Info on 540 Radius - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Info on 540 Radius

Jemsite/Ibanez folks,

I've come across what appears to be a circa 1990 540 Radius HH model in very good condition. It has all the things I remember a late 80s/early 90s 540 should have - IBZ/USA pickups, Edge trem, black hardware on the Radius, etc. It's candy red, which I remember being a pretty common color. According to the listing it has a hard case, but I have no idea if it's an Ibanez case or something else.

What should I be looking for on these - any problem areas, things that could have worn out over the years, etc? What would be a reasonable price?

Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry; called the pickups "IBZ/DMZ" instead of "IBZ/USA"

Last edited by John C; 12-09-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 04:34 PM

Re: Info on 540 Radius

Basic cracks at the neck joint is all I'd really "worry about" as much as it affected all the Ibanez guitars of that time period. I bought one new in 1991 (H-S-S) and played it in clubs for over 10 yrs and only ever replaced the 5 way switch about 8 yrs in. I did change the bridge pickup to a PAF as soon as I got it, but that was a personal choice. It's one of the guitars I will NEVER sell, it's just that good.

I watch for these on the bay all the time and it's rare to see them go for less than $400.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

I looked at this one on my way home from work tonight; it is in pretty good shape. The neck has been either played in or polished to a glossy finish (like a lot of satin lacquered necks get after use); some light scratches on the back but it is in what I would call very good condition. Now for what I consider the "bad news" - while the neck pickup is the original IBZ/USA F1 the bridge pickup has been swapped out for what appears to be a DiMarzio X2N rail pickup - a pickup I've never much cared for. The Edge appears to be in good shape to my untrained eye (I've only had one guitar with a Floyd, and it was a Peavey Wolfgang I had about 9 years ago).

I don't think I'm going to take a run at it; it didn't grab me like 540 Radius models did back in the day even though the price is right ($350 with case). I'm just looking for a play-around third guitar, not a project that includes a pickup replacement.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C View Post
I looked at this one on my way home from work tonight; it is in pretty good shape. The neck has been either played in or polished to a glossy finish (like a lot of satin lacquered necks get after use); some light scratches on the back but it is in what I would call very good condition. Now for what I consider the "bad news" - while the neck pickup is the original IBZ/USA F1 the bridge pickup has been swapped out for what appears to be a DiMarzio X2N rail pickup - a pickup I've never much cared for. The Edge appears to be in good shape to my untrained eye (I've only had one guitar with a Floyd, and it was a Peavey Wolfgang I had about 9 years ago).

I don't think I'm going to take a run at it; it didn't grab me like 540 Radius models did back in the day even though the price is right ($350 with case). I'm just looking for a play-around third guitar, not a project that includes a pickup replacement.
If there were no blemishes on the front I'd hit it in a second for 350. The HH models are more rare to find than the HSS configuration. You almost never see an HH on ****. You should jump on it, sell the pup you don't want one **** and use the money to put in another F1 if you want it or another pup altogether. If you don't want it, where is it :-) Send me a pm and I'll get busy with it myself.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbass View Post
If there were no blemishes on the front I'd hit it in a second for 350. The HH models are more rare to find than the HSS configuration. You almost never see an HH on ****. You should jump on it, sell the pup you don't want one **** and use the money to put in another F1 if you want it or another pup altogether. If you don't want it, where is it :-) Send me a pm and I'll get busy with it myself.
ashbass - PM sent.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 05:32 PM

It's a nice radius. A kit model I believe. It has the HH pup configuration but has a blade switch instead of of the typical gibson-like toggle switch. Otherwise I'd buy for sure. It's on the auction site listed incorrectly right now. 270316883618 if interested. It's a clean example folks. Should make someone happy.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Ashbass - you know I didn't even pay attention to the fact that it had a blade switch instead of the toggle switch; I think you're right that it's a parts guitar, not an original. Sorry for the false alarm guys.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 10:08 PM

No, I think it is original. Ibanez for a few years allowed users to custom spec their guitars. No doubt the neck pocket of the body of this guitar says "KIT". It's not a production model, but it is factory stock I'm sure. A nice find really.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbass View Post
No, I think it is original. Ibanez for a few years allowed users to custom spec their guitars. No doubt the neck pocket of the body of this guitar says "KIT". It's not a production model, but it is factory stock I'm sure. A nice find really.
Thanks for that info; I never realized that the average player could get customized pieces from Ibanez; I thought your name had to be Vai, Gilbert, Satriani, etc.

I don't know if this helps ID the guitar, but the serial number is on the neck plate. Frankly I can't remember when Ibanez changed to headstock serial number decals on the bolt-ons.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 11:51 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand it these weren't really custom guitars. Ibanez USA had a large parts bin of normal Japanese parts and mixed and matched various parts according to customers needs. I guess it is what many on this forum do anyway, getting a neck from one model and the body from an other and building the guitar that suits them better.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 01:28 AM

Mine is a 1991 and it has the blade switch and it's not a kit. It was made in the Case Ave shop and bought brand new by me at GC in San Jose.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 06:37 PM

$650 ending. Whew. That's a lotta cash about now. Good buy the winning bidder. Someone from here?

Tags
540r radius

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode