Indonesian Guitar Manufacturers - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Indonesian Guitar Manufacturers

We were having a discussion on another board about the actual different manufacturers in Korea, Indonesia and China and how they make guitars for bunches of different manufacturers. I think we all know by now what actual Korean shops were making what guitars but the Indonesian shops seem to be more unknown. Cort Indonesia has some guitars that start with "CT" in the serial number(Dean for example).

Do you guys know what the actual shop(s) is that's making the Indonesian Ibanez guitars ? Is there 2 different shops ? You have all the low-mid range guitars with an "I" serial number and then you have the Premiums that have just 5-digit numbers with a letter as the serial number.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 09:55 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Indonesian Guitar Manufacturers

The Premiums are a dedicated Ibanez factory, first time they've had their own. The regular ones I think are a Cort factory.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
The Premiums are a dedicated Ibanez factory, first time they've had their own. The regular ones I think are a Cort factory.
I had heard that the Premiums were made at a World Musical Instruments factory in Indonesia ???? World builds the highest quality Korean guitars. Another guitar manufacturer production manager told me this and claimed they were going to start using the same factory. I have not however seen any Indonesian guitars from this manufacturer yet, just World Guitars Korea.

Last edited by OliverKlohzoff; 10-06-2012 at 11:26 PM.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 03:25 AM

From the Ibanez website:

RG PREMIUM SERIES BASICS
Made at Ibanez Premium factory, built to Premium quality standards
Premium grade select woods
Hand-rolled Premium fret edges for comfortable neck grip
USA made DiMarzio pickups
Ultimate tuning stability with Edge-Zero II bridge/tremolo w/ZPS 3
Lower profile designed Tight-End R bridge features great tuning stability with saddle lock function
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverKlohzoff View Post
I had heard that the Premiums were made at a World Musical Instruments factory in Indonesia ???? World builds the highest quality Korean guitars. Another guitar manufacturer production manager told me this and claimed they were going to start using the same factory. I have not however seen any Indonesian guitars from this manufacturer yet, just World Guitars Korea.

World makes great products, no question. The best? That's a bold statement to make. They make thier products to the standards that the company who orders from them is willing to pay for. They charge more than some other factories in Korea because they are able to achieve high quality control.

The factory we use at Reverend is called Mirr Music Co - and he does amazing work for us. Remember - we don't have a high end US build to compete with, so we demand the best work possible, we get it, and we pay for it... He does a few smaller brands as well. Including a brand that sells the guitars for 2000+ and doesn't disclose that our guy builds them. He gets the money for them because the guitars are great.

There shouldn't be a pre-concieved notion about quality based on country of origin. It always comes down to hands on.

Sorry I went off topic.

Last edited by khaas; 10-07-2012 at 09:24 AM. Reason: spelling
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

All good information and all understood. I take it this Mirr Music Co. is in Korea ? I had never heard of that one. People do rave about the quality of the Korean Reverend guitars. As far as the bigger shops there, the guitars coming out of World Musical Instrument(PRS, DBZ, Schecter and LTD if there are any left coming from there) all seem to be high quality. The UnSung Korean Deans have reached a very high quality over the last 5 years or so but are quickly disappearing and going up in price.

As mentioned previously, we were having a discussion about these different manufacturers(the actual shops, not the brand names) and the subject of Cort and their abuse of employees came up. See this story about how Cort abused their employees and then shut down their Korean plant in 2007 to move to Indonesia and China because the employees organized under a union and wanted minimum wage. Apparently the head guy there is one of the richest people in the world:

http://www.independentworldreport.co...e-your-guitar/

This could mean just about anything: "RG PREMIUM SERIES BASICS
Made at Ibanez Premium factory, built to Premium quality standards" . It could still be any shop in Indonesia. I was just curious if it really was World Musical Instrument's shop in Indonesia. They at least treat their employees better than Cort. If you start researching the Cort labor issues, it gets pretty ugly as there are stories all over the internet about it. I just personally can't support a company like Cort by buying guitars made by them.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Let's not get into the politics of guitar making, there are plenty of sites to discuss politics. Jemsite isn't one of them
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

OK, gotcha. Aside from the politics, just trying to figure out what shop is building these guitars. We know it's Cort on the majority and another shop on the Premiums. According to this article about the Premiums:

http://iheartguitarblog.com/2011/01/premium.html

"Further demonstrating Ibanez’s confidence in Indonesia is the fact that the company part-owns the factory these are built in – an unprecedented move for a company that has previously contracted all their manufacturing to outside companies like Fujigen, Cort, Samick and World."

So it's not Cort and Ibanez is a "part owner".
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 04:37 PM

Yes, but Ibanez employ the staff working in their wing of the factory. A bunch of Fugijen staff head it up, and trained the locals to build the Premiums to the standards Ibanez demanded.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 09:52 AM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaas View Post
World makes great products, no question. The best? That's a bold statement to make. They make thier products to the standards that the company who orders from them is willing to pay for. They charge more than some other factories in Korea because they are able to achieve high quality control.

The factory we use at Reverend is called Mirr Music Co - and he does amazing work for us. Remember - we don't have a high end US build to compete with, so we demand the best work possible, we get it, and we pay for it... He does a few smaller brands as well. Including a brand that sells the guitars for 2000+ and doesn't disclose that our guy builds them. He gets the money for them because the guitars are great.

There shouldn't be a pre-concieved notion about quality based on country of origin. It always comes down to hands on.

Sorry I went off topic.
I saw one of your guitars in an add in Guitar Player. Very nice! I'm not into the LP body style and haven't strayed from RG's but the guitar looked sharp all the same. I'll have to try one out the next time I'm in a music shop.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 10:56 AM

Funny how Premium is not always premium when it comes to finishing.

On my local shop there was S970CW...and just above the neck there was actually a small green paint drop present. But still so big you could easily spot that on the otherwise stunning surface.

In Japan I doubt they would have never let that guitar go out of factory like that. Even all Korean made S series I've seen were perfect finished when it comes to body paint and surface.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverKlohzoff View Post
OK, gotcha. Aside from the politics, just trying to figure out what shop is building these guitars. We know it's Cort on the majority and another shop on the Premiums. According to this article about the Premiums:

http://iheartguitarblog.com/2011/01/premium.html

"Further demonstrating Ibanez’s confidence in Indonesia is the fact that the company part-owns the factory these are built in – an unprecedented move for a company that has previously contracted all their manufacturing to outside companies like Fujigen, Cort, Samick and World."

So it's not Cort and Ibanez is a "part owner".
The only reason it says part owner is because they're sharing a building with another guitar maker.

All Ibanez Premium guitars are built by Ibanez employees in an Ibanez facility, which was set up and overseen by Fujigen and J Craft Ibanez employees.

It just so happens that the rest of the building is owned by the ghost-builders for some of Ibanez' non premium lines.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yearn_for_change View Post
Funny how Premium is not always premium when it comes to finishing.

On my local shop there was S970CW...and just above the neck there was actually a small green paint drop present. But still so big you could easily spot that on the otherwise stunning surface.

In Japan I doubt they would have never let that guitar go out of factory like that. Even all Korean made S series I've seen were perfect finished when it comes to body paint and surface.
A Premium RG827Z-BK costs £600.
The Prestige RG2627ZE, costs £1200.

A Premium RG870Z costs £550.
The Prestige RG1570 costs £800.

If you're going to complain about finish blemishes on guitars costing practically half as much, which have all-but identical playability to the higher end models, (In fact, every premium I've ever played has been more smooth and buttery than my Prestige S2170FW), then I think you're just going to find something to complain about regardless.

They're much cheaper, and most everything important about them is as good as the higher end models. They have hardened knife edge bridges, they have rounded fret ends (Which prestige instruments have never had, this used to be a J Custom feature), they have wood binding and quilt maple tops available (Which the Prestige RG line still does not), and they play and sound damned good.

Something has to give to hit the pricepoints, and those things are:

Finishing (Which is still ****ing good, just not absolutely perfect on 100% of guitars)
Pickups (But those can be changed. In fact, the Chapman M1 originally came with the worst pickups possible, to promote player customisation)
No intonation tool on the bridge
No gotoh tuners. (But they're mostly locking bridges, so this is inconsequential).

Fact is, the Premiums are everything people have been asking for from Ibanez since basically forever, and there's nothing to bitch about from what I can see.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
Bull****. Here in Finland S970 CW listprice is more than 1000 euros which is 800 £. When you pay that much from guitar which is suppose to be premium you sure don't accept small green paint stains on otherwise beautiful body!

Sure if it would read only Ibanez on headstock I would understand, but with Premium put there also it's unacceptable.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 05:43 PM

The Prestige S Series costs nearly £500 more than your example S970, despite offering nothing significantly different in terms of features apart from pickups. Thats the premium you're paying for the higher finish quality you see in the Japanese instruments.

You're not comparing apples to apples here. If you want Prestige quality, you buy a prestige. If you want to save money, you buy a premium, accept that there will have to be something of lesser quality about it in order for Ibanez to offer it at the cheaper price, and you play it, damned well thankful that Ibanez with the premium line have largely compromised on inconsequential things that don't affect the function of a fine instrument.

The Premium lines by Ibanez are the highest quality playing and sounding guitars they've made in over a decade. I have a Japanese RG550 and a Korean S2170FW that don't hold candles to any premium I've played in terms of setup, action, playability or sound, even after I've put money into them to improve them.

I couldn't care less if there are finish blemishes, if thats the compromise that's being made to bring me a high quality instrument at an affordable price. Better that than forcing an Edge 3 or Edge 2 down my throat, or not doing the fretwork properly.

And the overall price is really rather insignificant. In case you hadn't noticed, guitars across the board have risen in price for years. There's nothing about the premiums that is worse than similarly priced offerings from other manufacturers. They're not "Out of line" in offering what they're offering, and its possible to pick up far more expensive instruments from other brands, that have worse quality control and worse playability overall.

Tags
indonesia serial numbers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode