Indonesian Ibanez guitars - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Indonesian Ibanez guitars

The local GC started carrying Indonesian-made Ibanez's (along with some GIO's and starter pack's, it's all they carry now). How do these rate compared to the Korean made models. I know they can't compare to the Japanese made models, but there are some good Korean models (like the SZ series) and wonder if there's any comparisons to make or are they boat paddles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 04:33 PM

Re: Indonesian Ibanez guitars

boat paddles, but really they lack in features etc. so its never gonna sound or feel as good as korean/japanese. i dont really care for attention to detail but construction/woods is a must for me, IMO if u it feels orite it is. its not like if im at a gig and someone from 7 rows back notices that my pickup ring is slightly out of place! not bovered really
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 05:22 PM
Vendor

A GIO accidently hit my doorstep [a return to HUSA, the address label was lost so FedEx dropped it on my doorstep!!]. The workmanship was surprisingly equal to MIK, but the neck maple was as flatsawn as flatsawn gets.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Well, I'm not disputing the "feel" factor that if you like the feel, go crazy with it, just wondering how and if the quality of the Indo's fall below the Koreans.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 07:20 PM

I got a box of cookies for anyone who can decode Normal's response.
What the hell do ofite, and bovered mean, I've been speaking english a long time and never encountered those words.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 07:51 PM

I'fink, "bovered" = bothered, and "orite" = alright.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 08:58 PM

Had an RG320, that I believe was a Korean model. Hated it. Traded it in for an Indonesian RG220, and couldn't be happier. Man, that 320 sucked, for tuning. Had the dreaded LO-TRS II, in it, and it wouldn't hold tune for a hill of beans. Now the RG220 has the Edge III. Some knock it, without even OWNING it, but I have to say, it holds tune beautifully. Sure, it's no original Edge, like in my old 550, but it's much better than most, out there.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 10:40 PM

Those indonesian guitars aren't that bad at all, they're all over the place here in malaysia, if you want to compare it MIK it's still comparable
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 02:03 AM

I don't think that the Indonesians are putting out any worse of instruments than the Koreans. It's all about the series of the guitar. Obviously the QC for GIOs is quite a bit lower than the QC for the RG3xx series guitars. Personally I have a Korean RG370DX with an Edge III and it is a really good guitar. The bridge holds its tuning quite well once you've broken it in. Then I also have an S470DX that's Korean made and it is also a very fine instrument. Compare those with my Idonesian made RG321MH and it's hard to tell the difference as far as build quality goes. Mine has a BEAUTIFUL grain which everyone seems to compliment and since I changed the stock pickups the guitar freakin' screams.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyconxero
I don't think that the Indonesians are putting out any worse of instruments than the Koreans. It's all about the series of the guitar. Obviously the QC for GIOs is quite a bit lower than the QC for the RG3xx series guitars. Personally I have a Korean RG370DX with an Edge III and it is a really good guitar. The bridge holds its tuning quite well once you've broken it in. Then I also have an S470DX that's Korean made and it is also a very fine instrument. Compare those with my Idonesian made RG321MH and it's hard to tell the difference as far as build quality goes. Mine has a BEAUTIFUL grain which everyone seems to compliment and since I changed the stock pickups the guitar freakin' screams.
+1 about RG370DX. Yes, a really good guitar. Cheap And Good.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 05:59 AM
dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Secret
The local GC started carrying Indonesian-made Ibanez's (along with some GIO's and starter pack's, it's all they carry now). How do these rate compared to the Korean made models. I know they can't compare to the Japanese made models, but there are some good Korean models (like the SZ series) and wonder if there's any comparisons to make or are they boat paddles?
A little background.
The Indonesian made Ibani are made by Yamaha.
Yamaha have had a drum factory in Indonesia for a few years now and after realising how succesful and reliable the drum factory was they expanded it to make guitars.
The Indonesian made Yamy Pacifica 012(aghatis) and 112(alder) were so popular - it made Fender move their Squier production to China so they could compete on price.
The budget Yamy Pacs (012, 112 and 312) have won so many "shoot outs" in the guitar magazines and have been so succesful that Ibanez subcontracted Yamaha to make the GRX (20 and 40) and the GSA (20 and 60) range in the same factory in Indonesia and now, several years later they have expanded the Indonesian output quite a bit.
To be fair I've not heard a single complaint about the budget Pacificas - construction, quality, consistency, QC, etc, from anyone - everyone loves them.
I wouldn't be surptised if JD was involved in the Indonesian factory setup/QC - after all the RGX and the PACs are very similar in shape and size to the 540 (P, R and S) range Ibanez used to offer when he was in charge there.
I don't own an Indonesian made Ibanez but I do have an Indonesian made Yamaha (SA 500 in sunburst) and it's as good as any other semi acoustic guitar I've played.
In fact my next guitar purchase will be a RG321 as I've given up on floating trems and I like meatier necks so the current range of Ibanez Japan has absolutely nothing to offer........

ilia
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 06:47 AM

Well i have a yamaha rgx which is basically a pacifica but with slightly different styling. mines made in indonesia and is really great. the quality is near enough the same. my yamahas tone and volume nobs fell off but then again my ibanez did have sum flaws worse than that of the yamaha so i guess indonesians r as good as koreans
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 10:36 AM

My Yammy RGX121 is stamped on the back of the headstock "Made in Taiwan".
It's gat a serial saying MX27162 if that sheds any light ?

Ben
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 12:27 PM

I love my Rg3EX1 Its really fantastic looking and plays & sounds to die for

After setting it up the thing just tears it up

the only quality issues wiht mine are the cheap stock tuners...

the neck is a bit on the cheapish side but it really plays well none the less
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggy
My Yammy RGX121 is stamped on the back of the headstock "Made in Taiwan".
It's gat a serial saying MX27162 if that sheds any light ?

Ben
isnt urs quite old? coz mine is 2003 and is made in indonesia, i remeber a thread where u posted pics of urs. so im guessing they mite of moved production somewhere along the line

Tags
acoustic guitar , floating trems , guitar mag , pickup ring , yamaha rgx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode