Info on Ibanez UCEW1QM - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Info on Ibanez UCEW1QM

Folks:

I'm looking for information and opinions on the Ibanez Custom UCEW1QM. How good is this guitar? What should be the average price for one in excellent condition? I have a chance to buy one and would like to get information on the guitar before I make my decision. By information I mean experiences or opinions on the guitar (playability, sound, balance, etc). Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 06:16 PM

Re: Info on Ibanez UCEW1QM

I own a UCEW1FM and I thin kthe guitar is great. Just can't stand the sharkfin inlays. The USA Custom Exotic wood line came in various options so the configuration that you're looking at may be different than mine. If it's in good condition you can expect to pay about $1000-$1400 for it. The prices really vary, but they all come with a nice chunk of maple on top.

As for playability and sound, that depends on how well it's setup and the configration. Mine came with two PAF-Pro's and some dimarzio single coil when I got it and I swapped them out for some other ones. Balance wise, the guitar body is quite heavy.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

The one I could buy has two humbuckers. The bridge one is a Tone Zone. I forget about the one in the neck. How iare the neck on these guitars?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 06:37 PM

The necks on them were either Wizards or Ultra necks. Either way the necks on them are great.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 07:25 PM

My brother and I both owned a UCEW1FM at one point. They are very nice looking instruments, I definitely prefer the "Utra" neck equipped models but the wizards feel nice too. The only thing we both did not like about them is that the presence of all of that maple on the top of the guitar tended to make them sound a bit thin, actually kind of nasaly. I did not really even notice it that much until I compared the UCEW recordings to recordings I had made with my mahogany/maple J-C's and my brother's 560's and radii; in comparison the UCEW's definitely did seem to lack some mid range sustain. Either way they are very nice, classy looking instruments and they are very unique in this time; if I found another one I would probably still buy it despite its faults (I mean one could always change the pickups to help compensate for all of that maple).
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

What do you guys think would be the best pickups for this guitar?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 07:32 PM

I'd go with either Tone Zone or a Duncan Custom. I currently have a Tone Zone in mine and find it to be pretty good(I'll probably switch to a Duncan Custom soon though).
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 07:59 PM

I've had 7 assorted UCEWs, two of which were UCEW1FMs. Also had (2) QMs, (2) Birdseye Maples (my favorites) and (1) Lacewood. All were great looking and great playing guitars, but I never quite liked the overall tonality of them. The most that I ever paid for one was $700 for a dead-mint UCEW1QM (that was about 3 years ago though.)

Like Soloist said, the mid-range left a lot to be desired on all of them. I never messed too much with swapping pickups on them, but I'm sure that that could compensate somewhat.

The one Birdseye model that I liked the most ended up with a Tone Zone/FRED combo which I actually ended up really liking. The FRED isn't usually used as a neck pickup, but really worked well in that guitar.

Nice guitars for the most part.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

The want I want has been offered to me for a lot more than 700. The owner actually said that he has turned down noffers for 875. I don't know if this guitar is worth 900.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 10:40 PM

Their value has definitely risen over the last few years, due to their increasing scarcity; right now $850-900 is about the price you should expect to pay for one in close to dead mint shape. This may sound odd but if you are undecided but you have the cash to spare I would go for it; their resale value is very good, take the right photo's and who knows you might make money on the guitar if you decide you do not like it. More importantly, you would have at least been able to try out a UCEW1 and decide for yourself whether or not its for you, instead of wondering if that could have been "your" guitar.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the advice. I think I'm going to go for it.

Tags
custom exotic wood , guitar body , neck pickup , playing guitar , sharkfin inlays , tone zone , usa custom exotic wood

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode