Inexpensive guitar suggestions? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Inexpensive guitar suggestions?

Hi everyone -
So my girlfriend wants to get me something for Valentine's Day, something guitar-related. So i really don't need anything in terms of effects or amps, so looking for maybe an inexpensive guitar (~$200).
I already have an Ibanez RG550 which i love, the only thing i would change on it would be to have a thicker neck. So I'm thinking of getting something with a thicker neck (shouldn't be hard as the wizard necks are very thin).
I want a maple fingerboard - the only requirement (along with price).
Looking at maybe:

Squier 51
Squier Affinity Tele
OLP MM1
Kramer Focus Series (musicyo)?

any suggestions/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 03:58 PM

Re: Inexpensive guitar suggestions?

Intriguing question. Well of the ones you selected i may reccoment the OLP MM1. It is a high quality device and it should do well for several years with little or no repair work. And the necks are extremely good. Only thing to avoid IMO is the MM1F with the TRS trem. You will be buying a new floyd in days with that thing. So happy hunting and happy v day. Joshua
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 03:58 PM

Intriguing question. Well of the ones you selected i may reccoment the OLP MM1. It is a high quality device and it should do well for several years with little or no repair work. And the necks are extremely good. Only thing to avoid IMO is the MM1F with the TRS trem. You will be buying a new floyd in days with that thing. So happy hunting and happy v day. Joshua
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Hi thebigugly -
Thanks for the suggestions. After reading some of the reviews for the above mentioned models, it seems like with the Focus and the squiers there is alot of work needed to get the guitar up and running (i.e. filing sharp frets, changing saddles, tuners, etc...). I don't feel like doing all that.
The OLP seems from the reviews to be good "out of the box".

Might go with that, but been looking at the Fender Standard Strats as well - a bit out of the $ range but who knows....

jeff
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 04:33 PM

try an agile.
it has been getting alot of good reviews from users on other forums and seems to be bargain for that price range.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 04:39 PM

used Mexican Strats are about 200 all the time
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 04:41 PM

At that price range I don't think you can beat Yamahas, at least at the prices in the UK, and I guess you pay even less for them in the states.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 04:47 PM

You sure there's nothing else you would want to spend $200 on?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 04:57 PM

I've just bagged a late 80's Charvette for 50 recently.
Strat style body, vintige style trem and H/S/S with a five way. It's one of the best little guitars I've ever bought and it'll give my DY chance for a well earned rest every couple of days.

$0.02

Ben
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Hi all -
Thanks so far...
I'm leaning toward a Fender strat i think, always wanted one. A bit more than $200 but you never know..........
As for something else, what else is good out in terms of effects? I have a vox amp which i am getting great sounds from and it covers all the effects i'll ever use.

jeff
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777
That is what I would recommend too! Much better than a squier I haven't played many Yamaha electrics but I've played some Yamaha acoustics that were a good buy for the price.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking of getting a MIM Strat in artic white with maple fingerboard - you know get that yngwie vibe going (LOL).
I've always had floyd rose equipped guitars - how do the strats fair in staying in tune? I don't use the bar at all, just want to make sure when i go bend a couple of notes here and there that the guitar doesn't go out of tune.

jeff
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 07:18 PM

I bought a Squier Standard strat, this past year, for $180.00. Played just as good as my Mexi-Strat, and was actually quieter. Brown burst. Only thing I didn't like was the large headstock, so I re-shaped it, to that of my Mexi-Strat. Best $180 I ever spent. Not ALL lower-priced guitars are bad. I've played high-end Gibsons that were awful. Try it before you buy it, that's all.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 07:27 PM

Fender synchronized trems aren't terrible, and especially if you're doing little to no trem work. Bending does pretty much nothing to any of the strats i've played on (unless the strings are real old and catch on the nut easily). Just don't expect to be able to do fun Floyd stuff on 'em Oh and fluidity on these trems is pretty much out of the question...
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777
+1 to that.. they are much better than the squier

Tags
equipped guitar , fender strat , fixed bridge , floyd rose , maple fingerboard , maple fret , maple fretboard , mexican strat , rosewood fretboard , rosewood fretboards , strat style , vintage trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode