truss rod was ruined (and not disclosed BTW) so the neck wasn't very playable but after I got that off and another on, sweetness. My first Ibanez was a red '88 540R so this is coming full circle.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 10:59 AM

Great collection!! Congrats.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 11:35 AM

It IS nice. But 4, including a rare fountain blue and a donnie, and NO jewel blue? That's just weird...
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 11:37 AM

Somebody seems to have a strong attraction to Seymour Duncan JB Junior PUs here!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Jester700, the Jewel Blue is on the horizon I'm sure. Just waiting to cop one off the bay. I've kind of given up on moving these out of the house anymore. When I got the red one I'd planned on getting rid of the Donnie. My kids went nuts (girls aged 7 and 4). My oldest wrote a contract for me and made me sign it. "I will keep Donnie. Signed _________"

gitarrero, those are actually SD little 59s. They're split to be single coils with push/pull pots to make them humbuckers if I want. The new aquisition has the old IBZUSA pups and I'll leave those in for while yet to see if i like them. I did rewire the bridge humbucker to parallel instead of series (push/pull pot) so that the levels would be more even across all three positions. Sounds good so far.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 12:43 AM

So there's the one Donnie that Rich doesn't own. Nice collection there. B)

D
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 05:21 AM

So freaking nice .

Regards

André

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 11:33 AM

What does the Donnie's headstock say (I see that there is something but can't tell from the low-res pic) and what do the extra pots on the wall-hanging one do?
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarrero
What does the Donnie's headstock say (I see that there is something but can't tell from the low-res pic) and what do the extra pots on the wall-hanging one do?
It says "Roadstar Series". If you have Satriani's Blue Dream CD look at the picture of him kicked back with feet on the table while playing his guitar. The headstock reads the same.

The xtra pots? OK, you asked for it. Each pot is a tone control for each pickup and a push/pull to make each pickup single coil or humbucker. The are all single coil initially. Three tone controls is overkill normally because when more than one pup is on, any tone control will affect all pickups. That is because the average guitar is wired so that the pickups are connected togethre in parallel. But. If the pickups are connected in series, the tone control for one pickup will not affect the other pickups at all; it only changes the tone of the pickup it is connected to. This opens up a whole bunch of tonal possibilities. The three toggle switches that replaced the standard 5-way switch use the Dan Armstrong Super Strat wiring to get parallel and series groupings of pickups. It is the ultimate. The white one in the photo has this switching and the red one will in a day or so. The Donnie I may leave alone.

Here is the fountain blue:

Last edited by ashbass; 12-04-2005 at 02:12 PM.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 01:20 AM

wow, thats all i can say.

great collection.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbass
It seems that I've become addicted to these. I had several 540R gits a while back and sold them all but one (the blue one). Now look at me. Sheez.

Frank, if you see this, FB is itching for the maple neck...

Those are nice. I'd love to see a Radius style 7-string. Better yet, A JS-7.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbass
The xtra pots? OK, you asked for it. [...]
Wow - so many bells and whistles would confuse me totally on a dark stage. I guess having so many options is good when you're recording stuff, but in a live situation I would definitely prefer my good old 5-way switch without any mini switches (which I consider unergonomic) or push pots.

But anyway, if that's your thing, why not. The Radius guitars don't stop being beautiful just because they have a lot of switchs and knobs.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 02:08 PM

The Radius models are the most beautiful guitars. Sweet collection. I'd love a Jewel Blue one myself, and would kill for a 7-string Radius.

Tags
beautiful guitar , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , maple neck , mini switches , roadstar series , seymour duncan , super strat , toggle switch , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode