I'm thinking the unthinkable - I can't believe this - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2001, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

I'm thinking the unthinkable - I can't believe this

Ok guys. I can't believe I'm actually considering this but...I was at band practice the other night and was playing both my RG7 and AX7. Then I decided to try something different for no reason and picked up a Strat that my drummers dad owns. I was playing it and just started to realize how EASY it was to play. I could jump around and still play with a lot of accuracy. something I usually have trouble with my 7's.

Now it wasnt because it was a strat. But because it was a 6-string. So it got me thinking....

I'm actually considering switching back to 6 strings!! (i cant believe it) I've loved my 7 strings and they sound great but for the same reason wes switched back is simply because...I dont use all 7 strings. Really. I think the whole reason why i got into them is because of the cool idea of it. I got sucked in just like all these other kids do. Dont get me wrong...7 strings have their place. For people who want to use a high E and a low B at the same time. But for me...the 7 strings neck are just to BIG! I just cant play as easily as I can on 6 strings.

As a player I've trying to concentrate more on my technique then having a cool idea...and I think 6 strings are just a ton easier to play. I've always found my 7-strings give me "hand-aches" even tho ive been playing them for a year and a half now...i dunno this really sucks...

Anyway...I want to look more into this before I go and sell off my 7's and invest into a bunch of 6's. But the thing is I want to find 6 string models of all my 7's. Which is going to be very hard because they are rare. Basically I want to see how available RG and AX 6 strings with fixed bridges are. And they need to be of somewhat good quailty. I know I saw an RG-521 on ebay a little while ago...Does anyone else know where I could get one? I would be looking for a black one. I'm still thinking about this but I want to know what you people think. Should I ignore this? I just think it might be a whole lot easier to grow as a player if the damn neck wasnt so big...thanks everyone.

chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 12:07 AM

I'm thinking the unthinkable

I really like the neck on the UV777 guitars!!
But otherwise, *i can really see your point. For me, the 7 strings are great for finishing out those scales... i have always felt the natural need for another string to run my fingers down.. as far as rythmn goes, i am a lead player and lack a bit in rythmn so i find minimal use for it on that aspect.

scott
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 04:15 AM

Reviews: 12

chris, that's probably the same reason why the previous owner of my UV777GR wanted any Ibanez 6 string (my old RG470) as an even trade. I've been playing around 8 years and I've always wanted a 7 string but I never had the chance to get one until a few weeks ago.
Good RG models are considerably the 500 series (RG550 and RG570). There's a cool RG520 model on ebay right now that looks like a preproduction model for the RG 7 string series (I may be wrong). Or you can definitely go for the RG770's if you're into colours or what not Any good RG's and AX's are not hard to find and you can end up getting a good (if not great) price on a high end RG.
I've felt the same way about playing 6 strings lately as well. The first time I played this UV, It took me at least a good few hours to finally get comfortable with it, otherwise it's A BIG difference compared to a regular 6 string. And yes, I do agree about the hand aches but I think i might need to stretch my hand more often :doh:
If you end up getting rid of your 7 strings, just do an even trade for a high end RG series as I'm sure there are people out there wanting to have a good 7 string.
Reg
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 05:12 AM

Despite my email address ([email protected]) I play a six string more often. I just see a 7 string as another spice or tool I can use when I fancy it. also, I find that playing a 7 for a while makes playing a six string much easier. And that is a good thing.

I would hold on to at least one 7 if I were you. You might miss it.

Rick
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Well, one problem with "trades" or even selling them is that they are VERY customized. I know guitars value are their highest when they are in the most original condition. My RG7 could be brought back to somewhat original specs but my AX7 is way off. I filled in the neck pickup cavity and a bunch of control cavities. Also the finish is spray-paint. hehe. Maybe I could find someone who wouldnt mind trading them as is...

*As for the RG models you mentioned, reason why I said it will be hard to find some is because I will NOT go near trems. They have to be fixed bridges. I've thought of the idea of buying some 550's or 570's and filling in the cavity and installing a bridge, refinishing the entire guitar so that it doesn't look like that PGM paul has. but thats a lot of work. Like I said I know the RG-521 exists. I just need to find them. And so far the only AX I've seen that has a fixed bridge is the AX-220. And really thats way to cheap for me. Maybe if I got an AX with a full -tune bridge it would be a lot easier to install a saddle-type bridge.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 11:47 AM

which AX7 do you have? cause if it's the ax7221, the ax120 isn't too far off quality wise. both the ax7221 and ax120 have the same "level of cheapness".
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 12:47 PM

i'm thinking that the reason your hand hurts when you play the wizard 7 neck has more to do with the neck itself. when i play my aj307 all day and then pick up my 7621 and punk out some power chords, my hand cramps up rather quickly, but if i play the same way on my aj307, it doesn't hurt my hand at all... *it might be just me, but maybe a thin neck isn't the answer to making a guitar more playable. *maybe having a thicker neck would give your hand more to work with, better leverage, etc... * maybe its just me... *i prefer a rounder neck... *after all, i started out on a squier strat, then a les paul, so round necks are what i've had the most experience with... *But, as far as the number of strings, you should play what you want to play... more power to you either way you go... *
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

My AX is the AX7-521. Which is a lot nicer then the 221. And my RG was a 7421. So both were kind of middle-class quailty wise but i was happy with them. i owned a 7620 before and didnt see any more quailty then from either my 7421 or 7521. Either way...what I'm thinking of doing is just buying 550's (because they have maple boards, something i always wanted) and 570's for rosewood boards. The bodys color or configuration doesnt matter because I would be filling in all cavitys except for the tone knob hole and the bridge pickup cavity. then refinishing the entire body and headstock. im also thinking it might be better to use necks with the locking nuts because their metal and i was always kinda worried about the plastic nuts breaking because of the heavy gauges I use. of course i wouldnt use the clamps. i'd just take those off.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 07:10 PM

Or you could just install a bone nut where the plastic one was. Fairly inexpensive too......
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2001, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

yea but these guitars already have the top-lok piece on it. i dont think it would make much of a difference between the top-loks and bone nuts. if it has plastic nuts id probably replace it with bone nuts and then my nuts wouldnt break.

sorry for being childish but i couldnt help it
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2001, 07:25 AM

If you decide to sell, make shure you keep i 7 string, if you ever want to switch back, or just wanna play some monster power chords, just to have it handy

Tags
bridge pickup , fixed bridge , les paul , locking nut , locking nuts , neck pickup , pickup cavity , production model , rosewood board , rosewood boards , squier strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode