Importing guitars from japan. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 18
Question Importing guitars from japan.

How much does it cost to import guitars from japan? Someone has to know since some of you guys get J Customs somehow.I want to know because ESP makes some awesome models in Japan (kin of like Ibanez) that they don't sell over here, check it out.

standard series
http://www.espguitars.co.jp/original/

artist series
http://www.espguitars.co.jp/artist/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 09:18 PM

Re: Importing guitars from japan.

I imported my J-Custom with the help of Hide-san from [email protected]. He's not the cheapest, but gives absolutely excellent service, and packs extremely well. He charges 10% on the base item rate (excluding internal shipping etc), and then another 3% on everything (including international shipping) to cover PayPal charges.

Shipping from Japan isn't too bad via EMS; I paid about 16000jpy. And it's pretty fast, too.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 10:25 PM

I don't think dealers can import new guitars from Japan anymore so you hae to find a middle man. I have used Meestursparkle. He is on that evil auction site and is awesome. I got my Caparison from him before there were any US dealers. He was very reasonable and packed it perfectly. Made it here fine in 3 days and was cheaper than anyone else I could find. Look him up on that evil auction site and shoot him an e-mail if you are willing to pay what the guitar is worth he will go out of his way to get it for you.

Last edited by Riverdragon; 05-26-2009 at 12:04 AM.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 11:55 PM

+1.....Meestursparkle!! have dealt with him 5 times no probs at all,BRILLIANT!
Rare guitars/great prices/on your doorstep fast(2-3 days).
He is busy and usually your choices are limited to his available stock only,but he has specifically got guitars for people before so try your luck,$$$ talks.
He provides a great service to all of us who love Japanese guitars and jap prices are alot cheaper than domestically(well for me anyway).
He has listings on the bay all the time,search for 'Ibanez j custom',he'll be in the list somewhere.

Goodluck mate,you wont be disappointed.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 12:02 AM
Vendor

Anybody not buying direct from Ikebe or Ishibashi [or any of the many that export] is just throwing money away and being too lazy to make your own purchase by depending on somebody else to do it for you.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 12:06 AM

Ikebe and Ikebashi can't import most new guitars to the US anymore. Meestursparkle actually went out and found me exactly the guitar I wanted and undercut the best price I could find by $50.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 12:08 AM
Vendor

And who told you that?!
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 04:21 AM

how do you buy from the jap sites? do you have to download a translating thing to be able to read the webpages? And then is it a case of doing the paypal thing like normal or do you have to set up another way of paying them?

I am seriously keen to look into something like this as buying in new zealand means paying roughly twice what everyone else pays...

We could do with someone explaining step by step the process for getting a new guitar from japan to their doorstep without the use of a middle man.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 01:43 PM
Vendor

There are buying agents like the one Rayle posted above, although there are many.

If buying from a dealer, of which there are also many, just write. They speak English very well and will send you an extremely detailed answer including all costs and how to pay. Here are 2 of the biggest,

Koichi Tanimoto/International Sales Agent
Ishibashi WEB SHOP
Ishibashi Music Corporation
E-mail---> [email protected]
Web Site Domestic---> http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/
Web Site Intl.---> http://www.ishibashi-music.com
USED WEB Site---> http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u-box/r-shop.cgi
Telephone number: +81-3-3291-7090
Fax: +81-3-3291-7099

RIYO-TSUJI / INTERNATIONAL SALES
IKEBE MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS STORE CO.,LTD
72,KANDA SAKUMAGASHI,CHIYODAKU,TOKYO,
101-0026 JAPAN
Phone 81-3-3862-1450
Fax 81-3-3861-6190
E-mail [email protected]

Itchi may or may not take your credit card, sometimes they won't [although they always take mine], where Ikebe requires you to send a bank transfer.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
And who told you that?!
That is what Ikebe Gakki will tell you if you try to order a guitar to be shipped to the US.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 10:30 PM
Vendor

So you're trying to say they won't ship any guitar to the US now?
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 01:37 AM

The answer that Rich is a yes and and a no. Ikebe won't ship Caparison guitars any more (buggers forced me to circumvent them by being the distributor now). However they will still ship most product lines as long as it's not a product that is heavily controlled by the manufacturer. They should however still be able to ship Ibanez, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Things may have changed.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 01:40 AM
Vendor

Thanks Budd, that was what I figured would be the facts. Just as no dealer can export Dimarzio or EBMM from the US because of dealer restrictions.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Thanks Budd, that was what I figured would be the facts. Just as no dealer can export Dimarzio or EBMM from the US because of dealer restrictions.
No problem man. I'm starting to believe that a lot of these companies are starting to put restrictions on what can be exported. It would explain why there's such a market for it on the bay with people from Japan reselling JDM guitars (such as our friend meestursparkle).
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 02:17 AM
Vendor

You're going to start seeing some of these companies crack down on these e-bay brokers, especially the most active ones [mentioned].

Tags
esp , importing , japan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode