Incoming NGD! (RG520??? not sure) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
Talking Incoming NGD! (RG520??? not sure)

Well, I took a trip down to my local (75 miles away ) Guitar center, not really aiming to buy anything, just get some ideas and mess around for the day. As i started to move on, i stumbled into the used section, and I came across this RG. All they were able to really find out about it was it was a Japanese RG, and even I couldn't place it. The serial number starts with F00 on the back, and it has cosmo hardware (in pretty good condition) and has an original edge (OE, not LP) and the "RG series" stamp on the headstock. It has a dark blue (with some green hues, like the ocean) finish and *maybe* seems like a trans/quilt finish. It had a AANJ and the old style bubinga (or walnut??) stripe, definitely an original wizard in comparison to the wizard-II, very thin, very flat! and V7 and V8 pickups (rear route, no binding), and they sound a bit better then the INF pickups, which even though, those were ok, it makes up for this one being only HH.

So I am pretty sure this is a ~2000 RG520 of some kinda, but i cant really find anything like it. Will post pics on the NGD in about 30-60 days lol

This is my first "real" RG, and actually my first floyd too, although my strat trem on my RX is floating. I played it out pretty well, and even though it's not HSH, i knew i had to have it!!!!

EDIT, pics not working
Specs:
Rosewood board, jumbo frets (larger then the one on the RG4EXQM1)
Dot inlays
Dark blue w/ green maybe trans finish
AANJ
Cosmo black H/W
Original Edge
Original skunk-stripe wizard with "RG series" logo
HH with V7 and V8 P/Us
Not sure about body woods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 02:07 PM

Re: Incoming NGD! (RG520??? not sure)

Gotta be an RG520qs.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/...t_id=241&now=6
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 02:28 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 05:45 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezDaemon View Post
agreed - sounds like a 520qs...great guitars...I really like the tone of the mahogany body.

I just bought a used RG520QS about 4 months ago but mine is the brown root beer coloured one. Mine also has the original Edge trem with the stock V7 V8 pups. Here are some pics of mine if you wnat to compare:

http://s831.photobucket.com/albums/z...ey777/RG520qs/

I really like my RG520QS and would highly recommend this guitar...congrats on finding yours - hope you got a good deal on it
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Talking Re: Incoming NGD! (RG520??? not sure)

Okay, Here are the pics i was able to take with my friends phone while i was at GC. I realize that I didn't take a picture of the whole guitar, oh well - but, i *did* make sure to capture the most unflattering shots of the hardware lol. The bridge works great, and other then the rust pictured, there isn't anything else notable that pictures would show. as you can see, the top does have some hints of green in the staining, that seems typical for this model, and I like it . and yes, it was a steal lol, and an excellent compromise between the guitars I was choosing between, too!

The only thing about the models is Rich said on some of these for this year, ibanez had the knife edges too fat. how would I be able to tell? The bridge seemed very smooth imo, just wondering how i could tell if the knives were too fat.

jeez, i'm getting GAS just talking about it, and it's practically mine

Last edited by fwd0120; 03-01-2011 at 10:24 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 01:45 AM

Reviews: 2

If it returns to pitch dependably, you got the good ones. If it doesn't, you might have the bad ones (you might also have worn knife's if return is a problem)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
If it returns to pitch dependably, you got the good ones. If it doesn't, you might have the bad ones (you might also have worn knife's if return is a problem)
Thanks!! If it turns out to be a bad one, it doesn't seem too hard to file 'em. and if worst comes to worst, it doesn't seem too hard to find a cosmo edge, i might even go lo-pro lol, those routes fit each other, right?

Either way, when I tested it for about half an hour, it seemed to hold up just as well or better then the edge III when I was A/B'ing the two (520/4EX1qm), which the E3 wasn't as bad as everybody says it is lol, well, the OE is 10 years older, who knows what condition the E3 will be in in 10 years .

Last edited by fwd0120; 02-14-2011 at 12:20 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 10:26 PM

I have 2 of these, hands down my favorite playing guitar!!!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 11:25 PM

Reviews: 11

I've got one too, bought it new in 2000 and it's my favorite guitar. The original Edge is EXCELLENT. BTW, the knifes are replaceable on the Edge trem and are hardened so they are pretty tough. If it doesn't return to pitch it most likely just needs fresh strings and a trem adjustment. Everything you need to know about setting up the trem is right here: http://www.jemsite.com/articles-menu...modifications/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode