Info of Washburn Nunos wanted, including the N2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Info of Washburn Nunos wanted, including the N2

I've gone through any and all Ibanezes that I could afford, and I wanted a change of pace. So I got myself a Nuno, which needs work, but I really like a lot.

Does anyone know of a site that has information on the series? I can't really identify my own so far. It's got the Washburn Floyd, a Duncan in the bridge...maybe the neck, too, but it isn't marked...no tone knob, and no coil tap.

I think I'll keep this one. (I've been a revolving door for guitars lately) I'll definitely change the pickups, and if I can get either an original or Shaller Floyd, all the better. It's keeping its tune pretty good now, but the G string chokes if I pull up on the bar too much. (The lo-pro7 on my RG7620 doesn't do that at ALL)

I know there's no nunosite.com (I just checked, don't wanna make a fool of myself) but if there's something similar, lemme know.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 11:49 PM

If it has a normal strat like neck joint, it's prob a N2. If it has a strange cut away with a Stephens Extended Cutaway logo on the front, it's a N4. But I believe N4 has a Schaller Floyd.

Hope that helps, I had a N2 before, very nice guitar, simple and great neck. But I believe they cxame with Bill Lawrance pickup at the bridge stock.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

Whoops! I was just in the right topic reading, but hit the wrong one when it came time to post.

Yeah, I figured I didn't have an N4, 'cause of the neck joint, and the $200 price tag. But the guy who sold it said N1, which I'd always imagined to have a standard trem bridge.

There's another one in a local guitar shop with a metallic red finish and a tone knob, and it says 'N2' on the truss rod cover.
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 06:46 AM

i think yours is an N2. if it is, it's got a Bill Lawrence X-500 at the bridge and a stock pickup at the neck. and the trem is a cheap crap.

i've got one, it's a very good guitar, great neck and great bridge pickup, also, very handy and light guitar.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

That all checks out except for the Bill Lawrence. Mine's got some sort of Seymour Duncan in the bridge. I'm looking to replace it with the x-500 or possibly a Dimarzio X2N (similar look and output, I've read)

I'm liking this guitar more and more. Maybe I will eventually end up shopping for an N4.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 07:04 AM

damn!
is the X-500 really that powerful?!? gawd!
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 08:18 AM

What was the model name/number of the higher end one they did with exotics?

Was that some limited run thing?
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 10:52 AM

I believe that is the N6. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm wanting to learn about the N series as well.. any other info?
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
The N series from washburn has come in 5 models, the N1,2,3,4 and 8. Nuno had a guitar with an N5 sticker at one point too.

The N1 was the budget option with the vintage trem, it had both pickups as "washburn" brand Available in cream, black and green.

The N2 had a strat style neck joint and washburn branded Floyd rose trem, but did have the Lawrence bridge humbucker but the neckl was a Washburn 600 series I beleive. These were Korean made, had alder bodies, maple necks with rosewood boards and and were available in natural matt, paduak stain and black.

The N3 was a japanese version of the N2, with higher specs/tolerances. A couple of folks here have had them and really praise them.

The N4 is the real deal. And there have been several different versions. The original N4s were made from alder with maple necks and ebony boards. They have Lawrence bridge humbuckers and a seymour duncan 59 at the neck. These were available in originally just natural matt, a pyroxylin wood sealent. They have also been avalable in irridescent finish, sea foam green, powder blue, vintage sunburst and black. I've also seen one in white, I don't beleive it to have been a refinish.

Next came the N4 in Paduak. The dark red/orange wood used on the 3 sides tour and promo. Both the body and neck were of the same wood, and it was only available on sale for a fewyears before the wood's endangered status and/or it's irritant properties or something else entirely forced the withdrawal of this wood as an option I personally think this is the best version.

I believe the rarest of the N4s is the one made from white korina (body and neck). Just 75 of these were made, each one hand signed and numbered by Mr B, the usual tricks, certificate, numbered photo of Nuno signing it etc... it retailed for about 4000 in the 90's and I've only seen one, ever. These also had gold hardware.

There were also N4's made of mahogany with a maple top, available in both black sunburst and cherry sunburst.

The last wood option that springs to mind is the more recent swamp ash version. again with a maple neck and ebony board. These have been available in natural matt, Paduak stain (when the real paduaks were stopped) and black.

The N8 was a twin neck N4 with 6 and 12 string necks, available only in swamp ash.

For the 10th anniversary, they re-issued the paduak version

The newer NX series utilises the N4 body shape, but loses the reverse headstock. it was available in padauk for a while and also some timeless timber version as well as the regular grey one.

I think that's about it. anyone know anything else thats juicy?
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 10:23 PM

I saw Extreme here in Australia during the 3 sides tour and he was playing the Paduak N4. That dame thing never left his hands. Not even for a tune up.

The tone was just amazing. After seeing and hearing it I just had to have one. Once I saw the price I forgot about it. But if I ever found a used one I think I'd lay the dollars down for it.

I have played an N2 and for what it costs it is supprisingly nice to play. I really liked the sound of the L-500 too.

I suppose if you changed the Tremelo and pickups is will be about as close as you could get for the price.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Canberra! Hey, my wife's from Melbourne! Of course, we're talking a difference of hundreds of ks, but it's the same continent, anyway.

Going that route, juicing up an N2 instead of buying an N4, is a way to go, and it's the way I'm going for now. Not only is the N4 really expensive (I was never able to afford a Jem, fer chrissake) but I've also read that the neck is a bit thicker than the N2.

Thanks to Jono for the information. It's just what I was looking for, and probably as much available info as there is on the Nunos. Maybe if I get deep enough into this I'll set up a site.

BTW, I'd never heard Nuno himself apart from More Than Words, but I recently heard something else from Extreme (dunno the title) and he was wailing! I'm really impressed.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalgoth
I'd never heard Nuno himself apart from More Than Words...
bad bad thing!

btw, thanx Jono for such a detailed N-series hystory!
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 02:23 PM

Reviews: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jono
The N series from washburn has come in 5 models, the N1,2,3,4 and 8. Nuno had a guitar with an N5 sticker at one point too.

The N2 had a strat style neck joint and washburn branded Floyd rose trem, but did have the Lawrence bridge humbucker but the neckl was a Washburn 600 series I beleive. These were Korean made, had alder bodies, maple necks with rosewood boards and and were available in natural matt, paduak stain and black.

I think that's about it. anyone know anything else thats juicy?
The original N2's that came out were red had a vol and a tone and the body shape was completely wrong. Basically they were completely wrong full stop. they were some generic washburn metal axe with the correct headstock and a line to hat tip the stephens cutaway at the top horn bit.

They weren't out long.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Here's an update. Surfing eBay I found a Nuno being sold as an N3. This is obviously not the N3 that was mentioned here before. It's actually a guitar with features identical to the N4 except for a cheaper trem, pickups, no pickup rings, different wood (probably) and I'm sure it's not US made. 'What's left?" you may wonder.

It's got the same body shape, with the Stevens neck joint, the same reverse headstock, Buzz Feiten tuning system, H/H with coil tap, it's visibly the same as the N4. I don't know what these were going for originally, but they're selling for under $400 now. I bought one a few months ago and I like it a lot. This guy seems to have an unlimited supply of them, as he's still got multiple auctions of these today.

I've never played an N4, so I don't know how it compares to them, but it beats the N2 I used to have by a mile. I also had an NX3, and this is essentially that guitar, but with minor changes to make it closer to the N4.

So as I see it, if you want a Jem but can't afford it, get an RG550. If you want an N4 but can't afford it, get this.

That guy oughta give me a free case after all this...
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 11:05 PM

My '94 N4 was swamp ash, and it was raw wood. It sounded fine, though the Lawrence didn't do it for me. The Duncan 59 in the neck sounded great. Nice fat neck, like an early 50's tele. The padouks I played didn't do it for me really, either. The sound wasn't nearly as bright and ringy to me as the swamp ash. I sold in '03 for pretty much what I paid for it, which was also pretty cool

Tags
alder bodies , alder body , body shape , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge pickup , buzz feiten , buzz feiten tuning system , coil tap , ebony board , ebony boards , feiten tuning system , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , guitar shop , local guitar shop , maple neck , maple necks , neck joint , pickup ring , pickup rings , reverse headstock , rosewood board , rosewood boards , seymour duncan , strat style , string necks , swamp ash , truss rod , truss rod cover , tuning system , vintage trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode